Hammel/Chen/Hunter/Matusz/Arrieta -- a solid starting five?

Frobby

For right now, my starting five is Hammel, Chen, Hunter, Matusz, Arrieta -- put in that order because I think Buck will want to split up the two lefties. Assuming that's it, how decent of a starting five can that be?

Right now, my gut feeling is that it's no worse than average. Clearly missing an ace, but the back end seems very strong to me. And, there's good depth in case someone gets hurt or performs poorly.

Sign me up for the Orioles' starters making a very significant jump from last year. Of course, the whole season depends on it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hammel and Hunter are probably #3s at best and #5s at worst - low-risk, low-reward.

Chen, pending possible durability issues, is probably about a #3 as well.

Matusz and Arrieta are wildcards. Before we get too overenthusiastic, let's remember that Brian Matusz is coming off the worst season ever by a starting pitcher. I have every hope that he'll turn it around, but if he's even close to his performance last year, he's not a "strong back end" guy.

I agree with you - I think our rotation is going to be above average, especially because of the depth that we have. Guys like Britton, Wada, Eveland, Tillman, Bergesen, Simon, etc. can fill in the gaps when attrition occurs. Early indications seem to be that Matusz will rebound and that Arrieta will continue progressing from last year. If these things happen, and Chen can give us ~180 innings of a ~4.00 ERA, our rotation could really be awesome. I'm pumped for the season to get started.

For right now, my starting five is Hammel, Chen, Hunter, Matusz, Arrieta -- put in that order because I think Buck will want to split up the two lefties. Assuming that's it, how decent of a starting five can that be?

Right now, my gut feeling is that it's no worse than average. Clearly missing an ace, but the back end seems very strong to me. And, there's good depth in case someone gets hurt or performs poorly.

Sign me up for the Orioles' starters making a very significant jump from last year. Of course, the whole season depends on it.

I think so far Hammel, Chen and Matusz are earning their way to a rotation spot. They have to keep doing what the are doing and they should be in the rotation on opening day. However Hunter and Arrieta still have more to prove. Neither has gone 4 innings in a spring training game. Arrieta's last ST game was a stinker. Hunter has yet to play a ST game. For me its a little too early to choose a rotation.

Here's my question:

Hammel

Matusz

Arrieta

Chen

Hunter

Simon

Eveland

Wada

Patton

Gregg

Ayala

Strop

Lindstrom

JJ

have legitimate shots to make th OD roster.

That's 14 guys for 12 spots. Matuzs and Arrieta have options so if they are sent down nobody has to go. But if you want to keep Matusz and Arrieta in the rotation, two other guys have to be traded or released. Hammel, Chen, Wada, Lindstrom, and JJ are locks barring injury IMO. So which of Simon, Hunter, Eveland Gregg, Ayala, Strop or Patton to you use to make room? I think it is most likely Patton or Strop, because they are young, cheap, and have the most upside. Is having Matusz and Arrieta in the rotation OD, worth trading Patton and Strop?

Here's my question:

Hammel

Matusz

Arrieta

Chen

Hunter

Simon

Eveland

Wada

Patton

Gregg

Ayala

Strop

Lindstrom

JJ

That's 14 guys for 12 spots. Matuzs and Arrieta have options so if they are sent down nobody has to go. But if you want to keep Matusz and Arrieta in the rotation, two other guys have to be traded or released. Hammel, Chen, Wada, Lindstrom, and JJ are locks barring injury IMO. So which of Simon, Hunter, Eveland Gregg, Ayala, Strop or Patton to you use to make room? I think it is most likely Patton or Strop, because they are young, cheap, and have the most upside. Is having Matusz and Arrieta in the rotation OD, worth trading Patton and Strop?

Just read Soria may be out for the season with KC. Perhaps Gregg? ha...

Here's my question:

Hammel

Matusz

Arrieta

Chen

Hunter

Simon

Eveland

Wada

Patton

Gregg

Ayala

Strop

Lindstrom

JJ

It seems like Simon will start the season on the DL and Wada may also. If Wada sticks, Eveland will be released.

It seems like Simon will start the season on the DL and Wada may also. If Wada sticks, Eveland will be released.
I see no reason why Wada would be on the DL unless he has a set back. He looked fine yesterday. I also don't see them releasing Eveland. He has looked decent as well.

I see no reason why Wada would be on the DL unless he has a set back. He looked fine yesterday. I also don't see them releasing Eveland. He has looked decent as well.

Even though he pitched well yesterday, Wada is still behind some of the other pitchers due to his previous injury. I see the O's keeping him at extended Spring Training while on the DL to start the season. Its another way to avoid releasing a player such as Eveland.

Not quite sure how you can say no worse than average.

Hammel was terrible last year...We have no idea what to expect from Chen. Hunter is probably more of a reliever than starter, BMat has to bounce back and Arrieta has to show command, control and health.

This rotation can be anything from very good to having a bunch of BP guys and failed prospects and ending up having to piece together a rotation with Eveland, BB and bubble gum.

Hopefully by May or so, Britton will be able to come up and move Chen or Hunter to the pen.

Even though he pitched well yesterday, Wada is still behind some of the other pitchers due to his previous injury. I see the O's keeping him at extended Spring Training while on the DL to start the season. Its another way to avoid releasing a player such as Eveland.
The way Wada looked yesterday, he would be very effective in the bullpen, He still has time to extend himself bfore OD. He won't be on the DL unless he reinjures the elbow.

The way Wada looked yesterday, he would be very effective in the bullpen, He still has time to extend himself bfore OD. He won't be on the DL unless he reinjures the elbow.

I agree w/ SG that the down-side estimate isn't average - though I think the 50% prediction is around average. There's not a lot of upside there - Matusz as a No. 2, Arrieta as a likely No. 2-3 (for some reason I see Gil Meche), Chen and Hammel as No. 3-4, with Hunter your prototypical back-end. But they each have a puncher's chance of being solid-to-decent.

I agree w/ SG that the down-side estimate isn't average - though I think the 50% prediction is around average. There's not a lot of upside there - Matusz as a No. 2, Arrieta as a likely No. 2-3 (for some reason I see Gil Meche), Chen and Hammel as No. 3-4, with Hunter your prototypical back-end. But they each have a puncher's chance of being solid-to-decent.
So basically we are lacking a SP with the upside of a #1. Maybe when Bundy gets here we won't. Or maybe if enough of these guys pitch close to their upside, we sign someone like Hmels next winter.

Archived