It sounds like Flaherty is Buck's "Project" for this year.

wildcard

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that Flaherty could also play some corner OF in a pinch so that really negates any reason to carry both Chavez and Miller. I think Miller gets the boot...Johnson makes the team if healthy, Antonelli if Johnson is not.

Flaherty

Johnson/Antonelli

Chavez

Teagarden

I've heard that Flaherty could also play some corner OF in a pinch so that really negates any reason to carry both Chavez and Miller. I think Miller gets the boot...Johnson makes the team if healthy, Antonelli if Johnson is not.

Flaherty

Johnson/Antonelli

Chavez

Teagarden

Too many LH bats. I think Flaherty will have to be really poor with the glove not to make the team. But one of Miller and Antonelli will have to stick, because we need the RH bat to platoon with Betemit. I think Johnson is destined for Norfolk as insurance against Davis tanking.

Too many LH bats. I think Flaherty will have to be really poor with the glove not to make the team. But one of Miller and Antonelli will have to stick, because we need the RH bat to platoon with Betemit. I think Johnson is destined for Norfolk as insurance against Davis tanking.

Hmmm...didn't think about that. You're right but at the same time there are plenty of RH bats in the lineup as regulars. That would take a lot of creativity on Bucks part but I think its plausible.

Or Wieters can DH against a lot of LHP's with Teagarden catching.
I doubt they DH Wieters all that much. Unless you want to risk Andino catching. It would be silly to have a bench with Chavez, Flaherty, and Johnson, with only Teagarden as a RH bat.

Hmmm...didn't think about that. You're right but at the same time there are plenty of RH bats in the lineup as regulars. That would take a lot of creativity on Bucks part but I think its plausible.
You are defeating the purpose of Betemit if you let him bat against LH SP. The best regular starter option against LH SP woule be Reynolds, but then you are replacing his bat at 3B with either Antonelli or Andino. That's giving up a lot. If Miller is more effective against LH SP, then you can keep Reynolds at 3B.

I am not as high on Flaherty as some around here, and I think wildcard is overreacting to what Buck has said. Typically, in the first 15 or so games of spring training, the regulars only play every other day and only for 5 innings or so. That leaves a ton of opportunity to see the bench candidates, especially a guy like Flaherty who has to be returned to the Cubs if he doesn't make the 25-man roster. Therefore, I expect to see Flaherty play a ton over the next two weeks, and show Buck what he's got. If he plays well in that period, he'll continue to play some in the final 10 days or so of spring training, to see how he does facing mostly major league pitchers who by then are rounding into regular season form. Right now the opposing pitchers include a lot of guys who won't be major leaguers, and guys who will be major leaguers but who are still "working on things" in the early part of the spring, so you can't judge too much about a hitter by his results in the early spring. If anything, the O's are probably looking more at how he does in the field right now.

I doubt they DH Wieters all that much. Unless you want to risk Andino catching. It would be silly to have a bench with Chavez, Flaherty, and Johnson, with only Teagarden as a RH bat.

A DH can be moved to the field if necessary. The only consequence is that the pitcher has to be inserted into the lineup. It isn't that big a deal.

Archived