It sounds like Flaherty is Buck's "Project" for this year.

wildcard

My guess is Buck wants Andino to spend as much time as possible at 2B this spring so he'll be ready to play good defense there. It's a huge plus for Flaherty if he can be a serviceable SS backup option, even though I think Andino would be moved there if Hardy was injured.

I think that's right. Andino was essentially learning second base last year and got markedly better as the year progressed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to point out that Reynolds will not have enough service time to be a free agent next year. The O's can decline to pick up his option and still negotiate a contract of any length with him including a one year. He is tied to the O's for 2013 unless the O's trade or release him. He will be arbitration eligible.

I did not realize that either. Assumed he was a FA. With only a 500k buyout I guess there might be something there in a negotiated contract or even arbitration. Maybe 7 mil.

Doesn't having a buyout stipulate Free agency?

No, it is simply a payment you make if you don't exercise the option to lock him in at $11.5 mm. I'd say there's a good chance the O's will pay the buyout and try to negotiate a new contract in lieu of going to arbitration.

No, it is simply a payment you make if you don't exercise the option to lock him in at $11.5 mm. I'd say there's a good chance the O's will pay the buyout and try to negotiate a new contract in lieu of going to arbitration.

That is a big deal then with his odds of staying next year being much higher in my book.

Archived