My Bold Prediction

brianod

Um Frobby, its April 18th.

Got ahead of myself there. The standings I was looking at were from April 18th of each season, but presumably, after that day's games had been played. The point doesn't really change, though. We've had a lot of recent years in which we've played well in the first 11-15 games of the season, and then seen things head south. It still is better to be 7-4 than the reverse, and it's nice that we can at least have some hope, as of now, that this year will be different.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread is more amusing than I imagined it would be. It could turn into a classic. But... probably not.

Also, there's some truth to the OP, I think. The Sox are looking a little shaky right now. If Bobby Valentine can work his magic and totally destroy what remains of the team's chemistry, that's ONE DOWN. Now we just have to hope the Yankees really do run out of Geritol, and that the Rays come down with the plague, and that Toronto is overrated. Then I, too, will "dare to dream."

Even then, the division is just a dogfight then. With all those teams at their lowest, I still think the O's have their work cut out for them.

That said, they are definitely doing well and i'm a little optimistic myself.

This thread is more amusing than I imagined it would be. It could turn into a classic. But... probably not.

Also, there's some truth to the OP, I think. The Sox are looking a little shaky right now. If Bobby Valentine can work his magic and totally destroy what remains of the team's chemistry, that's ONE DOWN. Now we just have to hope the Yankees really do run out of Geritol, and that the Rays come down with the plague, and that Toronto is overrated. Then I, too, will "dare to dream."

Watching that game yesterday it almost seemed Lester was blowing it just to piss off Bobby V. He had a lot of 0-2 counts that tuned into walks and some cutters coming right into the middle of the plate. Napoli says thanks.

I believed the same thing before the 1989 season. It is still my favorite Orioles season of all time, despite them coming up short.

I feel sorry for people who don't have such a mind set, like that poor fool who proclaimed the Orioles would lose all three in Toronto last weekend. Must really suck to go through life so negatively. Doesn't do much to foster success in your personal life either.

After forbidding myself from getting my hopes up all winter, I've given in too. Sure, we've had collapses before but there's always a chance they could figure it out. This team has talent if they can put it together. I feel sorry for those pathetic guys still on the sun forum who seems to get their kicks from constantly ripping on the team. The best part of being a fan is that there's always a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
Bold prediction? We take one of the the next 5 series, and get swept in one. We go 5-10.

Dare to hope! You know you want to. We have the best bullpen in the major leagues. Our starters are above average and our lineup is showing signs of becoming very good. Our defense is above average, even if weak in a couple sports. So, shrug the doom and gloom off your back and join the fun!

Dare to hope! You know you want to. We have the best bullpen in the major leagues. Our starters are above average and our lineup is showing signs of becoming very good. Our defense is above average, even if weak in a couple sports. So, shrug the doom and gloom off your back and join the fun!
TEX, MFY, and BOS, are the top offensive teams in the AL. Our SP is improved, but not good enough to stand up to that onslaught. And we are operating with a 6 man pen, for all jntents and purposes, with one long man. By the end of those 15 G's the pen will be shot, and only Chen and Hammel will have given a good account of themselves. Still if we can win tomorrow we would be 19-18.

TEX, MFY, and BOS, are the top offensive teams in the AL. Our SP is improved, but not good enough to stand up to that onslaught. And we are operating with a 6 man pen, for all jntents and purposes, with one long man. By the end of those 15 G's the pen will be shot, and only Chen and Hammel will have given a good account of themselves. Still if we can win tomorrow we would be 19-18.

...and tell me you wouldn't have taken that if someone told you that's where we would be at that point. I think we might surprise you though.

Orioles will win AL East in 2012. I'm sick and tired of expecting and watching failure. I grew up watching the Orioles win and I've about had it with the losing and the low expectations. Why can't 5 guys have career years? Why can't the Yankees get old all at once? Why can't Tampa and Toronto be tough but beatable? Why can't the RedSox continue to slide back to the pack? I don't want to hear why we can't, I will dare to hope and I'll dare to hope now.

Before you laugh, how many of you bought mega million tickets a week ago? I say why not and I say why not now!

Uh, you're a little late. I already called it.

...and tell me you wouldn't have taken that if someone told you that's where we would be at that point. I think we might surprise you though.
Have you looked at TEX numbers? We will very likely lose all 4 games to them. The MFY's are raking. We just don't have the SP to stand up to that. The pen is very good but they can't hold up over 15 games, when very likely Matusz, Jake, and Hunter, are not going to go more than 5 innings. The decision to keep Gregg is really going to hurt us. I hope I'm wrong.

Have you looked at TEX numbers? We will very likely lose all 4 games to them. The MFY's are raking. We just don't have the SP to stand up to that. The pen is very good but they can't hold up over 15 games, when very likely Matusz, Jake, and Hunter, are not going to go more than 5 innings. The decision to keep Gregg is really going to hurt us. I hope I'm wrong.

We don't have the SP to go up against the MFY's? Really?

Here are out SP's numbers:

Matusz: 5.66 ERA, 20.2 IP

Arrietta: 4.45 ERA, 30.1 IP

Hunter: 4.74 ERA, 24.2 IP

Hammel: 1.73 ERA, 26 IP

Chen: 2.22 ERA, 24.1 IP

And theirs:

Garcia: 12.51 ERA, 13.2 IP (in 4 starts)

Hughes: 7.88 ERA, 16 IP (in 4 starts)

Sabathia: 5.27 ERA, 27.1 IP

Kuroda: 4.38 ERA, 24.3 IP

Nova: 5.18 ERA, 24.1 IP

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems they have 2 starters averaging 4 or fewer IP per start. We have ONE starter averaging under 6 IP per start, Matusz, and he's averaging just over 5 IP per start.

Additionally, they have ONE guy under 5 ERA, and we have FOUR guys under 5 ERA.

Not to mention our bullpen has been better.

They may have scored more runs thus far, but I'm sick of hearing about how we cant beat those MF'ers. Their starting pitching has been atrocious, and ours has been good. Our offense hasnt been great thus far, but we can put up enough runs to compete.

TEX is going to be a bloodbath. With Boston and MFY, though, it will be a lot of 9-7 games, because they can't pitch either.

Archived