Derek Jeter - 4,000 hits

CA-ORIOLE

OK, I know, everybody hates Derek Jeter.

Putting that aside, does anybody think Jeter has a shot at 4,000 hits or maybe even Pete Rose's hit record of 4,256? He looks as good as ever this year. He's such a great opposite field hitter I'm not sure bat speed is much of an issue for him right now at 38....not sure about 42/43.

Assuming a good year this year, he'd be around 3,280 or so by the end of the year and will be 38 in June. I do think his time in SS may be limited and he might be looking at DH in 2014 at least. I'm not sure how he and the Yankees would look at declining production and DH for Jeter in the future, but I think he might have a shot at both records if he was accomodated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he has a shot but a very long one. He'd have to play until he was 45 or something.

Yeah, that's what Rose did. They look almost about the same number in hits based on age. Rose had his last 6 years (39-45) of an approx 700 OPS and racked up 1,000 hits. Not sure the Yankees (or Jeter) would want to do that.

Yeah, that's what Rose did. They look almost about the same number in hits based on age. Rose had his last 6 years (39-45) of an approx 700 OPS and racked up 1,000 hits. Not sure the Yankees (or Jeter) would want to do that.

Rose was also a player/manager that had free reign to insert himself in the lineup on a daily basis without regard to ability.

Here's the top 10 list for most hits all-time:

1 Pete Rose 4,256

2 Ty Cobb 4,191

3 Hank Aaron 3,771

4 Stan Musial 3,630

5 Tris Speaker 3,514

6 Carl Yastrzemski 3,419

7 Cap Anson 3,418

8 Honus Wagner 3,415

9 Paul Molitor 3,319

10 Eddie Collins 3,315

I personally doubt that Jeter will get especially close to 4,000. However he'll probably be in the top 5 all-time and it's certainly possible that he'll end up in the #3 spot for most hits all-time behind only Rose and Cobb.

Rose was also a player/manager that had free reign to insert himself in the lineup on a daily basis without regard to ability.

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't see the Yankees dealing with a 700ish OPS for 3-4 years. Nor do I see Jeter leaving the Yankees.

And he was a selfish jerk who was WILLING to hurt the team to get his hits :P

Whatever we want to say about Jeter, there's no evidence he has that particular personality flaw.

And he was a selfish jerk who was WILLING to hurt the team to get his hits :P

Whatever we want to say about Jeter, there's no evidence he has that particular personality flaw.

Maybe not to get hits, but he wouldn't move off of SS when a better one came to his team.

Maybe not to get hits, but he wouldn't move off of SS when a better one came to his team.

True.

I think we'll see what happens over the next few years as his present contract comes up again. Does he keep taking less money to stay in New York? Does he retire? Does he try to, actively or passively, force the team into giving him big money and keeping him at shortstop?

Archived