Orioles Announce New Maryland License Plates

Oriology

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last call for Frobby ;) The #20 plates are the most affordable, for a lawyer, out of the bunch at $300, ending tonight.

Brooks' are at $1,275 and Ripken's are at $1,250. Way too rich for my blood. :eek:

Ooh, I have to keep my eye on this. Thanks for the heads up.

I bid on the 0020 plate, but was topped. The final bid was $600. Adam Jones was going for $656. Are you kidding me?

I know.

I don't think it was appropriate to offer current players' numbers up for auction, but what do I know?

There was a furious last-minute war for the Brooks plates. They went to at least $2,175. Cal's were second. I wish they had left the items up after ending so I could see the final prices.

Plates 0004: $701.00 (12 bids)

Plates 0005: $2,175.00 (30 bids)

Plates 0008: $1,775.00 (26 bids)

Plates 0020: $600.00 (14 bids)

Plates 0022: $775.00 (15 bids)

Plates 0033: $875.00 (25 bids)

Plates 0010: $656.00 (17 bids)

Plates 0021: $580.00 (15 bids)

Plates 0032: $575.00 (18 bids)

I have the feeling at least one OH-er got a set of plates.

Yes, indeed. You beat me to the post, accinfo. Glad you got the Cakes plates.

I have the feeling at least one OH-er got a set of plates.

Yes, indeed. You beat me to the post, accinfo. Glad you got the Cakes plates.

Thanks like I said I am real happy. I can't believe the 3 current Orioles went for about the same as Frank and Cakes. I am glad to see that Brooks got the respect he deserves. I kind of expected Cal to go for more then Brooks. Why didn't they auction 2632? I think that would have gone for as much.

Thanks like I said I am real happy. I can't believe the 3 current Orioles went for about the same as Frank and Cakes. I am glad to see that Brooks got the respect he deserves. I kind of expected Cal to go for more then Brooks. Why didn't they auction 2632? I think that would have gone for as much.

I think they plan to auction off some more, like 1966, 1970, and 1983. 2632 is certainly a good one.

I wanted that 0020 plate, but there's a lot I can do with $600. I'll probably just get my $75 Orioles [insert number here] plate and find something else to do with the other $525.

The 0008 plates were going for more until about 11:30 p.m. or so, then the 0005 plates went from $1,555 to $2,175. If I remember correctly (may even be earlier in the thread), I think the plates are only being produced in runs of 100, so as other "numbers of significance" come up, those plates will be auctioned off as well, like Frobby said. It will be interesting to see which ones they choose. It's nice that proceeds go to charity, but to me the major downside to the auction is the loss of the element of surprise, that just by chance one could get a really desired plate number. It would feel more down-to-earth that way, for lack of a better term...I'm not sure "democratic" would quite express it, either. Perhaps "egalitarian"?

Archived