JAKE Today

OFFNY

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had hopes he was turning the corner.

1Quality start in last 5 and only 3 out of eight for the season. Buck called him out according to Palmer and it apparently didn't work. I don't know how long the leash is but you simply can't get 1 good one out of 5.

Jake has been disappointing recently indeed, he just hasn't made the strides I expected in terms of command.

He pitched better than the line showed today I think. A couple infield hits, a couple other hits that were not very solid contact, and let's remember that he probably should have had a strike-out/throw-out double play to end the 2nd inning with 0 runs scored. Now he continued to pitch poorly after getting those bad breaks so he deserves the blame for those 7 runs. But it didn't have to be as bad as it was based on the quality of his pitches today.

6 Ks, 2BB, a ton of hits. That's as good a line as you can hope for in a blow-out. Eveland's start was far worse, even though we won.

With the qualification that Eveland isn't supposed to be a cornerstone of our rotation.

Also this: just two quality starts out of 8.

What could we get for him in trade?

Probably a couple young players, maybe a pitching prospect, who may be younger, but will likely struggle in his first 250 innings in the majors in the AL East, as Jake has.

Note: I missed todays game and haven't looked up the stats but it seems to me that Jake is really struggling once runner's get on base. I know I nearly crap myself when I see him in the stretch.

If I was taking notes I could repeat what Jim Palmer said after almost every pitch. He was critical of him in a nice way. His best pitch was his curve ball as the hitters just stood there watching it and teed off on his fastball. I didn't see what the speed gun said he was hitting with his fastball. When he is between 89 and 91 he is very hittable. When he is up around 94 or 95 he does better. Jake continues to throw fastballs over the middle of the plate. Why? No movement with his fastball. He said in the beginning of the season this is the first time he has thrown without pain since high school. Has he lost any speed the last few weeks? Maybe Jason Hammel can show him how to get movement on his fastball.

Evaluation? C-

Is he really pain free right now? Maybe his advance preparation is lacking. Maybe he could use a stay in Norfolk.

If I was taking notes I could repeat what Jim Palmer said after almost every pitch. He was critical of him in a nice way. His best pitch was his curve ball as the hitters just stood there watching it and teed off on his fastball. I didn't see what the speed gun said he was hitting with his fastball. When he is between 89 and 91 he is very hittable. When he is up around 94 or 95 he does better. Jake continues to throw fastballs over the middle of the plate. Why? No movement with his fastball. He said in the beginning of the season this is the first time he has thrown without pain since high school. Has he lost any speed the last few weeks? Maybe Jason Hammel can show him how to get movement on his fastball.

Evaluation? C-

Is he really pain free right now? Maybe his advance preparation is lacking. Maybe he could use a stay in Norfolk.

You remember when Strop came in relief in one of the games vs the Angels and gave up a HR to Kendrick? He hit a 97 mph FB that was out over the plate. Palmer said Jake needs to locate. The pitch your seeing at 90-91 is his four seamer.

If he throws the two seamer, which runs more at 94-95, he still needs to locate it or he will get hit.

You remember when Strop came in relief in one of the games vs the Angels and gave up a HR to Kendrick? He hit a 97 mph FB that was out over the plate. Palmer said Jake needs to locate. The pitch your seeing at 90-91 is his four seamer.

If he throws the two seamer, which runs more at 94-95, he still needs to locate it or he will get hit.

I have never heard of a 2 seam fastball that is significantly harder then the same pitcher's 4 seam fastball.

Archived