Bundy strikes out the side.

Can_of_corn

Just like the spring training games, I think these gameday stats for pitchers just show three strikes for every strikeout, no matter the number of balls, and four balls for every walk, no matter the number of strikes and foulballs.

All that said, go Dylan.

I'm hoping we can have a starting rotation next year of Dylan, Bobby, Al, and Ted Bundy.

Most of the people here have been very impressed with Dylan's fastball, but I heard that Ted's fastball is a real killer.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kid is special. 3 innings at Lo-A shouldn't really impact anyone's opinion of him. They are not babying him, but he is a baby. The kid is 19 and will pitch 120-130 innings as a pro. He's going to make a handful of low-stress, short starts for Delmarva in April before he moves up. No need to unnecessarily tax a young arm that's already had its fair share of use over the last couple of years.

Bundy strikes out the side in his professional debut!!

Tweeted by the Delmarva Shorebirds

I strongly believe Bundy will leave a game this season without giving up a hit.

Anyone at the game?[/QUOTE]

I was at the game, sitting right behind the Shorebirds dugout. In the first inning the closest Asheville came to contact were two foul tips. In the second inning, he had one strikeout and allowed two balls in play, one to the right field warning track a wopping 290 feet away. He struck out two more in the third. I couldn't see the stadium radar gun readings for the first two innings because of the sun's glare. In the third inning, i saw readings of 94 twice, 95 five times, 96 once, and 97 twice. I think he went to full counts twice. His delivery was as people have described many times - compact, controlled efficient, and effortless. It's hard to imagine that he would ever finish in a poor fielding position. All and all, the experience reminded me of the times I saw Ryan Braun hit against the Yankees affiliate in Tampa and Calvin Hill play against Ivy League football teams. I watched and thought, "This guy just shouldn't be allowed on the same field as the rest of these guys." I hoped to post links to video but my camera only wanted to focus on the webbing over the dugout, not Dylan. I may have some good shots of the radar gun readings, but little else. I'll see what I can do

Incidentally, the Shorebirds won 7 to 2, committing no errors and running the bases aggressively. Mychael Givens knocked in the first run in the fourth. Delmarva broke it open in the fifth when Wynston Sawyer and Brenden Webb hit balls to the ball and the Tourists unraveled. Glynn Davis drove a ball off the wall and laid down a perfect base hit bunt. Jason Esposito handle everything cleanly at third. In the six innings after Bundy left, the Shorebirds turned four double plays that became progressivelyu crisper. Givens started three of them. The pitchers after Bundy were underwhelming - Chalas, Taylor, and Cowan. But they had a tough act to follow.

I was at the game last night. I will say I heard D. Bundy was good, but I did't think he would be this good. I figured he dominated in high school, but he faced high school kids. There might be one or two professional-level players per team on high school teams. I thought he would have a little harder time against a whole team of professional players. His delivery is so effortless and he kept everything down. He did not throw all strikes, but when he missed it wasn't by much and he probably wanted to miss in certain counts. Like George, the first thing I thought after the first innings is "He can't stay at this level." I sat behind the plate, and I know the guns back there had him at 98 a couple of times. I saw Machado on the field last year. When you see Machado, you know immediately he is something special. Same thing with Bundy. He was very impressive. He only went through the lineup once, and someone did hit a ball to the wall off of him, so he might give up some hits, but not many. I'm really happy I got to see him live.

I was at the game last night. I will say I heard D. Bundy was good, but I did't think he would be this good. I figured he dominated in high school, but he faced high school kids. There might be one or two professional-level players per team on high school teams. I thought he would have a little harder time against a whole team of professional players. His delivery is so effortless and he kept everything down. He did not throw all strikes, but when he missed it wasn't by much and he probably wanted to miss in certain counts. Like George, the first thing I thought after the first innings is "He can't stay at this level." I sat behind the plate, and I know the guns back there had him at 98 a couple of times. I saw Machado on the field last year. When you see Machado, you know immediately he is something special. Same thing with Bundy. He was very impressive. He only went through the lineup once, and someone did hit a ball to the wall off of him, so he might give up some hits, but not many. I'm really happy I got to see him live.

Thanks and continue to report during the season!

One other impressive note about his performance I neglected to mention. The second inning outs were a strikeout, a flyball to the right field wall 297 feet away, and a weak grounder to first. He executed his role on the grounder perfectly. Ran towards first immediately, took an angle so he could run parallel to the line to avoid a collision, and just tapped the inside of the base quickly so he couldn't be spiked. It could have been used for an instructional video. I've seen plenty of Orioles ptchers screw up that play. The little things count.

Steve Melewski has a piece up with dialogue with Bundy.

On the pitch count:

Bundy's strike-throwing made him legendary on Friday. A glitch in the box score had him incorrectly throwing 21 pitches, all for strikes. Orioles fans immediately buzzed on Twitter about the team's future ace and his spectacular line.

"I wanna say 43 [pitches], but I'm not completely positive," Bundy said. "I don't think it's a pitch count thing, I was gonna go three innings no matter what, whether that was 50 pitches in three innings or 20 pitches in three innings."

Also first two innings, just fastballs.

Archived