Ozzie Guillen says he loves Castro and respects and likes Hugo Chavez. Marlins denounce Castro.

Gurgi

Hitler really shouldn't be compared to Fidel. I get the point that it's "like" Hitler for the Miami Cubans but Fidel is really, really not like Hitler.

When you look at what he actually meant, coupled with the fact that he's apologized profusely, I really think the continued protests and demands are a bit too much.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hitler really shouldn't be compared to Fidel. I get the point that it's "like" Hitler for the Miami Cubans but Fidel is really, really not like Hitler.

I would ordinarily agree but I feel that the similarity between the two quotes was such that it made a valid point.

And when Marge Schott said that a lot of Jews were too emotionally invested to see the nuance of admiring someone for their ability to turn around an economy without actually admiring genocide.

And MLB essentially decided that they did not want an owner that expresses those views representing their brand. That's fine and well within MLB's rights.

No one with any love of freedom of speech.

Unfortunately, we live an increasingly selfish and self-centered society here in the US.

It's not enough to simply lose respect for or stop paying attention to public persons that say and do stupid things. Americans feel like anyone who offends them should be brought up in the spotlight to apologize and pander, and even then should be made to suffer as much as possible.

"This person said something that made me feel bad...and it's not fair!" It's sad what people decide to take on as "causes" these days...

That's essentially what many Marlins fans have been doing in this case, with their boycott. They lost respect for Guillen because of his comments and decided that they would no longer support the team. They're well within their rights to do that, and I don't think they're being self-centered.

The Marlins had to make this move. By suspending Guillen, they're sending a clear statement that they don't support his comments and they're holding him accountable for his embarrassing actions. I don't see how the Marlins are supposed to just laugh this off and say, "Oh, that's Ozzie! What a scamp." Not when his words struck such a personal chord with so many people in the city who have been victimized first-hand by Castro.

You said earlier that you don't think a person should have their livelihood affected by speaking their mind. But by the same token, why is it OK for Guillen to damage his organization's brand, reputation, and popularity, and not have to face any consequences for it?

Guillen did something that damaged his employer, and so they suspended him for it. I see nothing inappropriate about that.

That's essentially what many Marlins fans have been doing in this case, with their boycott. They lost respect for Guillen because of his comments and decided that they would no longer support the team. They're well within their rights to do that, and I don't think they're being self-centered.

The Marlins had to make this move. By suspending Guillen, they're sending a clear statement that they don't support his comments and they're holding him accountable for his embarrassing actions. I don't see how the Marlins are supposed to just laugh this off and say, "Oh, that's Ozzie! What a scamp." Not when his words struck such a personal chord with so many people in the city who have been victimized first-hand by Castro.

You said earlier that you don't think a person should have their livelihood affected by speaking their mind. But by the same token, why is it OK for Guillen to damage his organization's brand, reputation, and popularity, and not have to face any consequences for it?

Guillen did something that damaged his employer, and so they suspended him for it. I see nothing inappropriate about that.

No, you are not understanding my point -- perhaps I'm being unclear. I don't think people should make it a focus to have someone removed from their job because they disagree with an opinion of that person. If people, en masse, make the decision to no longer support the Marlins (as if the Cubano population has supported the franchise at all anyway), then the Marlins can decide to act. Heck, the Marlins can decide to act whenever they want -- it's at will employment.

What I take issue with is people turning instances like this into a moral crusade, and campaigning for someone to be fired. People overreacting and rallying support to a silly cause because something made them feel icky on a personal level.

I've clearly stated that the Marlins are in their right and power to act however they feel necessary. I dislike people forcing the hand of companies because their "feelings" trump everyone else's right to have an opinion on something. And if you read the quote, it's quite specific as to what Ozzie "admires". Probably a silly stance for Guillen? Sure. Worthy of hate, pitchforks and torches? I wouldn't think so. But again, I tend not to put personal feelings ahead of another's personal freedoms.

I agree. But isn't this like hiring Billy Martin and then getting upset when he argues with umps, punches players, and gets in altercations with marshmallow salesmen? You don't hire Ozzie and expect him to only say non-controversial things.

But I'd be willing to bet that the one thing you didn't expect him to do is immediately offend the Latino fan base.

But I'd be willing to bet that the one thing you didn't expect him to do is immediately offend the Latino fan base.

Yeah this in spades. How dumb do you have to be. Its like waving a freaking red flag at them.

Yeah this in spades. How dumb do you have to be. Its like waving a freaking red flag at them.

And he answered Castro to the friggin' easiest question there is. "Who's the toughest man you know?" Pick a cliche and be done with it! Father, grandfather, some former teammate or coach who mentored you, whatever. Heck, he was teammates with Cal for five seconds, throw his name out there if you get stumped.

No one with any love of freedom of speech.

Unfortunately, we live an increasingly selfish and self-centered society here in the US.

It's not enough to simply lose respect for or stop paying attention to public persons that say and do stupid things. Americans feel like anyone who offends them should be brought up in the spotlight to apologize and pander, and even then should be made to suffer as much as possible.

"This person said something that made me feel bad...and it's not fair!" It's sad what people decide to take on as "causes" these days...

This is spot on!!

People are just looking for reasons to get offended and then empty their bladders as much as they can.

We will have this kind of stuff as long as individuals and organizations pander to the foolishness. The Marlins should just say Ozzie made a mistake, apologize and move on. Instead of acting like they have a set, . . . . . . . . they cave and pander.

So, we get Al and Jesse, and all the Al and Jesse lil wannabe's and we have a society that spends so much time on needless BS.

The Marlins and MLB should just tell the Cubans to get over it - PERIOD!

This is spot on!!

People are just looking for reasons to get offended and then empty their bladders as much as they can.

We will have this kind of stuff as long as individuals and organizations pander to the foolishness. The Marlins should just say Ozzie made a mistake, apologize and move on. Instead of acting like they have a set, . . . . . . . . they cave and pander.

So, we get Al and Jesse, and all the Al and Jesse lil wannabe's and we have a society that spends so much time on needless BS.

The Marlins and MLB should just tell the Cubans to get over it - PERIOD!

Sorry, but who are you to decide what people should or shouldn't get offended about? A fair number of the people protesting Ozzie are Cuban refugees or family members of people who have suffered under Castro's rule. Have you experienced what they have? Do you have any idea where they're coming from?

It's easy for someone who's never been in that position to just dismissively say "Get over it. Man up." But it's also completely off-base and nonsensical.

Sorry, but who are you to decide what people should or shouldn't get offended about? A fair number of the people protesting Ozzie are Cuban refugees or family members of people who have suffered under Castro's rule. Have you experienced what they have? Do you have any idea where they're coming from?

It's easy for someone who's never been in that position to just dismissively say "Get over it. Man up." But it's also completely off-base and nonsensical.

There's plenty that offends me. Doesn't mean I try to get someone terminated from their employment.

If you hate Ozzie and what he said, and feel it's so attrocious that he shouldn't represent the Marlins, don't go to Marlins games. I don't see why you should try to rally all people who have a similar background (regardless of if they are Marlins fans or not, and regardless of if they even read the comments or not) and try to get them to band with you to have the guy fired.

There's plenty that offends me. Doesn't mean I try to get someone terminated from their employment.

If you hate Ozzie and what he said, and feel it's so attrocious that he shouldn't represent the Marlins, don't go to Marlins games. I don't see why you should try to rally all people who have a similar background (regardless of if they are Marlins fans or not, and regardless of if they even read the comments or not) and try to get them to band with you to have the guy fired.

OK. I can respect that.

I never said I was the one to decide who should or shouldnt get offended.

My point was in reference to the "RESPONSE" to the "offended." Instead of pandering to their offense just move on and and act like you have a set. Just because the "offended" dont have a set, or act like they dont have a set doesnt mean a castrated response is warranted. All the castrated response does is encourage this "offended" BS stuff to keep happening over and over. At some point as a society we need a set and react in such a way that admits a mistake but doesnt coddle and condone the BS.

Reality is this:

-People are always going to say things I dont like or find ridiculous

-Life is not always fair.

- I cant always expect everyone who doesnt do or say things "my way" to be punished unmercifully

I never said I was the one to decide who should or shouldnt get offended.

My point was in reference to the "RESPONSE" to the "offended." Instead of pandering to their offense just move on and and act like you have a set. Just because the "offended" dont have a set, or act like they dont have a set doesnt mean a castrated response is warranted. All the castrated response does is encourage this "offended" BS stuff to keep happening over and over. At some point as a society we need a set and react in such a way that admits a mistake but doesnt coddle and condone the BS.

Reality is this:

-People are always going to say things I dont like or find ridiculous

-Life is not always fair.

- I cant always expect everyone who doesnt do or say things "my way" to be punished unmercifully

I don't understand why you would characterize people who get offended at something as "not having a set." Seriously? You're going to question people's manhood/intestinal fortitude/etc. because they complain when someone says something offensive? I'd love for you to tell someone who has lost family members, friends, etc. in the Castro regime that they're less of a man and that they need to "grow a set" because they're protesting Guillen's comments. I'm sure that would go over well.

Archived