Brian Roberts: I am concerned

srock

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So? He says he" wacked" himself. That could mean any number of things, from a mob hit, to a dog getting a newspaper on his butt while being house trained. The point I'm making is the average ML ballplayer generates a bat speed of about 76 mph. The helmet is designed to absorb the impact of a 90 mph ML FB. You simply cannot generate anything near that kind of force while holding the bat in front of you with both hands. I do urge you to try this at home. Often.

There is such a thing as too many blows to the head. Not necessarily one incident.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/02/big-idea/concussions-text

Also judging by your request from no where for me to beat myself senseless I don't anticipate any civil discussions about the article.

There is such a thing as too many blows to the head. Not necessarily one incident.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/02/big-idea/concussions-text

Also judging by your request from no where for me to beat myself senseless I don't anticipate any civil discussions about the article.

Exactly my point and many of those blows came as a result of sliding head first on SB geting upended on DP's. The helmet hit, tap wack, whatever could just as well be the straw that broke the camels head. BTW my request didn't come from no where. The fact that you don't know where it came from, is a big reason why it came in the first place.

The helmet hit, tap wack, whatever could just as well be the straw that broke the camels head.

Or the continuous striking to his helmet could be the cause. Who are you to say one way or another? Seems presumptuous to me but I guess that would make sense.

Maybe I'm losing it here but I feel like I remember seeing Brian firmly smack himself in the head with his bat literally dozens of times. Chalking that up to a "light helmet tap" seems disingenuous to me.

To be specific, I didn't say "light helmet tap" I said "helmet tap" and according to the article I read it was something he had done pretty routinely after making an out for many years. Thump, whack smack .... whatever. I agree it's not good to repeatedly do that and can only be bad. My position was it may have likely been a contributing factor. I am not a brain surgeon or a medical professional. I kinda agree with El Gordo that the helmet should mitigate the effect and there have been other more serious incidents with Roberts related to his style of play that lead me to believe it wasn't the primary cause. If your opinion is it was the primary and more significant factor over the other impacts related to his style of play, that's fine. Who am I to say you're wrong.

Since we are adding baseball economics guys, specialty trainers, psychologists and others to our staff, maybe we should consider a risk management/safety guy. That way when we see guys smacking themselves in the head, sticking their fingers in electrical outlets, or ramming baseballs up ther anus they can write a report and head of a serious injury.

Why on earth would Roberts retire last Oct. 4th? That renders your argument absurd. For all intents and purposes the 10 M was spent He couldn't be expected to retire that soon, before even finding out if therapy for his concussion would be effective. And he really can't be expected to retire anyway. The best you can hope for is that some sort of settlement can be negotiated. And not knowing what Roberts health would be this spring, it would have been a mistake to spend 10 M on some short term stop gap. What they are doing is about the only thing they could be doing.

BRob retiring on Oct. 4 was a hypothetical meant to illustrate my point which I still don't think you understand. Let me rephrase. From the standpoint of strategy, can we agree that certainty is always better than uncertainty? Along the same lines, more payroll flexibility is always better than less. BRob's status provides a heckuva lot of uncertainty and the $10 million that's already been committed is currently in danger of returning no value for the expenditure. I think that's a bigger problem than evidently you do.

Yeah, so far that has cost us one spot on the 40 Man Roster. Gee, if only he would have retired we could have kept Pedro Florimon.

Remember, your original response to my concern about the uncertainty BRob's ongoing concussion symptoms foster was to equate the situation with the mild inconvenience of losing Pedro Florimon. If there's any absurdity in our dialogue, it lies there.

No one expects him to walk away from a guaranteed $20 million, so let's say he didn't retire outright, but instead restructured his contract freeing up a significant amount of money for the 2012 season and beyond. You're correct that this is the only realistic alternative under the circumstances. Nonetheless, the two points in the post of mine that you're not really responding to remain just as valid as if BRob had retired save for the difference in amount.

Uncertainty is paralyzing. I think it goes without saying that if there was a significant fraction of $10 million also available to Duquette a few months ago, the offseason would have played out much differently whether the additional budget was devoted to the 2B position or elsewhere.

BRob retiring on Oct. 4 was a hypothetical meant to illustrate my point which I still don't think you understand. Let me rephrase. From the standpoint of strategy, can we agree that certainty is always better than uncertainty? Along the same lines, more payroll flexibility is always better than less. BRob's status provides a heckuva lot of uncertainty and the $10 million that's already been committed is currently in danger of returning no value for the expenditure. I think that's a bigger problem than evidently you do.

Remember, your original response to my concern about the uncertainty BRob's ongoing concussion symptoms foster was to equate the situation with the mild inconvenience of losing Pedro Florimon. If there's any absurdity in our dialogue, it lies there.

No one expects him to walk away from a guaranteed $20 million, so let's say he didn't retire outright, but instead restructured his contract freeing up a significant amount of money for the 2012 season and beyond. You're correct that this is the only realistic alternative under the circumstances. Nonetheless, the two points in the post of mine that you're not really responding to remain just as valid as if BRob had retired save for the difference in amount.

Uncertainty is paralyzing. I think it goes without saying that if there was a significant fraction of $10 million also available to Duquette a few months ago, the offseason would have played out much differently whether the additional budget was devoted to the 2B position or elsewhere.

It is realistic only in the near future should Roberts experience a setback. To think he would agree to restructure his contract last fall, in time to make some of the money saved, available for use in FA etc., is just as unrealistic as to think he would retire. His doctor is on record as saying he will recover, and he will be able to play again. What is uncertain is when that will happen, and how well he will be able to perform. There is nothing the Orioles can do, or could have done, about that.

To be specific, I didn't say "light helmet tap" I said "helmet tap" and according to the article I read it was something he had done pretty routinely after making an out for many years. Thump, whack smack .... whatever. I agree it's not good to repeatedly do that and can only be bad. My position was it may have likely been a contributing factor. I am not a brain surgeon or a medical professional. I kinda agree with El Gordo that the helmet should mitigate the effect and there have been other more serious incidents with Roberts related to his style of play that lead me to believe it wasn't the primary cause. If your opinion is it was the primary and more significant factor over the other impacts related to his style of play, that's fine. Who am I to say you're wrong.

Since we are adding baseball economics guys, specialty trainers, psychologists and others to our staff, maybe we should consider a risk management/safety guy. That way when we see guys smacking themselves in the head, sticking their fingers in electrical outlets, or ramming baseballs up ther anus they can write a report and head of a serious injury.

Stop it! Completely humorous posts are not allowed when readers laugh so hard they have to pick up their mobile phones to continue reading said post. In the future, please refrain from such hilarity.

Thank you.

...I hit myself on the helmet on purpose...I also experinced being struck in the forehead when I was about 8, when I accidently got too close to some high school age kid taking practice swings in the on deck circle. It was the back swing, but still a lot harder than I could hit myself with a bat. I wasn't wearing a helmet then, and I didn't experience concussion symptoms...

This explains so, so much.

Archived