Orioles Announce New Maryland License Plates

Oriology

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the telling thing here is that there are over 5.8 million people living in Maryland according to the latest Census, and the plate for out MLB team maxes out at 9,999.

And, I wonder how many they'll actually sell.

I bet they would have figured out how to allow for more digits if we had been contending for the last 14 years.

That said, I can hardly wait for Friday, even if I can't be at the game. Radio and television are wonderful things.

I think the telling thing here is that there are over 5.8 million people living in Maryland according to the latest Census, and the plate for out MLB team maxes out at 9,999.

And, I wonder how many they'll actually sell.

I bet they would have figured out how to allow for more digits if we had been contending for the last 14 years.

That said, I can hardly wait for Friday, even if I can't be at the game. Radio and television are wonderful things.

I'm not so sure. The Maryland MVA specialty plates always or nearly always run with four numbers (9,999 maximum registered vehicles in a series). They need room for the logo and selected letters that begin the plate designation. Also, the vehicle registration system runs on a maximum base of seven characters. As you can see on the plate, the letters "BAL" precede the four numbers. The three letters plus four numbers equal seven characters. On the registration card, it will likely read "BAL0001", "BAL0002", or whichever. If the demand is high, they will find other ways to get more plates, perhaps running the letters "ORI" if they're not already taken, or perhaps something with only two letters that's relevant and not already taken. Remember, there are Ravens specialty plates that start with "RAV" and use four numbers, and the team is far more relevant in the NFL than the Orioles currently are in MLB, so I wouldn't chalk it up to contention.

Archived