Flaherty as defensive replacement for Reynolds

CA-ORIOLE

It was off his glove. If you're gonna say, yeah he makes errors but he's got great athletic ability, then that's the type of play he should make. A good third baseman makes it. I did say it was a tough play.

Not sure anyone makes that play if they were in the same position Mark was on th field.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was off his glove. If you're gonna say, yeah he makes errors but he's got great athletic ability, then that's the type of play he should make. A good third baseman makes it. I did say it was a tough play.

Brooks Robinson might make it. Mike Schmidt might make it. Most third basemen get the same result.

Brooks Robinson might make it. Mike Schmidt might make it. Most third basemen get the same result.

Depends what your definition of "most" is. If that means 75% of the current third basemen, I'm fine with what it. I did say a "good" third baseman makes it. If you're going to say he's athletic and that helps make up for his errors, then he certainly should be making some plays like that.

I'd have to go back and look at it, but it was almost made by Reynolds, so I'm guessing another third baseman could have made the play.

That is a very flawed way to attempt to examine things objectively.

Reynolds = Bad defensive third baseman

Any play Reynolds almost makes = A good third-baseman would have made the play

QED?

Unfortunately even if Reynolds is below average, he is at any given time, able to make a play that any above average third baseman might not make. Defense does not exist in a vacuum like that. Reynolds could be great it going in one direction and not the other. He could have made a super-human play (by his standards) just to tip the ball and to make the play would have required a super-human play by the standards of a great third baseman.

Ehh I doubt it. He was playing to far in. To be honest, that play illustrates that his issue isn't reaction time, reflexes or range. It's more mental at this point.

Which IMO is all the more reason to move him, at least temporarily. I mean, he's a bad 3b anyway. I've already discussed his inability to judge balls and play them well along with the lack of quick and soft hands. But ignoring his physical flaws for a second you can surely see he's mentally out of it too. He's off to a slow start with the bat as well and that stuff carries over from offense to defense and vice versa. If I'm Buck, even if I plan on going back to him at 3b, I give him a few days at DH to get his mind off of defense.

That is a very flawed way to attempt to examine things objectively.

Reynolds = Bad defensive third baseman

Any play Reynolds almost makes = A good third-baseman would have made the play

QED?

Unfortunately even if Reynolds is below average, he is at any given time, able to make a play that any above average third baseman might not make. Defense does not exist in a vacuum like that. Reynolds could be great it going in one direction and not the other. He could have made a super-human play (by his standards) just to tip the ball and to make the play would have required a super-human play by the standards of a great third baseman.

Reynolds poor defense is largely driven by errors and made up by athleticsm. That is what the Reynolds supporters will say and there is some truth to that. The play was difficult, but makeable by an athletic third baseman imo. So, by his "standards" he should be making plays like that to make up for his other deficiencies. I think he could have made the play. It was a tough play but not one requiring superhuman standards imo. You disagree and that is fine. There is no element of fact/proof here, it's simply my opinion of that particular play.

Reynolds poor defense is largely driven by errors and made up by athleticsm. That is what the Reynolds supporters will say and there is some truth to that. The play was difficult, but makeable by an athletic third baseman imo. So, by his "standards" he should be making plays like that to make up for his other deficiencies. I think he could have made the play. It was a tough play but not one requiring superhuman standards imo. You disagree and that is fine. There is no element of fact/proof here, it's simply my opinion of that particular play.

I agree with you. The line drive was a play that a lot of good thirdbaseman will make. It was a tough play, but he did get a glove on it.

Further, I agree that making a play like that would make his overall play a bit easier to take. The ball seems to find him. He's been a hazard over there. I think his leash got a bit shorter last night.

I don't think 5 games is enough time to make any definitive decisions.

However, the Orioles better be prepared with an alternative if Reynold's defense continues to be this bad and Davis still can't hit.

Maybe Reynold's platoons at 1B and DH?

Trade for a 3B?

I don't know if Flaherty/Betemit 3B platoon is actually much of an upgrade.

Archived