Stoglin makes All ACC second team; Faust on all freshman team

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW..... Where did all the Faust haters go??? This kid really stepped up his game the last 6 weeks or so.

I think there were only 1 or 2 Faust "haters". He certainly played well down the stretch for a freshman. Needs to cut down the turnovers, but of course he's not really a PG anyway.

1999 when Clempsun's Terrell McIntyre did it.

Really I kind of expected it, since Maryland finished 6-10 in conference, and Stoglin ran out of gas two weeks ago. But, and I may cut my tongue off for saying it, and my fingers for typing it, Mike Scott should be player of the year. I fear it'll be Zeller. But no knock on Zeller, because he had a POY-type season. But Scott was incredible from start to finish.

I'm happy as a Tar Heel fan for Tyler, he had a lot of setbacks early in his career and really became a great ACC player.

That being said, Scott should have won the award.

Rivers was named ROY...unanimously.

Second player ever to get that.

Also, he is a Wooden award finalist.

I don't think its "just because he goes to Duke".

Of course not...That's just an easy way for non fans to justify it in their minds..

There are a few ridiculous responses on this thread. It is what it is. I can't imagine that if anyone is thinking rationally how they can really argue with three Tar Heels.

Rivers was named ROY...unanimously.

Second player ever to get that.

Also, he is a Wooden award finalist.

I don't think its "just because he goes to Duke".

Agree on ROY vote. He was obviously the best rookie, has nothing to do with him going to Duke.

Disagree on Wooden award finalist and All-ACC, though. Doesn't get either of those honors if he plays for Miami.

I'm happy as a Tar Heel fan for Tyler, he had a lot of setbacks early in his career and really became a great ACC player.

That being said, Scott should have won the award.

I really think the UNC/UVA game had did him in. He lost any hype he had after laying an egg that game.

Did everyone hear Turgeon's comments about Stoglin and Faust on his radio show Monday night in College Park on 105.7? He said he told Stoglin he made 2nd team after leading the conference in scoring because all he did was score. He needed to do more to round his game. Right between the eyes Mark......don't change. Faust, Howard and Weijs were in the audience and were interviewed on air. Turgeon loves Faust and had good things to say about him. He also said he needs to give up the Baltimore shots he takes alluding to some of his long and sometimes crazy type shots you see on the playground. Stoglin does the same thing and I think he takes his wild shots knowing that once in awhile you get lucky and he wants to be on the ESPN highlight show.

I think Stoglin is done after this seasons last game. With the stars coming in next season he will not be getting 24 shots a game and he knows he'll average probably like he did down the stretch . He'll average more like 15 points a game if he returns. I think he'll go to the NBA late in the 2nd round as predicted or to Europe to play. He'll probably end up like Jordon Williams on the end of the bench or doing mop up minutes. That would be a shame because he does have offensive skills and could contribute if he played better defense and distributed the ball more.

Agree on ROY vote. He was obviously the best rookie, has nothing to do with him going to Duke.

Disagree on Wooden award finalist and All-ACC, though. Doesn't get either of those honors if he plays for Miami.

If he played for Miami, would they have been a top 5 team, with him being the best player on that team and one that took over many games? If so, then yes he would have been.

If he played for Miami, would they have been a top 5 team, with him being the best player on that team and one that took over many games? If so, then yes he would have been.

You are agreeing that he gets the honor because the team he played for is a top 5 team, and that he wouldn't have gotten it if his team was not a top 5 team? That isn't what individual awards are supposed to be in college basketball.

The only argument I have against Rivers for the 1st Team AACC is Marshall having a historically good season at PG. Rivers is unquestionably amazing, but I would have gone with Marshall. I could see Henson going off of the 1st team to make room for him too....tough call.

You are agreeing that he gets the honor because the team he played for is a top 5 team, and that he wouldn't have gotten it if his team was not a top 5 team? That isn't what individual awards are supposed to be in college basketball.

That's not what they are supposed to be about in any sport...but, it often works out that way.

Archived