Jason Hammel has a No-Hitter through 7 Innings

OFFNY

In terms of affecting the outcome of the game and the no-hitter? No, I don't see a difference. Neither one has the slightest bit of impact on Hammel while he's pitching.

Unless the following scenario occurred...

HAMMEL: Ah, it's been a quick game. 7 innings. Now that I've got a sec, I'll log on to Orioles Hangout, as I always do in the middle of my games.

HAMMEL: (logs on)

HAMMEL: (sees OFFNY's thread)

HAMMEL: Wait, I have a no-hitter going?!? AAAAAAH I had no idea!!

HAMMEL: (panics)

HAMMEL: (gives up hit)

If that's what happened, then I'll agree that this thread was bad form. But I'm pretty sure it didn't, so enough with giving this poster grief.

Do you even understand what a superstition is? There isn't a rhyme or reason to it. Of course, his post didn't directly lead to Hammel giving up a hit but, frankly, that's not the point. Breaking a mirror won't give me 7 years of bad luck and I'm pretty sure that nothing bad will happen to me if I walk under a ladder. I'm also fairly certain that if I knock on a piece of wood that won't "undo" whatever I did.

You look at this from a strict technical, logical sense, which is fine, but don't dismiss people that are either a) superstitious or b) like to have fun with this sort of thing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it comes down to intent. This was clearly posted to get a rise out of people. There is a zero percent chance that OFFNY did not know when he posted that it was going to upset people. This wasn't a "hey, you may want to turn on the game" kind of post, this was a "look at me, I am breaking an unwritten rule, and if Hammel gets the last six outs I get to be smarter than everybody else and prove curses don't exist" kind of post. It was immature and the textbook definition of trolling. When an announcer tells you that Hammel has a no-hitter going, it isn't to mess with you, when OFFNY starts a thread about it, it is. The fact that curses don't exist is irrelevant, it is about making the choice to try to hamper someone else's enjoyment of the game.

I was at the game and my friend mentioned he had a no-hitter going through 4 and I jokingly gave him crap about it. Did he continue to bring it up after that? No, because he isn't an a-hole. There is no upside. I like goofy traditions like this and I am annoyed by the guy who has to prove to everyone that he is the smartest guy in the room because he refuses to follow superstitions.

To me it comes down to intent. This was clearly posted to get a rise out of people. There is a zero percent chance that OFFNY did not know when he posted that it was going to upset people. This wasn't a "hey, you may want to turn on the game" kind of post, this was a "look at me, I am breaking an unwritten rule, and if Hammel gets the last six outs I get to be smarter than everybody else and prove curses don't exist" kind of post. It was immature and the textbook definition of trolling. When an announcer tells you that Hammel has a no-hitter going, it isn't to mess with you, when OFFNY starts a thread about it, it is. The fact that curses don't exist is irrelevant, it is about making the choice to try to hamper someone else's enjoyment of the game.

I was at the game and my friend mentioned he had a no-hitter going through 4 and I jokingly gave him crap about it. Did he continue to bring it up after that? No, because he isn't an a-hole. There is no upside. I like goofy traditions like this and I am annoyed by the guy who has to prove to everyone that he is the smartest guy in the room because he refuses to follow superstitions.

WHY??? Unless Hammel heard your friend say that it has ZERO effect on the outcome!!!!

BTW, I agree with this post 100%, but must spread rep and all that good stuff.

The point is not that there is no logic to the superstition. There never is. It wouldn't be a superstion otherwise The point is that the consensus feeling of a group of people is to not mention the fact of a no, no. No one is compelled to go along with that, but if they want to ignore the feelings of the majority, they do so at the peril of being regarded an obnoxious jerk. Does this guy mock a kid making a wish before the kid blows out his birthday candles? Silly superstion? What about the power of prayer? Superstition? Oh no that's quite respectable. Voodo is for the hysterical nut cases.

OK, I agree with this. If the opening poster was just trying to update people on what was happening in the game, I'd say he doesn't deserve to get crap for it. But there is a strong possibility that he was just trying to get a rise out of people, in which case this thread is in poor form.

100% this post. Nothing else needs to be added.

I think part of the reason many of us here on the OH respect this tradition (ok, superstition, if you like), is because it reflects not just an understanding of the game, but a greater understanding of how players play the game. I can pretty much guarantee everyone that by or after the 5th inning, the words "no-hitter" were not spoken by anyone in the O's dugout. If it's your contention that it's a silly observance, well, hey, you're probably right, and can we can all debate the merits of your stance. But if you were a player at any level in any dugout and you did that, and the pitcher lost his no-hitter, you'd likely get reminded of this tradition in a not-so-friendly manner by one of your teammates.

I learned this playing little league at the age of 12, when I said something about my pitcher's no-hitter, which he lost in the 9th inning. Our third baseman took my glove after the game and threw it in a nearby pond. Ha Ha. I explained this all to my dad when I got home. He took me to get a new one almost immediately and said, "I think you learned your lesson. Don't ever talk about a no-hitter when your pitcher's got one going..."

Where do 12 yr olds play 9 inning games?

I find it amusing that the same guys that talk about +WAR and true MOO players are so upset about this:)

Believe it or not, everyone on this board, whether it's the guy who lives in a giant hollowed-out copy of the original Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract or the guy who once shot another guy for talking about OPS, loves baseball. (I'll leave figuring out which forum poster corresponds to which description as an exercise for the class.) :D

I don't care about when the thread was started, whether it was a jinx or not...I just know that I have never been so nervous watching an O's game in a long time. When he got out of the 7th I couldn't sit down. I've always wanted to see an Oriole pitcher throw a no-hitter, so when he got that close, i wanted it BAD!

Add to that, I think a no-hitter this early could have really given the team something to rally around.

You look at this from a strict technical, logical sense, which is fine, but don't dismiss people that are either a) superstitious

Lol well why not? Superstitious people are silly and should be dismissed out of hand.

Add to that, I think a no-hitter this early could have really given the team something to rally around.

But a no-hitter against the Twins only counts as like, half a real no-hitter.

Again superstitions are personal, just like people's spiritual beliefs. I don't belive in witchcraft, but I try not to disrespect those who do. To me announcing a no no, is much like mocking some one's personal spiritual beliefs. We have a similar tradition in the Theatre as regards the Scottish Play. Many actors don't buy into this, but many do, particularly those who have been in a production of that play. Only the most obnoxious actors disrespect the tradition. They usually are the worst as well, and don't stick around long, in the business.
The point is not that there is no logic to the superstition. There never is. It wouldn't be a superstion otherwise The point is that the consensus feeling of a group of people is to not mention the fact of a no, no. No one is compelled to go along with that, but if they want to ignore the feelings of the majority, they do so at the peril of being regarded an obnoxious jerk. Does this guy mock a kid making a wish before the kid blows out his birthday candles? Silly superstion? What about the power of prayer? Superstition? Oh no that's quite respectable. Voodo is for the hysterical nut cases.

Excellent analysis, Gordo. After all, people that are obnoxious and disrespectful are really annoying, aren't they ???

You calling anybody obnoxious and disrespectful might be funny if you were joking. You are easily one of the most obnoxious and condescending posters on these boards.

Then again, when I'm a little older, I'll probably understand what you are talking about.

o

Excellent analysis, Gordo. After all, people that are obnoxious and disrespectful are really annoying, aren't they ???

You calling anybody obnoxious and disrespectful might be funny if you were joking. You are easily one of the most obnoxious and condescending posters on these boards.

Then again, when I'm a little older, I'll probably understand what you are talking about.

o

I haven't referred to you directly as obnoxious and disrespectful. I am reffering a certain behavior, and mine and others' opinions of that behavior. I think people who mock others' superstitions, rituals, and customs, are disrespectful, obnoxious, and churlish. You on the other hand have violated the board rules by directly calling me obnoxious and condescending. In your case I am not surprised that you would find me to be so, and I doubt anyone will cite you for it.

The O's open the 2012 season with three straight wins on the strength of three straight gems tossed by their starters (coupled with opportunistic, intelligent hitting), and this is one of the things that's being discussed. Our Orioles fanhood has clearly left us in the captivity of negativity. Break free, gentlemen. Break free.

At least until New Yorkers overrun the ballpark :)

The O's open the 2012 season with three straight wins on the strength of three straight gems tossed by their starters (coupled with opportunistic, intelligent hitting), and this is one of the things that's being discussed. Our Orioles fanhood has clearly left us in the captivity of negativity. Break free, gentlemen. Break free.

At least until New Yorkers overrun our ballpark. :)

Well, we have about 4 more hours to enjoy it, then. :o

Archived