Singleton: Pitch over Nick Johnson's Head was a Purpose Pitch

OFFNY

o

In the bottom of the first inning tonight, right after Freddy Garcia's pitch sailed over Nick Johnson's head, Ken Singleton chimed in. When he first started to say something, I was sure that he was going to say that that was NOT a purpose pitch with 2 runners on base in a 1-1 game. But he said the opposite. Even Michael Kay questioned Singleton, saying "You really think it was a purpose pitch?" Singleton said, "Yes. In light of Russell Martin claiming that Andino was stealing signs last night, followed by Andino's rant, Freddy Garcia isn't going to take that. Garcia just isn't going to take that."

Garcia wasn't going to take that? And with 2 runners on base, early in a 1-1 game?

I've already made my feelings known about Singleton showing a particular dislike for the Orioles when he announces Oriole-Yankee games on YES. This is an example of my perception of this.

As a Yankee announcer, I would expect him to favor the home team, regardless of the fact that he played for the Orioles, the Expos and the Mets when he was a player. Almost all team announcers are homers to varying degrees. I just think that he does it a little more so when the Yankees play the Orioles.

o

Singy was one of my favorite Orioles, if not THE favorite Oriole, but I am finding it harder and harder to like him. For anyone who dislikes Moose, you'd have to dislike Singy as much. Maybe Ken didn't turn his back on the Orioles, but he sure as hell bleeds the Pinstripes nowadays.

• 4 months later...

Singleton was endlessly going crazy last night about the Teixeira call last night. He was complaining more than Michael Kay was, and Kay has been a lifelong Yankee fan.

That's his job. And he's not wrong on that one. I'm inclined to cut the guy some slack on that one.

That's his job. And he's not wrong on that one. I'm inclined to cut the guy some slack on that one.

He has to be this way. He works for the Emperor and Darth Vader could always choke him out light years away.

He obviously knows where his checks are coming from.

He doesnt want to end up like Jon Miller or John Lowenstein.

He doesnt want to end up like Jon Miller or John Lowenstein.

Considering how things played out in his final year in Baltimore, and how the O's went down the tubes afterwards, I don't think Miller is too sad to be back home working for the Gints.

Considering how things played out in his final year in Baltimore, and how the O's went down the tubes afterwards, I don't think Miller is too sad to be back home working for the Gints.

Yeah but Jon was happy here. The fans loved him. Just one old Greek guy didnt.

Now the Yankees have 2 boy Steinbrenners to answer to. It cant be completely comfortable. Ken knows people would kill to have his job.

It's funny, on that Girardi ESPN clip they mentioned that someone in Yankee front office leadership called a phone conference after the game last night, probably to express their displeasure with how the team was being run. But then they canceled it. You could just see this happening:

[video=youtube_share;7O1Qd_FNgfM]

It was the Yankee President Randy Levine, and the speculation on the clip I saw was that he was going to complain about the umpiring.

We'll never know.

I'm going to continue to think it was going to be a Steinbrennerian micromanaging rant, that would have precipitated Billy Martin's 36th (but first post-mortem) managerial stint! :)

I'm going to continue to think it was going to be a Steinbrennerian micromanaging rant, that would have precipitated Billy Martin's 36th (but first post-mortem) managerial stint! :)

Everyone on the Yankees better shave those sideburns this morning.

HatB_-_Don_Mattingly

The Wedge said:

o

Not to the degree that he did. When he does his ranting schtick even more so than uber-homer Michael Kay does (which Singleton often does, not just last night), he's not just "doing his job.". And as I've pointed out, he does this a lot, not just on horrible calls like last night. See the OP and/or watch the Yankees on YES, especially when they play the Orioles (as I've also pointed out numerous times, Singleton has been just as disdainful toward the Orioles when they were bad as now that they are good.)

o

Archived