It sounds like Flaherty is Buck's "Project" for this year.

wildcard

I wouldn't be surprised if Buck tries Betemit against lefties. He hit them in 2010.
This would be a very bad decision. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised either.

Betemit's career OPS against lefties is .684, or about 125 points off his OPS vs righties.

The question is, do any of the other options on the roster stand a good chance of hitting lefties better than at a .684 clip?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if Buck tries Betemit against lefties. He hit them in 2010.
I am not as high on Flaherty as some around here, and I think wildcard is overreacting to what Buck has said. Typically, in the first 15 or so games of spring training, the regulars only play every other day and only for 5 innings or so. That leaves a ton of opportunity to see the bench candidates, especially a guy like Flaherty who has to be returned to the Cubs if he doesn't make the 25-man roster. Therefore, I expect to see Flaherty play a ton over the next two weeks, and show Buck what he's got. If he plays well in that period, he'll continue to play some in the final 10 days or so of spring training, to see how he does facing mostly major league pitchers who by then are rounding into regular season form. Right now the opposing pitchers include a lot of guys who won't be major leaguers, and guys who will be major leaguers but who are still "working on things" in the early part of the spring, so you can't judge too much about a hitter by his results in the early spring. If anything, the O's are probably looking more at how he does in the field right now.

Flaherty is definitely a question mark to me. He's a guy who is only a major league hitter if he hits like he did in his half season at AA, repeating the league at 24. His batting line reminded me of Brandon Snyder.

Flaherty is definitely a question mark to me. He's a guy who is only a major league hitter if he hits like he did in his half season at AA, repeating the league at 24. His batting line reminded me of Brandon Snyder.

That actually is a very good analogy. I'd say Flaherty has more power, and he is more versatile defensively, so he has a leg up on Snyder, but they are pretty comparable.

That actually is a very good analogy. I'd say Flaherty has more power, and he is more versatile defensively, so he has a leg up on Snyder, but they are pretty comparable.

Not sure of the point. They both had good AA numbers. But where does the comparison go from there? Are you saying because Snyder took a dump above AA that Flaherty will, too? That, in and of itself, makes no sense. Also, Flaherty's defensive versatility, which you (Frobby) acknowledged makes a big difference. He's played more than 100 games at each of 2B, SS, and 3B and last year got some experience (although not a lot) at LF and RF. Snyder was pretty much limited to 1B, although he did have some early experience at 3B and even C.

I don't expect to see Flaherty as our starting 2Bman any time soon. But, I do think it's worth keeping him over someone like Miller. It doesn't prevent them from keeping Antonelli. And, Johnson is on a AAA contract anyway, so we can park him in Norfolk in the event of an injury or poor performance by Davis or Betemit.

Just wish there was this much interest in the starting lineup decisions! Looks like everything is pretty much set there, for better or worse.

Not sure of the point. They both had good AA numbers. But where does the comparison go from there? Are you saying because Snyder took a dump above AA that Flaherty will, too? That, in and of itself, makes no sense.

Small sample size, but he kind of already did. He put up a .900+ OPS in AA, then got moved to AAA and posted a .237/.277/.399 line at Iowa. The same Iowa where Felix Pie had nearly a 1.000 OPS at age 22, and Scott Moore had an .899 at 23.

Antonelli has an option, right? If so, I think he goes to Norfolk and Miller and Flaherty stay simply to avoid losing anyone. Johnson goes to Norfolk unless someone else offers him a job, which I think is unlikely.

I am not as high on Flaherty as some around here, and I think wildcard is overreacting to what Buck has said. Typically, in the first 15 or so games of spring training, the regulars only play every other day and only for 5 innings or so. That leaves a ton of opportunity to see the bench candidates, especially a guy like Flaherty who has to be returned to the Cubs if he doesn't make the 25-man roster. Therefore, I expect to see Flaherty play a ton over the next two weeks, and show Buck what he's got. If he plays well in that period, he'll continue to play some in the final 10 days or so of spring training, to see how he does facing mostly major league pitchers who by then are rounding into regular season form. Right now the opposing pitchers include a lot of guys who won't be major leaguers, and guys who will be major leaguers but who are still "working on things" in the early part of the spring, so you can't judge too much about a hitter by his results in the early spring. If anything, the O's are probably looking more at how he does in the field right now.

Time will teil if my comments are an overeaction.

I have read somewhere, though I can't find it right now, that Flaherty is going to be given every chance to make the team this spring. I have been much higher of Antonelli than Flaherty but that opinion does not seem to be shared by the O's management. It appears to me that right now Flaherty is getting more attention. Maybe because of his contract status, maybe just because they like what they have seen of Flaherty.

I agree that ST is a process that gets harder and that Flaherty may not make the cut but it probably will not be because he didn't get every opportunity to succeed.

Time will teil if my comments are an overeaction.

I have read somewhere, though I can't find it right now, that Flaherty is going to be given every chance to make the team this spring. I have been much higher of Antonelli than Flaherty but that opinion does not seem to be shared by the O's management. It appears to me that right now Flaherty is getting more attention. Maybe because of his contract status, maybe just because they like what they have seen of Flaherty.

I agree that ST is a process that gets harder and that Flaherty may not make the cut but it probably will not be because he didn't get every opportunity to succeed.

Well, I am not disagreeing that he will get every opportunity to succeed. There's no point at all to selecting someone in the Rule 5 draft if you aren't going to do that. At the same time, I wouldn't read too much into how much "attention" Flaherty is getting. Joe Mahoney leads the team with 10 plate appearances, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean much at all. Antonelli is going to get his chances.

Small sample size, but he kind of already did. He put up a .900+ OPS in AA, then got moved to AAA and posted a .237/.277/.399 line at Iowa. The same Iowa where Felix Pie had nearly a 1.000 OPS at age 22, and Scott Moore had an .899 at 23.

His numbers at AAA last year are a bit worrisome to me, albeit in a small sample. However, the fact that he has hit well at every at level of the minors up until that point is encouraging. Plus the fact that he is out of options and provides good D at multiple positions probably makes it his job to lose.

Antonelli has an option, right? If so, I think he goes to Norfolk and Miller and Flaherty stay simply to avoid losing anyone. Johnson goes to Norfolk unless someone else offers him a job, which I think is unlikely.

This. Miller they got fairly cheap and has shown good power in the minors. They are going to give him a chance to prove he doesn't belong. I just don't see any way Flaherty is given back, versatility and many people believe he can hit aside from the numbers he's put up.

Betemit's career OPS against lefties is .684, or about 125 points off his OPS vs righties.

The question is, do any of the other options on the roster stand a good chance of hitting lefties better than at a .684 clip?

I don't think it's that simple. Against lefties I'd like to see Mark Reynolds shifted to DH and Antonelli or Flaherty plugged in at 3B. If Antonelli or Flaherty can post a .700 OPS vs. lefties then Buck gets an offensive upgrade, but their defense should be an easy upgrade over that of Reynolds in any case. That's how this roster is built.

His numbers at AAA last year are a bit worrisome to me, albeit in a small sample. However, the fact that he has hit well at every at level of the minors up until that point is encouraging. Plus the fact that he is out of options and provides good D at multiple positions probably makes it his job to lose.

He's been a good, but not great, offensive performer in the minors. And he's been a ok fielder, from what I can grasp. Nobody seems to think he's a plus fielder anywhere. My guess is that his MLB role, if he has one, is as a kind of Ty Wigginton. Somewhere in the Wigginton, Aaron Boone, Tim Hulett, Jeff King range.

He's been a good, but not great, offensive performer in the minors. And he's been a ok fielder, from what I can grasp. Nobody seems to think he's a plus fielder anywhere. My guess is that his MLB role, if he has one, is as a kind of Ty Wigginton. Somewhere in the Wigginton, Aaron Boone, Tim Hulett, Jeff King range.

I seem to recall reading he'd be a plus defender at third, but the question being if his bat would play well enough there. Obviously he's a flawed prospect in some ways or he wouldn't have even been available in the rule 5 draft. I think everyone would prefer a prospect who tore up AAA at age 21 but there is something to said for guys that can adapt at different levels (even if it takes them longer).

It just occured to me that there exists another kind of larger-than-normal, defensive-challenged second baseman who killed the ball at AA Tennessee at an advanced age, then was picked in the Rule 5 draft: Dan Uggla.

I guess that might be what Ryan Flaherty becomes if everything works out great. Dan Uggla. Anybody agree/disagree?

It just occured to me that there exists another kind of larger-than-normal, defensive-challenged second baseman who killed the ball at AA Tennessee at an advanced age, then was picked in the Rule 5 draft: Dan Uggla.

I guess that might be what Ryan Flaherty becomes if everything works out great. Dan Uggla. Anybody agree/disagree?

Dan Uggla would be good. But if they think Flaherty can play ss (at least backup there) why is he necessarily as bad as Dan Uggla? Most of us have never seen the guy play and it's not like we have defensive stats that mean anything. We've got some sporadic scouting reports.

Archived