So, Gregg got booed during pre-game introductions

ChaosLex

I think these guys need to realize that a lot of the boos they receive are also a reflection of a frustrated fan base. They don't really have any other outlets to voice their frustration, so they take it out on a certain player.

In other words, I don't think Gregg gets booed if the team hasn't been so awful.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

Boo or not to boo...

for performance? ok, makes sense.

because he makes a lot of money? not sure how that relates but yea, this is the year of the "occupier"

because he has been quoted saying things about the city, fans or teammates? without a doubt.

Classless? maybe a little strong. If they were shouting epitaphs that the family two rows over should not be subjected to is definitely classless; throwing things is definitely classless; just plain booing? meh.

I would like to see some quotes though.... the only one I remember was a snippy one about closing at Spring Training this year.

I wouldn't boo players from "my team" but that doesn't mean I am any better or worse than anyone who does.

I'm too lazy to look up sources but if I was going to put in the effort I'd start with the OH. It seems like I can remember lots of complaining last year about Gregg not taking responsibility and blaming others for his bad outings. I may be wrong, but I don't think MarylandAaron's statement is too far off base.

I do remember the comment about Koji, and seeing that actual quote. But that was all I remember seeing, specifically. I'm just wondering. I mean, there's a difference between being an eccentric closer with a comment about everything... and being just a complete jerk who is a bad teammate. That's the distinction I'm trying to make. My sense of Gregg is that he's a high-strung guy, with some talent, but who is in over his head. He was given a contract and a position that he only partly controlled - the Orioles brass need to take SOME blame for his ineffectiveness at closer. There was not a ton of evidence to suggest that he was a true closer, IMO. And it was Buck who kept trotting him out there in save situations.

In the end, I agree with the poster who said: Boo a bad performance. But don't boo a guy on opening day. That's just annoying. If you're going to do that, then boo the whole damn team. Because they collectively sucked donkey sack last year.

I want Gregg to forget about last year's failures, and go out there and pitch better. I don't see how booing him helps him do that. I didn't like it when they booed Gonzo, and I didn't like it when they booed Steve Kline. Booing should be reserved for the other team except in very rare circumstances. I want all 25 players on my team feeling supported.

Booing a player during OD intros is awful.

Boo Angelos till the cows come home if he shows his face on OD but not the players, at least during intros.

Definitely agree. It was the intros for a new season, a new beginning. And who knows, Gregg might get his act together, have a phenomenal season, and become the darling of Baltimore. :hearts: I can see all those same Boobirds clambering for the Orioles to resign Gregg for next year.

And, maybe not. :D

Unless a guy has made comments about a city or fans from that city I don't think booing a player is appropriate during intros on opening day. Someone else said silence might be a better statement but for our team there should be cheers or louder cheers.

I don't like Gregg, but boo when he takes the mound. Better yet, hold off and hope he does well and if he doesn't them let him hear it. He knows he had an off year, that's why he's not closing anymore.

Booing a player during OD intros is awful.

Boo Angelos till the cows come home if he shows his face on OD but not the players, at least during intros.

Agree with this 100%.

What does booing one of our own players prove, esp. on opening day? You're booing him for last year's performance? Well guess what? He can't change it. Do you truly think Gregg wanted last season to be so crappy? I'm sure no one was more frustrated about it, than he was. He knows his career is on the line. If he can't pitch for a last place team, then there's only place he's heading and that's home. And at thirty three, that's a real good possibility, if he can't bring it this year.

So, to boo one of our own, on opening day, to me, that's in very poor taste.

I want Gregg to forget about last year's failures, and go out there and pitch better. I don't see how booing him helps him do that. I didn't like it when they booed Gonzo, and I didn't like it when they booed Steve Kline. Booing should be reserved for the other team except in very rare circumstances. I want all 25 players on my team feeling supported.
I couldn't boo Gregg. Try booing after you've thrown up in your mouth a little.

There's that word again-classless-which is used some lately around these parts. As an athlete you are in what I would call a social contract with fans which basically includes there right to boo or cheer at will...That is part of the game at all levels (not including children of course) and in the Majors where people pay hard earned money (and O's fans have even more right to boo since we suck for a decade) to attend, have every right to boo or cheer whoever.

Gregg was booed because he is a symbol as to why we suck i.e overpaying vet filler. There is nothing classless about booing a pro athlete as long as you aren't throwing personal threats/insults then you should be able to express your opinion.

I think classless is an overused term (not saying people shouldn't say what they think, everyone has every right to say what the want) around here lately. Classless was Huffs comments about the city who gave him 20 mill for one decent year, or classless is my favorite Oriole growing up (BROB) using roids then telling us he did so once for injury uses (lying to his fans).

Classless is not booing a guy who is paid 6 mill to stink up 40 innings a year. I think we baby our Orioles a little bit. These are grown men who are getting millions to play a game 6 months a year...I mean these guys have great lives and should have thick enough skin to handle some boos if they don't perform. I heard many a boos in high school when I got a false start or struck out in a close game and it was no big deal cuz its a part of sports.

I reject this notion of booing as classless in the Major Leagues. We just have a different opinion on that I guess.

There's that word again-classless-which is used some lately around these parts. As an athlete you are in what I would call a social contract with fans which basically includes there right to boo or cheer at will...That is part of the game at all levels (not including children of course) and in the Majors where people pay hard earned money (and O's fans have even more right to boo since we suck for a decade) to attend, have every right to boo or cheer whoever.

Gregg was booed because he is a symbol as to why we suck i.e overpaying vet filler. There is nothing classless about booing a pro athlete as long as you aren't throwing personal threats/insults then you should be able to express your opinion.

I think classless is an overused term (not saying people shouldn't say what they think, everyone has every right to say what the want) around here lately. Classless was Huffs comments about the city who gave him 20 mill for one decent year, or classless is my favorite Oriole growing up (BROB) using roids then telling us he did so once for injury uses (lying to his fans).

Classless is not booing a guy who is paid 6 mill to stink up 40 innings a year. I think we baby our Orioles a little bit. These are grown men who are getting millions to play a game 6 months a year...I mean these guys have great lives and should have thick enough skin to handle some boos if they don't perform. I heard many a boos in high school when I got a false start or struck out in a close game and it was no big deal cuz its a part of sports.

I reject this notion of booing as classless in the Major Leagues. We just have a different opinion on that I guess.

As a telephone subscriber you have the right to call phone sex lines. As a user of clothing you have the right to wear tiger stripes, parachute pants, and hoop earrings. As a human being, you have the right to fart in public, pick at your teeth, and voice...pretty much whatever pops into your mind.

Exercising those rights isn't always classy.

I think these guys need to realize that a lot of the boos they receive are also a reflection of a frustrated fan base. They don't really have any other outlets to voice their frustration, so they take it out on a certain player.

In other words, I don't think Gregg gets booed if the team hasn't been so awful.

They booed Eddie Watt.

Archived