Simon waived?

Can_of_corn

It would be just our luck the Yankees would claim him and pitch him against us. And then he would hit Markakis, Jones and Hardy like he already hit Jeter, Tex and Swisher in the last year or so. We can see if crybaby Girardi is outraged then.

If he was indeed waived, a bit surprising, but nothing for me to lose sleep over. Others have outperformed him and are more consistent.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This move gets a shoulder shrug from me. His role was important for Baltimore because they always have 4 starters who go long stretches were they cant throw 5 innings, so Simon was used as a sacrificial lamb so to speak, but Simon was not indipensable.

Everything I've read from Buck says they want to stretch Wada to be a starter. They don't want him to be a RP because they feel it is too much readjusting for him. Roch has said he thinks they may DL Wada and have him stay at extended ST to build up his arm. I don't see them going with him as a long reliever right now. Maybe later after he has been given a shot in the rotation. They may be waiving Simon to get a trade, but I don't see them releasing him out right, or letting him go for salary relief or roster space.

so wait people are actually upset/confused/frustrated with the O's placing Simon on waivers!? :rofl:

:laughlol::laughlol::laughlol::laughlol::laughlol::laughlol:

Seems that way...hard to believe, he is 30 years old with 184 career innings pitching to a 5.18 ERA.

If you're going to be putting anyone on waivers it's Kevin Gregg.

I think this is more the root cause of the people are are upset with Simon being waived. There were other players who could/should have been waived first. Miller being one and Gregg being the other. As for Simon being waived I will wait to see what the final outcome is before I form an opinion. Yes I think Simon is slightly better value than others but let's see what happens. Maybe there is a reason he was waived first. Maybe they feel they can trade him or maybe they feel they need to wait and waive/DFA Miller and others later for other reasons.

As for Gregg I just have the sinking feeling he will be on the roster all year no matter how bad he is. One thing this organization has shown is they are not afraid to hold a fart in too long and end up sh*tting their pants in the end. Gregg has shown plenty enough to know he just isn't effective and to hold onto him just because they are paying him a certain salary and because he is a vet really makes me mad.

So, let me see if I can summarize the difference between being designated for assignment vs. being placed on revocable waivers for purpose of outrighting to AAA:

DFA

- If player is claimed, the original team cannot pull it back

- The claiming team has to put the player on their 25-man roster

- If not claimed, the player remains on the original team's 40-man roster

- If not claimed, the original team has to pay the player's contractual salary even if in AAA

Revocable waivers

- If player is claimed, the original team can revoke waivers, or try to work out a trade, or just let the player go

- The claiming team only has to put the player on its 40-man roster

- If not claimed, the player comes off the original team's 40-man roster but remains in the organization

- If not claimed, the original team only has to pay the player a minor league salary (?)

Do I have this right? If so, does it make sense to DFA Eveland ($750k salary), as opposed to putting him on waivers? Did it make sense to put Simon on waivers, as opposed to DFAing him? Just trying to understand all the ramifications of doing this one way vs. the other.

I think this is more the root cause of the people are are upset with Simon being waived. There were other players who could/should have been waived first. Miller being one and Gregg being the other. As for Simon being waived I will wait to see what the final outcome is before I form an opinion. Yes I think Simon is slightly better value than others but let's see what happens. Maybe there is a reason he was waived first. Maybe they feel they can trade him or maybe they feel they need to wait and waive/DFA Miller and others later for other reasons.

As for Gregg I just have the sinking feeling he will be on the roster all year no matter how bad he is. One thing this organization has shown is they are not afraid to hold a fart in too long and end up sh*tting their pants in the end. Gregg has shown plenty enough to know he just isn't effective and to hold onto him just because they are paying him a certain salary and because he is a vet really makes me mad.

I don't believe Gregg should go north with the team but I don't believe that DD will hold onto Gregg all year if he is stinking up the joint. DD didn't sign him and DD has already shown that he will release someone if they don't perform, as he did with Evaland. So if Gregg doesn't do well in April I don't believe he will make it through May.

That lack of faith has got something to do with putting Alfredo Simon on waivers?

Sure. Kind of. I don't have faith, at this point, that this was the right move, and at first glance it's just one more move for which I fail to see any coherent rationale. None of these, standing alone, are terrible. It's just one sub-optimal, inefficient, decision after another.

More importantly, I'm generally pretty good at discerning an over-arching logic/strategy to how GMs behave. I can't do it here. Maybe it means that Duquette is just playing a wholly different brand of chess and that I'm simply not smart enough to follow. After interviews, a survey of his history, and a bevy of decisions to consider - and, arrogant or not (why stop now?) - I don't think so.

Archived