Jason Hammel Today

OFFNY

He was one of those sabermetric type guys that had strong peripherals but never seemed to get results.

Both his LOB% and his GB% are pretty high right now. And his BABIP agains is about 60 points below his career average for the moment. So there are some signals that this could fall apart quickly on him.

But I wonder how much being in Colorado hurt him. Interestingly enough he's used his fastball less so far this year than he has in his career. Maybe his use of more breaking stuff is keeping guys off his fastball as much. I could see using the fastball too much in Colorado hurting him quite quickly.

He will be an interesting guy to watch in terms of his peripherals and see if he continues to pitch a little bit differently than in the past and what kind of success that might bring.

I said when we signed him that I thought there was a strong possibility that the O's believe that Coors was suppressing Hammels' breaking pitches (because it does that) among other things. I'm not surprised he's using them more. Or that they look (particularly last start - from the highlights) better. Two-seamer is a great addition. Like his stuff - and his frame - much more than Guthrie's, so far.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1xugy1

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember hearing somewhere that he only recently developed his 2-seamer, can anybody verify this? If so, that could attest some to the improved performance.

He also had begun to work hard with pitching coach Rick Adair on his two-seam pitch which is what he used today so well to get all the groundballs.

"Just small, small adjustments I made with Rick in my windup and delivery. He said 'I bet you can throw a two-seamer now.' I told him I had pretty much put it in my back pocket in Colorado. Couldn't get it to do anything. It is something I'm going to run with now. It's huge," Hammel said.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/04/jason-hammel-talks-about-his-no-hit-bid-against-minnesota.html

He also had begun to work hard with pitching coach Rick Adair on his two-seam pitch which is what he used today so well to get all the groundballs.

"Just small, small adjustments I made with Rick in my windup and delivery. He said 'I bet you can throw a two-seamer now.' I told him I had pretty much put it in my back pocket in Colorado. Couldn't get it to do anything. It is something I'm going to run with now. It's huge," Hammel said.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/04/jason-hammel-talks-about-his-no-hit-bid-against-minnesota.html

Well that's certainly heartening. Can't complain too much right now. If Matusz gets his act together we're going to have a pretty legit pitching staff, at least relative to what we're used to seeing.

Man, I've seen one inning (the 5th) but he looks like he's absolutely DEALING! I just heard he had a rough 4th inning, but got out unscathed! Our starting pitching has been absolutely tremendous! I hope they keep up the great work! Unfortunately, I have Drabek in fantasy starting tonight, but I'd always take an O's win over a fantasy win any day! Let's go Birds!!!

My Oriole bias says that we were jobbed on Teixeira's single up the first baseline immediately preceding Chavez' 2-run home run in the second inning. Foul ball. Asa result, Hammel had to pitch from the stretch, and subsequently gave up the dinger.

Archived