NCAA Tournament Thread

Pedro Cerrano

I was thinking about it too, but I always have a hard time going against Izzo.

Which is why I don't really want to pick Memphis...but this team is on a roll and MSU lost a key bench guy.

Both teams are in the top 10 of Kenpom's rankings, with MSU a little higher.

Memphis should have been a higher seed, so they get screwed a little bit here but still, I like their athleticism and I believe they have a few NBA prospects as well.

I know everyone is on the Mizzou bandwagon but after watching their coach at Miami all these years, I just can't trust them.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
c

By the way, North Carolina and Duke have never met in the NCAA tournament.

Wouldn't that be something if they met each other in the title game? :wedge:

Maybe in some future year...Duke won't be anywhere near the FF this time.

Don't count out St. Louis against Memphis. Two completely different styles of play: athletic, transition Memphis team vs. the slow, methodical, pound-it-in-to-the-big-guys offense for SLU.

Will the young gun Pastner win or will he get schooled by vet Majerus?

I'm taking SLU, but really, both teams are underseeded and got snubbed.

Maybe in some future year...Duke won't be anywhere near the FF this time.

I tend to agree but who knows.

When Duke won the title, many of the same things being said about them now were being said...the difference was they had better leadership.

And, funny enough, Baylor was the big, long, athletic team that no one thought Duke could beat.

Its very similar this time around.

If UCONN or Iowa St upset Kentucky, then that bracket really opens up.

I have Duke losing in the sweet 16 and feel their second round game is going to give them trouble but outside of Kentucky, there is no "scary" team in their bracket.

I would much rather be playing the 7/10 game that Kansas is getting but I am glad to not have to play Florida in round 2 like Mizzou will likely have to do.

In fact, I think teams like MSU, Kentucky and Cuse will likely play teams that would have been worse matchups for Duke than what they are going to see.

Don't count out St. Louis against Memphis. Two completely different styles of play: athletic, transition Memphis team vs. the slow, methodical, pound-it-in-to-the-big-guys offense for SLU.

Will the young gun Pastner win or will he get schooled by vet Majerus?

I'm taking SLU, but really, both teams are underseeded and got snubbed.

Yep..St Louis is good and play excellent defense...I just personally believe Memphis is overall too talented for St Louis.

I tend to agree but who knows.

When Duke won the title, many of the same things being said about them now were being said...the difference was they had better leadership.

And, funny enough, Baylor was the big, long, athletic team that no one thought Duke could beat.

Its very similar this time around.

That Duke team played extremely well in February and early March. Once Zoubek found his role they were a totally different team than they had been in December and January. So, by the time the Tournament began, there was no doubt in my mind they could make a run.

This year's team simply isn't as good. Rivers is a big-time talent, but his lack of experience still shows at times. If he sticks around for another year and Duke can pull in a couple of the big fish they are chasing, they could be a threat next year, but they simply aren't a championship caliber team this year.

That Duke team played extremely well in February and early March. Once Zoubek found his role they were a totally different team than they had been in December and January. So, by the time the Tournament began, there was no doubt in my mind they could make a run.

This year's team simply isn't as good. Rivers is a big-time talent, but his lack of experience still shows at times. If he sticks around for another year and Duke can pull in a couple of the big fish they are chasing, they could be a threat next year, but they simply aren't a championship caliber team this year.

Well, Miles has kind of taken on the Zoubek role.

What this Duke team doesn't have that the 2010 team had was that difficult matchup wing player, like Singler. Kelly just isn't as talented as Singler was. Singler was very skilled.

They also aren't as good at the FT line or, especially defensively.

HOWEVER, this Duke team does have someone that can get his shot whenever he wants. They are more athletic as well.

I would say that the 2010 team had a much better chance to win the title than this one but the 2 teams are similar in many ways...but the real big difference is defense. Singler was actually a much better defensive player than he was given credit for and he was probably the single biggest difference between the 2 teams.

Its all about matchups, so we shall see. Hopefully they play ND and not Xavier in round 2.

I will be disappointed(but not shocked) if this team doesn't get to the s16. If they lose in the sweet 16, I will of course be disappointed but it would be a different level of disappointment than if they lost on Sunday.

I have pegged them as a sweet 16 team and likely not further since before the season started but if they get the right matchups, they are talented enough to go further....and if they can shoot well from the outside, they will be very tough to beat.

c

By the way, North Carolina and Duke have never met in the NCAA tournament.

Wouldn't that be something if they met each other in the title game? :wedge:

They were in the same region, maybe 8 years ago. Duke was the 1, and UNC was 6 or 7. UNC ended up getting eliminated by Texas in the second round before they got the chance to meet.

They were in the same region, maybe 8 years ago. Duke was the 1, and UNC was 6 or 7. UNC ended up getting eliminated by Texas in the second round before they got the chance to meet.

And of course, the 1991 Final Four..Had we beaten Kansas in the game Coach Smith got tossed, we'd have met for the National Title. Can you imagine??

Yep....but I still have GTown advancing.

The thing about them is they play great defense and physically should manhandle Belmont.

Of course, you can say that most years and they find a way to choke it away.

I wouldn't say that. I'm a Hoyas fan and our defense hasn't been that great the last couple seasons. Average at best. I'd say the last above average defensive team before this year was the year after our last Final Four run when we lost to Davidson in round 2. This year we have a lot more length and athleticism than we have had recently. We're a lot less susceptible to being upset this year because our defense is so much better than the ones that lost to Ohio and VCU.

-I was so ready to have Missouri out by the round of 16 but then they have to go and put them in the weakest region that they could win. Probably will have to hedge and have them in the Elite 8. Could easily see them as the first top 8 team out losing to either Florida or Virginia. I have no idea who to take out of the Midwest. I think 7 or 8 teams could win that region.

-Duke playing 1st two in Greensboro should help some. Plus, IMO Xavier/ND isn't a bad 2nd round matchup. I do agree that Baylor/ UNLV is a tough matchup.

- WVU/ OH St at Pitt could be a really good 2nd round matchup. If OH St passes that test I don't see how it isn't a Cuse/ Oh ST regional final.Cuse scares me a little but I don't see anyone in the top half of their draw that is much of a threat. Wisconsin maybe but there is no way I can take Wisconsin to the Final FOur.

-Same as above for UNC/ Kansas. It's tough for me to see either of these two not getting to the Elite 8.

Elite 8 will be UNC, Kansas, Cuse, Oh St, Kentucky,UNLV Mich St, Missou

Final FOur: Cuse, Kansas, Kentucky, Mich St

Final: Kentucky over Kansas

Upset alerts for rounds 1 and 2:

Georgetown losing to Belmont or San Diego St

Florida/Virginia over Missouri

Cal/USF over Temple

Harvard over Vandy

LBSU over New Mexico

Ohio over Michigan

VCU over Wich St

NMST over Indiana