Stoglin makes All ACC second team; Faust on all freshman team

You are agreeing that he gets the honor because the team he played for is a top 5 team, and that he wouldn't have gotten it if his team was not a top 5 team? That isn't what individual awards are supposed to be in college basketball.

No, I am saying when you are the best player on one of the best teams in the country and you have a big time year, you get this honor....whether its playing for Duke or Miami.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only argument I have against Rivers for the 1st Team AACC is Marshall having a historically good season at PG. Rivers is unquestionably amazing, but I would have gone with Marshall. I could see Henson going off of the 1st team to make room for him too....tough call.

Some people thought Barnes shouldn't have made it.

Either way, I think you can make a case for any of those 6 being the one left off EXCEPT for Zeller and Scott.

Some people thought Barnes shouldn't have made it.

Either way, I think you can make a case for any of those 6 being the one left off EXCEPT for Zeller and Scott.

Wish Stoglin wouldn't have even got that much so he'd stop kicking around the idea of going pro. MD could actually think about competing again next year if one or two of these freshman are for realz.

Wish Stoglin wouldn't have even got that much so he'd stop kicking around the idea of going pro. MD could actually think about competing again next year if one or two of these freshman are for realz.

He's only leaving if Turge runs him off.

No, I am saying when you are the best player on one of the best teams in the country and you have a big time year, you get this honor....whether its playing for Duke or Miami.

I wouldn't call 15.4 ppg, 3.4 reb, 2.1 ast, .436% shooting, .655% FT, and mediocre at best defense a big time year. It is for a freshman, but not otherwise. That shot against UNC and that whole game are primarily why he is getting these honors imo along with the fact that he was already super hyped going into the year. The year as a whole was good, but not great. Sure, he can be argued as the 5th best player in the ACC, but 6th or 7th seems right and that's with there being a limited number of strong candidates.

I wouldn't call 15.4 ppg, 3.4 reb, 2.1 ast, .436% shooting, .655% FT, and mediocre at best defense a big time year. It is for a freshman, but not otherwise. That shot against UNC and that whole game are primarily why he is getting these honors imo along with the fact that he was already super hyped going into the year. The year as a whole was good, but not great. Sure, he can be argued as the 5th best player in the ACC, but 6th or 7th seems right and that's with there being a limited number of strong candidates.

He was more like 17 ppg in the ACC(at least over like the last 13 or 14 games).

Stoglin, shot the ball on avg 3.3 times a game more than the next guy in the ACC and had the worst FG% out of the top 20 scorers in the ACC

In fairness, a lot of that was due to the team around him. And almost half of his shots were 3's, which obviously brings down the FG%, and he led the league in FT's attempted and made per game.

He was more like 17 ppg in the ACC(at least over like the last 13 or 14 games).

So what? You can't just eliminate games to suit your argument. He scored 23 total points in his first 3 games in the ACC. That's just as much of a part of his resume as the 67 point total over a 3 game stretch.

15.77 per game in the ACC. So not much of a difference between that and his overall ppg.

So what? You can't just eliminate games to suit your argument. He scored 23 total points in his first 3 games in the ACC. That's just as much of a part of his resume as the 67 point total over a 3 game stretch.

15.77 per game in the ACC. So not much of a difference between that and his overall ppg.

You can't possibly be naive enough to think improvement, role changes, etc...don't factor into things. He became their best player and played very well over a large sample of ACC games. He struggled early, as many freshman do.

Again the argument exists for him to be anywhere from 4th to 7th. There is always going to be this argument in almost anything.

You can't possibly be naive enough to think improvement, role changes, etc...don't factor into things. He became their best player and played very well over a large sample of ACC games. He struggled early, as many freshman do.

Again the argument exists for him to be anywhere from 4th to 7th. There is always going to be this argument in almost anything.

It's so sad that you have such trouble making counter points without being so abrasive.

If he struggled in the non-conference play and early ACC play before coming on, you'd have a good point. But he played pretty well in non-conference play, including scoring 20 and 22 against Michigan and Ohio St. And before you say something about the ACC being so much tougher than out of conference play, his 2 really bad early ACC games were at home against GT and Clemson.

It's so sad that you have such trouble making counter points without being so abrasive.

If he struggled in the non-conference play and early ACC play before coming on, you'd have a good point. But he played pretty well in non-conference play, including scoring 20 and 22 against Michigan and Ohio St. And before you say something about the ACC being so much tougher than out of conference play, his 2 really bad early ACC games were at home against GT and Clemson.

1. Freshman hit walls.

2. Conf play is more intense.

3. Anyone watching duke will tell you how much he has improved.

1. Freshman hit walls.

2. Conf play is more intense.

3. Anyone watching duke will tell you how much he has improved.

Alright, well I'm just going to take the next two games out too since he scored 39 points there, but only had 22 in the next two games.

If he hit a wall, that's part of what is to be considered. He doesn't get a pass for hitting a wall.

I don't think hosting GT and Clemson is really more intense than playing Michigan and at Ohio St.

This honor relates to the entire season, at least the entire ACC season. Thus, it only makes sense to use that entire sample.

BTW, statistically speaking, Curry was the better offensive player over the course of the season. Rivers scored 2 more points per game, but did so in 2.9 more minutes, while shooting 1.9 more times from the field and 1.9 more FT's per game. .4 more assists per game as well, but Rivers had .8 more rebounds.

You guys are splitting hairs here. A lot of people earned ALL ACC 1st team honors, only five spots. Rivers did some great things this year and deserved the spot. So did Marshall but someone had to be left out.

I think it's quite the opposite. Not that many guys had really great seasons. Including Rivers, which was my point.

Archived