Dear Orioles, Here is what you should do with Kevin Gregg:

Todd-O

Weren't the Orioles already losing when he entered the game today? Did they score any more runs later in the game? Gregg sucked, and he allowed the game to get out of hand, but he was "responsible" for the loss.

In the other game where he allowed the game-winning HR, he actually pitched very well in his first inning, but got tired in the 2nd. He's not a guy you want out there for 2 IP.

The O's aren't going to cut Gregg any time soon, so we just have to hope he does better next time out.

I agree. As frustarting as Gregg's performance has been, the fact remains that he's making about six million dollars this year. He's making too much money to outright release at this point. Hopefully, he better next time out. Hopefully he bottomed out yesterday.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. As frustarting as Gregg's performance has been, the fact remains that he's making about six million dollars this year. He's making too much money to outright release at this point. Hopefully, he better next time out. Hopefully he bottomed out yesterday.
I can't get over the look on Buck's face when Gregg was melting down yesterday. I have a gut feeling that he won't put up with that too much longer. If Gregg has a few more of these, I think they will bite the bullet.

It is beyond me why they would be holding a valuable bullpen slot for him. Isn't this all about winning??? If you can win more with a guy you bring up from the minors, then it's worth eating his contract and cutting him loose... Or at least letting him work out his SEVERE issues in the minors.

I can't get over the look on Buck's face when Gregg was melting down yesterday. I have a gut feeling that he won't put up with that too much longer. If Gregg has a few more of these, I think they will bite the bullet.

I agree that we are closer to the end of the Kevin Gregg era. He's been given enough rope in close games. If I was Buck, his next time out has to be mop up duty. Maybe he can get a couple of guys out. He's brutal.

So you are saying that the Orioles would rather keep a guy on their team - like Gregg - because of his salary? Salary trumps winning? They are willing to eat wins just to run this guy out there because he's making $5 million this year?

I can understand that position if Gregg had been solid in B-more for the vast majority of his tenure. But that's simply not the case... and we definitely have a better arm in the wings that could replace him.

What bothers me about Gregg is not his results or his salary. It's the fact that he signed the contract but is upset about not closing. He seems unhappy and does not want to be here. That annoys me because he signed a large contract with a team that has had no record of success in the past decade. What did he expect? He should not simply be handed a closing role if he doesn't earn it.

I can live with guys messing up, but his attitude bothers me more.

So you are saying that the Orioles would rather keep a guy on their team - like Gregg - because of his salary? Salary trumps winning? They are willing to eat wins just to run this guy out there because he's making $5 million this year?

I can understand that position if Gregg had been solid in B-more for the vast majority of his tenure. But that's simply not the case... and we definitely have a better arm in the wings that could replace him.

No. I just said that Gregg is on the team right now because of his salary. He never would have come north if he was making a couple of million dollars a year. Like it or not, baseball is a business and his salary is definitely a factor in all of this. ( Hey, if I hit the Mega- Million a couple of weeks ago, I may have given him the 6 million to retire.) However, after thinking about it a bit more,I'm predicting that he does not make it back to Baltimore and gets DFA/released during this road trip.

I agree that we can't just dump him right now. I think the O's are trying to evaluate him in other roles like coming in for situational relief or as a 7th/8th inning setup guy.

One apperance he pitched well for 5 of 6 outs.

The O's will have decisions to make once Wada has to be activated from the DL. Gregg, O'day, and Patton are probably in trouble when it comes to that time.

But I don't see them releasing Gregg until later this season.

Gregg's a sunk cost- If we have people who can perform better than him, which we certainly do, he shouldn't be with the team.

If a builder buys some wood and it rots, he doesn't use it in a desperate attempt to recover some of the cost, he throws it away.

Im not sure what they plan to do with Wada, but I would suspect he may become the long man if Britton's rehab goes according to plan and he rejoins the rotation. In that case, Gregg is the logical choice to get cut.

I agree that we can't just dump him right now. I think the O's are trying to evaluate him in other roles like coming in for situational relief or as a 7th/8th inning setup guy.

One apperance he pitched well for 5 of 6 outs.

The O's will have decisions to make once Wada has to be activated from the DL. Gregg, O'day, and Patton are probably in trouble when it comes to that time.

But I don't see them releasing Gregg until later this season.

What's the use of this? It's not like he's magically going to get better depending upon the inning he's brought into.

If we did it to Gibbons, we can do it to him. Just cut him.

What's the use of this? It's not like he's magically going to get better depending upon the inning he's brought into.

If we did it to Gibbons, we can do it to him. Just cut him.

In fact, he seems to hate not closing so much that he pitches even worse in earlier innings. At least that's what his excuse was last year and in spring training.

Archived