Dylan Bundy has his Second Start Tonight

weams

I meant your comment that his performance was basically to be expected at low A.

Then no, I don't think there's more to this than what I'm saying. Cameron isn't really a scout, but a writer, and he has probably never seen the kid pitch. No paid scout would look at his 6 innings in the Sally league and think to himself, "I wasn't a believer in Bundy before, but now..."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then no, I don't think there's more to this than what I'm saying. Cameron isn't really a scout, but a writer, and he has probably never seen the kid pitch. No paid scout would look at his 6 innings in the Sally league and think to himself, "I wasn't a believer in Bundy before, but now..."

Yeah, there shouldn't be any conversion narratives going on. It's just really nice to hear he is what we hoped he is, at least thus far.

The conventions that had him drop to 4th overall are still in place. If you put Gerrit Cole, or Danny Hultzen, or Trevor Bauer in the Sally, they'd look the same. Unfortunately, there just isn't much to guide just how good Bundy is until we see him against worthy competition.

Cameron is going nuts because he's probably never seen the kid before. In fact, it's a pretty easy way to spot when a prospect writer is getting his first look at someone really good (particularly after already writing and forming an opinion about him).

All of those guys are college guys though, not 19.

Yeah, there shouldn't be any conversion narratives going on. It's just really nice to hear he is what we hoped he is, at least thus far.

Yep. I reserve the right to get giddy about Orioles-related happenings when the gods actually give me reason to. And I also try to separate the emotion from the analysis.

It is fair to say that plenty of guys have flamed out with great numbers early, e.g. Homer Bailey and Matt Riley come to mind. I still think this kid might be super special, like TOR starter at 21 special.

It is fair to say that plenty of guys have flamed out with great numbers early, e.g. Homer Bailey and Matt Riley come to mind. I still think this kid might be super special, like TOR starter at 21 special.

Right. I agree. But because of 6 innings in the Sally league? Really? Do prospects not exist until they step on the field in A-ball? Everyone in the scouting world has known for a couple of years or more that Dylan Bundy is very special.

So what? That's not really applicable here.

Sure it is because up you were pointing out that they would dominate Sally pitching. That is much less of a big deal if there are a couple of years older. Scouts are much more impressed by a 19 year old dominating the Sally league vs a 21 year old.

Jameson Taillon, whom plenty would have taken over anyone in last years draft other than Cole, had a 3.98 era in the Sally last year. I think you are underplaying the dominance a bit.

Right. I agree. But because of 6 innings in the Sally league? Really? Do prospects not exist until they step on the field in A-ball? Everyone in the scouting world has known for a couple of years or more that Dylan Bundy is very special.

I think the reason for the reaction is that if the above was the general wisdom among scouts, it is hard to believe that there we're three better players drafted in front of him. Drafts don't generally produce one, much less three pitchers of that description

Sure it is because up you were pointing out that they would dominate Sally pitching. That is much less of a big deal if there are a couple of years older. Scouts are much more impressed by a 19 year old dominating the Sally league vs a 21 year old.

Jameson Taillon, whom plenty would have taken over anyone in last years draft other than Cole, had a 3.98 era in the Sally last year. I think you are underplaying the dominance a bit.

No, scouts who know Bundy would know what to expect. We know what curve to grade Bundy on because we know where he was drafted and what contract he was given, and we have that information in context of the other players that were available for selection.

Taillon was a completely different animal. His draft profile is different from that of Bundy's and the bonus he received was predicated on an entirely different set of criteria.

I think the reason for the reaction is that if the above was the general wisdom among scouts, it is hard to believe that there we're three better players drafted in front of him. Drafts don't generally produce one, much less three pitchers of that description

You're caught-up on age while ignoring the other characteristics -- primarily physicality and projection. A typical high schooler comes with a fair amount of projection, in some form or another. Bundy's scouting profile has much more in common with a traditional elite college arm than it does with a traditional elite high school arm.

In the case of the 2011 class, Bundy had some strikes against him which attributed to the decisions of three organizations ahead of him go in different directions. Were Bundy Cole's size, Hultzen's handedness, or privy to Bauer's track record, you probably would have seen him go #1 overall.

Some scouts did believe Bundy was the best in the draft. Many scouts thought he was an elite talent, but worried moderately about some previous stress on his young arm, whether his frame would allow him to maintain plus-plus velocity when working long outings vs. pro hitters on 4 days rest, and whether it was wise to invest 5+ MM and use a top 5 pick on a physically maxed out HS right-hander, a profile that doesn't usually sit at the top of the chart.

Whatever the opinion of any given scout, I doubt you'd find one deserving of his job who has changed his opinion of Bundy after 6 dominant innings in the SAL.

Archived