Flaherty as defensive replacement for Reynolds

CA-ORIOLE

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be fine if Reynolds could just make all the routine plays. I don't need anything extraordinary. The problem is he'll just as easily boot the routine play as he will make a bad throw on a ball he has to charge, or backhand down the line, etc.

I don't want to be accused of hyperbole. But I can't remember seeing a full time third baseman so awful. I have seen guys with no range. I have seen guys with terrible throwing arms. But there has never been anyone who I am scared every time the ball is hit his way.

I don't think you'll be accused of hyperbole on this one. I feel the same way. The stats would indicate he's been bad but not as horrible as he has been for us.

Flaherty was not a defensive replacement. He was an injury replacement as Reynolds fouled a pitch off of his ankle. Try a new narrative.

Ok I didn't get that and it makes sense with a 6 run lead. Still, it doesn't really negate the premise of my OP that maybe we should take him out of late/close games with the lead.

All that said and knowing that Ryan was an injury replacement, I was thinking before I knew Flaherty was there thst Reynolds does not field that on one hop - tries to short hop it and makes another E. Flaherty got to it quickly and made the play easily. He should be the defensive replacement on that SSS - oh - imho.

I would be fine if Reynolds could just make all the routine plays. I don't need anything extraordinary. The problem is he'll just as easily boot the routine play as he will make a bad throw on a ball he has to charge, or backhand down the line, etc.

I think Betenit would likely provide that, especially if he played regularly. It looks like he has about a 25 point advantage in FP%, but in his case it's more that he doesn't appear to have the range/reaction that Reynolds does. My impression was he looked like a statue in ST and that's what I get from the stats.

All that said and knowing that Ryan was an injury replacement, I was thinking before I knew Flaherty was there thst Reynolds does not field that on one hop - tries to short hop it and makes another E. Flaherty got to it quickly and made the play easily. He should be the defensive replacement on that SSS - oh - imho.

Pretty much and I'm guessing Reynolds was well enough to go out there if he needed to.

Is anyone - ANYONE - okay with Reynolds' defense at third base? Whoever is okay with his defense at third base... wow. I honestly don't even know what to say to that.

If you want to say his offense outweighs his horrible defense, okay. I can at least understand that logically. But to defend his defense on its own merits - or to make snide comments toward people who criticize Mark's D? I don't get that.

I also assumed (perhaps hopefully) that Flaherty was a defensive replacement - and regardless, he made an outstanding play on that infield bouncer to take away a possible base hit. Reynolds might have made that play - then booted a merely tough grounder on his next opportunity.

I'm not bashing Reynolds as an overall player. But he's not a third baseman, as someone pointed out. He's something else. Maybe a DH, maybe a pinch hitter, maybe a corner outfielder. We would probably get better defense by moving the statue of Brooks Robinson to third base and just praying for the ball to bounce off that shiny gold glove over to first.

I want to give Reynolds more rope this year. Maybe he hangs himself or maybe he picks it up a little.

I agree if he plays much the same as last year then we have to seriously think about converting him into a DH/1st base.

His play has embarrassed me this year. Really rough out there. And people keep saying over and over in the National League he didnt look this bad.

Is anyone - ANYONE - okay with Reynolds' defense at third base? Whoever is okay with his defense at third base... wow. I honestly don't even know what to say to that.

If you want to say his offense outweighs his horrible defense, okay. I can at least understand that logically. But to defend his defense on its own merits - or to make snide comments toward people who criticize Mark's D? I don't get that.

I also assumed (perhaps hopefully) that Flaherty was a defensive replacement - and regardless, he made an outstanding play on that infield bouncer to take away a possible base hit. Reynolds might have made that play - then booted a merely tough grounder on his next opportunity.

I'm not bashing Reynolds as an overall player. But he's not a third baseman, as someone pointed out. He's something else. Maybe a DH, maybe a pinch hitter, maybe a corner outfielder. We would probably get better defense by moving the statue of Brooks Robinson to third base and just praying for the ball to bounce off that shiny gold glove over to first.

I'll say it. I am perfectly okay with Reynolds at third. Frankly, you make the argument as to why for me. Reynolds is a package deal, offensively and defensively. Moving him off third places us in an equally horrible situation defensively at third with Betimit or (someone shoot me) Davis, or it lowers our overall offensive potential tossing Flaherty there.

Reynolds had an anomaly of a year last year. It was epically bad. No argument here on that, but he has never been this bad over his career, and there is not a better option for the team. I have watched both games and it has been painful to see him miss those couple plays but he made a couple very good plays as well.

2 games is not the sample size I am going to use to change the game plan.

I think Buck gives Reynolds two months at third and then makes a decision. That also gives Davis two months at 1B. Let's see how that works out. I don't expect to see Betemit at 3B on a regular basis. He is not an upgrade. Buck loves Flaherty. He will not hit that well as a rookie but he will probably be an upgrade defensively.

The fact that it's the routine plays that he struggles with at times is enough for me not to panic. Bordick talked about him the other day...mentioned his good arm, good lateral movement...but he said that he has to improve on the routine. To me, that's not talent or an inability to play the position. It's confidence and concentration. He also struggled coming in on balls and that was part of the reason he lost weight. He is a hard worker and recognizes the issue so I see no reason to think about moving him from third anytime soon.

He showed improvement entering last year. He is never going to be that great over there but he can be lose to league average.

BTW I tend to doubt he throws out the speedy Revere yesterday anyway.

Archived