Dear Orioles, Here is what you should do with Kevin Gregg:

Todd-O

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is pretty obviously unhappy with where he is pitching and we're pretty obviously unhappy with the way he is pitching.

I know Gregg has made unpopular comments because he doesn't take blame for anythign, but has he said he doesn't like being here? I've seen a few people make this comment but I've don't recall seeing anything from Gregg himself.

There are teams that would still take him so long as we paid most of the contract. I'd be on the phone with every club that has bullpen depth problems tonight. If I got zero interest, I'd approach Gregg to see if he'd accept a minor league assignment. If he wouldn't, I'd just cut him. I'd do this pretty quickly. He is pretty obviously unhappy with where he is pitching and we're pretty obviously unhappy with the way he is pitching. Today's outing was bad because I saw a guy who was just throwing it as hard as he could. He looked pissed and like he didn't really want to be out there to me.

I can't believe Dan hasn't been on the phone til his minutes ran out trying to make a trade, all salary paid. Otherwise I agree with everything here.

The problem with Gregg is that he can't accept the role that his performance warrants. Therefore, he's going to become a poison to the club. Buck needs to sit him down and explain that his current performance puts him in the mop up role. If he wants a better role, he'll have to earn it. If he can't accept that, cut him. But, I would give him a chance to accept that first.

I can't believe Dan hasn't been on the phone til his minutes ran out trying to make a trade, all salary paid. Otherwise I agree with everything here.

I'd have to agree with this. There's no way DD hasn't explored trade opportunities. Thing is... He's so bad, you'd be a complete idiot to trade for him.

What are the legal options with this guy? Can we just send him to AAA? Can he refuse? What happens if he refuses?

If we can just get him off the 25 man roster we should do it, whether or not we have to pay his salary. It doesn't matter if we get any return for him at all. I would most like it if we can get him off the roster, even if we pay his salary, but no other team can claim him with our paying his salary. (So) he's effectively just out of baseball for a year. Let him suck on that and try to convince some team next year that he is worth something.

I don't think I've ever been more pissed at a Baltimore player than Gregg - combined attitude and performance. Mike Gonzalez sucked for us but he never ever said 'I should be closing' and just shut down if we asked him to come in and do something else because he hadn't performed in that role. Gregg got way more leash and opportunities last year because of his contract than he deserved, and he FAIILED. He has FAILED in almost every opportunity he had been put in.

Good pitchers get hitters out. Is that too complicated for Gregg to understand? If you want to be the closer, show us that you can get runners out. Good pitchers get batters out in the 6th inning just as well as they do in the 9th inning. You, Keven Gregg, are not a good pitcher.

San Francisco was interested in Reynolds during ST and with Wilson their closer sidelined they may be interested in Gregg. Package deal.

Reynolds, Gregg, and oodles of cash for Belt would be something else. I'll suffer through a year of Wilson Betemit's defense for that.

Realistically, I would have absolutely no problem with them just outright releasing him and calling up Berken or just waiting for Wada to be ready.

Is it possible that he hasn't been released because they're waiting for Wada to get ready?

Guys, I've been a long time reader here, signed up for an account not too long ago and Sunday's game has brought me to the point where I have to make my first post ever on this board.

I simply couldn't take it anymore. Kevin Gregg is flat out baseball poison. A malcontent who is completely unhappy with his role, entirely overvalues his own skill and worth as a baseball player and a guy who is not willing to take the least bit of responsibility for his terrible performances.

He hits far too many batters, quite often you can tell he is doing it on purpose, he has zero command of his pitches and he refuses to accept the fact that he doesn't have closer stuff (and you could make a very strong argument he never did). At least, for the Orioles he has never had closer stuff.

But that is really beside the point. The main point here is that there isn't a single Orioles fan out there who has any confidence left in Gregg. No one. Just wait until he gets the next call out of the Pen at OPACY. It's going to be a blood bath. In all honesty, he might get the loudest and longest boo that any Oriole has EVER received from the home team in our franchises entire history.

I live in Virginia Beach and if I could get up there in the next week or so, I'd absolutely come to a few games in a row until he pitches so I could boo him until my vocal chords exploded in my throat. He is literally my least favorite Oriole of all time. He's a scumbag who beans guys on a consistent basis but faces no consequences for it other than getting our players beaned in retaliation on occasion.

He does FAR more damage then good for the entire organization, both as a monetary drain, a locker room poison and as a gas can who is routinely getting lit up on the mound.

If he isn't released in the next two weeks and Buck continues to send him out there to get smoked as a middle reliever, Buck can hit the damn bricks as well. I have no patience for excuse makers and right now, both Buck and Gregg are FULL of excuses for his awful performances for the last year and 3 weeks. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but the Duquette HAS to make the right move here and release him. Bring up Neshek or a young arm from Norfolk, it really doesn't matter who, anyone is better than Gregg in the sense that, even if they give up the same amount of runs and hits, at least we aren't watching Gregg fail anymore. I literally cannot stand seeing his fat ugly face on the mound anymore. He hasn't worn out his welcome, he's destroyed it Hiroshima style.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I literally just couldn't take it anymore. I've been reading this board for quite some time but Sunday's performance was the final straw, I just had to add my 2 cents. We have to try and put as much pressure as we can on Danny boy to cut this sorry no account punk for the good of the team and for the good of our television remotes!

Archived