Ouch For Yanks

Jimbo81

Just saw this in MLBTR.........

UPDATE, 12-5-07 at 8:30am: The Yankees could've had Santana for Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jeff Marquez, and Mitch Hilligoss. Brian Cashman, however, never wanted to sacrifice Hughes for Santana and convinced his bosses that the Yankees couldn't afford him now that Andy Pettitte is in the fold. This near-trade won't be forgotten by Yankees fans, unless Hughes takes off in '08.

I'm not sure if Hughes can live up to this.:P

Just saw this in MLBTR.........

UPDATE, 12-5-07 at 8:30am: The Yankees could've had Santana for Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jeff Marquez, and Mitch Hilligoss. Brian Cashman, however, never wanted to sacrifice Hughes for Santana and convinced his bosses that the Yankees couldn't afford him now that Andy Pettitte is in the fold. This near-trade won't be forgotten by Yankees fans, unless Hughes takes off in '08.

I'm not sure if Hughes can live up to this.:P

Or Pettitte for that matter. :P

I really think the Yanks are dumb for announcing that they are out of the Johan running. All they have done is lower the price for the Sox, since they are the only serious suitor left. Even if they didn't want him, they could have kept out token offers to make the Sox have to overpay.

I really think the Yanks are dumb for announcing that they are out of the Johan running. All they have done is lower the price for the Sox, since they are the only serious suitor left. Even if they didn't want him, they could have kept out token offers to make the Sox have to overpay.

They mentioned this last night on the BBTN special. Gammons said that Theo is a man of honor and wouldnt pull back pieces of a deal once he has offered it.

But, just because the Yanks said they are out doesn't mean that is the case.

Didn't they say that about AROD at one point ?

But, just because the Yanks said they are out doesn't mean that is the case.

Didn't they say that about AROD at one point ?

Yes, both Cashmen and Hal Steinbrenner said that discussions with A-Rod were finished if he opted out of his old contract.

To cover that, they have the fig leaves of excluding Boras from the negotiations and of subtracting the lost contributions of the Rangers from Alex's $28M the first 3 years of the new contract. I guess that reduces their average cost for A-R0D from $28M per year for 10 years to $26M per year (or $21M per year for the first 3 years, $28M the latter 7).

Archived