Jai Miller - 4th Outfielder?

Slappy

With a 3-run dong in today's game, Jai Miller has been one of the most impressive players in camp. And unlike Jake Fox, he's considered an excellent defender as well, with the ability to play any of the 3 outfield positions.

Have we found our 4th outfielder? Buck seems to love the guy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a 3-run dong in today's game, Jai Miller has been one of the most impressive players in camp. And unlike Jake Fox, he's considered an excellent defender as well, with the ability to play any of the 3 outfield positions.

Leadoff hitter Endy Chavez is the 4th outfielder. But Jai is definitely a strong contender as the 5th.

Competition going on in ST:

1. Starting rotation

2. 4th OF'er

3. UTIL'er

1. Too early to tell and at this point we will not get any info from DD or Buck on this situation. :drek::noidea:

2. Chavez is the top dog for this spot. Miller is a dark horse looking in.

3. Johnson, Flaherty, Antonelli, who knows :noidea:

Why do you say Buck seems to love the guy? His comments on Sunday didn't exactly strike me as effusive praise:

"You have to keep in mind that Jai hasn't played a whole lot of baseball. And that's one of the things where being out of options kind of hurts players. As much as it's there to protect them, it kind of hurts them because it's just tough to get them to a place unless they clear. He's been a prior outright, so we're looking at him defensively and what he might be able to do for us as an extra outfielder."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/03/showalter-speaks-after-2-1-victory.html

I think Jai Miller is a sleeper and will be the starting left fielder by the end of the season.

I think he has way too much trouble making contact for that to happen. Only way I see your scenario as feasible is if Nolan is hurt/severely crashes and Chavez gets traded.

I see Miller as Felix Pie part II. I hope Buck doesnt fall for the toolsy hype.
Miller is very sound fundamentally. He plays good D at all OF positions, has speed on the bases, and hits for power. He just K's too much. Could be usefull as a RH DH.

Miller is very sound fundamentally. He plays good D at all OF positions, has speed on the bases, and hits for power. He just K's too much. Could be usefull as a RH DH.

Why would you put Miller at DH is when he is quite possibly better defensively then the O's two right handed outfielders?

At the very least, it will be good to have a guy like Miller down in Norfolk...someone to keep an eye on during the season and a potential piece to plug into the MLB team if someone gets hurt or doesn't perform. I'd much rather have Miller over Chavez but the depth might not be a bad thing. Also, remember, this is ST. Jake Fox hit 10 HR in spring training last year.

After Fox, Reimold, Snyder and Markakis' 2011 spring training, I no longer put any stock whatsover in spring training stats for hitters. All I care about is whether or not they're healthy. I put slightly more stock in pitchers' stats - although not much - simply because you can get a rudimentary evaluation of where their stuff stands.

It'd be great if Miller figured things out with us, but if Fox can hit seven or eight home runs during spring and Josh Bell can hit a couple off Cliff Lee, Miller taking Price deep doesn't hold much water for me. That said, however, I'd love to see what Chavez and Miller could do if we trade Jones. I still think Jones will be traded, but I think this summer is far more likely, a la Hunter Pence.

Archived