Machado Homers on 1st pitch he sees in AA!

Tony-OH

I'd be shocked by that, for a guy that doesn't usually walk much, either he REALLY worked on it this offseason, or something else is off, because he did a really good job of recognizing a breaking ball that was going to drop low, and seeing that he was going to miss high with a FB and then just low with a FB. He got behind early and then worked the count for a BB, did a really good job. Second AB he did a real good job laying off a low curve and then recognizing two low FB as well. He was the anti-Mike Morse for sure.

Sounds promising, at least for one game. Maybe he realized the hack at everything approach was really hurting him. Now we'll see if this approach hurts his power.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be shocked by that, for a guy that doesn't usually walk much, either he REALLY worked on it this offseason, or something else is off, because he did a really good job of recognizing a breaking ball that was going to drop low, and seeing that he was going to miss high with a FB and then just low with a FB. He got behind early and then worked the count for a BB, did a really good job. Second AB he did a real good job laying off a low curve and then recognizing two low FB as well. He was the anti-Mike Morse for sure.

This is good news to hear! I hope, like Tony said, that he's found a new approach and it doesn't affect his power. First base is still a huge area of need for the organization.

Sounds promising, at least for one game. Maybe he realized the hack at everything approach was really hurting him. Now we'll see if this approach hurts his power.

Yeah, still saw him swing through a pitch or two trying to get good wood on it, but when he got to 2 strikes you could really see the approach change. Of course, very limited sample size, but just a little bit of hope in there for the season.

Love Machado. Can't believe others passed him up.

To be fair, the Nationals got Bryce Harper and the Pirates got Jameson Taillon. I'm not sure they're in tears over passing up Manny right now.

He's a lot smaller than I thought he was, he's like tiny for a 1B, but I digress.

He's listed everywhere at 6'3 and 215. That's not particularly small if it's even close to accurate.

A couple HRs in three games. There's no doubt that there's pop there. I hope my bull-ishness on Townsend is rewarded this year.

He's listed everywhere at 6'3 and 215. That's not particularly small if it's even close to accurate.

A couple HRs in three games. There's no doubt that there's pop there. I hope my bull-ishness on Townsend is rewarded this year.

I don't think its accurate, he looked closer to 6'1 200 tops. I was expecting a little more bulk, and a couple more inches. It just surprised me with the POP he has. It comes from the load in his swing though, its pretty unique.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I don't think its accurate, he looked closer to 6'1 200 tops. I was expecting a little more bulk, and a couple more inches. It just surprised me with the POP he has. It comes from the load in his swing though, its pretty unique.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Well, he homered again today. And walked. .357/.438/1.000 for a solid 1.438 OPS.

Has anybody seen him in person this year that also saw him last year in person? I've heard he has bulked up and added some weight. Is this true and does that explain the early power he has shown?

He definitely has bulked up from last year, he looks more filled out. The power I saw was more from just solid contact on good swings, hard line drives.

Thanks for the update. i have to admit i have had some doubts about him but like recent comments from people who have seen him this year. One of the Orioles was on the radio the other day and was asked about some of the younger players and he made some comments about him. How he was hitting the ball hard and his strong throws to first.

Archived