Adam Jones related....Does anybody know

Roll Tide

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the Jones isn't patient thing. This year he has been much much better.

So far Jones is seeing an average of 3.75 pitches per plate appearance, which just so happens to be the same as the career average for Derek Jeter.

Last year Jones saw only 3.60 P/PA, he has improved that greatly so far. He is also only swinging at 50% of pitches thrown to him, down about 5% from his career averages.

Jones has been more patient this year that the last two.

No, they will not.

You are backing yourself into a corner and now you are grasping. His hot start is making this thread even more laughable.

Agreed. This "argument" from Johnny is getting even worse. But, some people just won't admit when they've been proven wrong.

To the Jones isn't patient thing. This year he has been much much better.

So far Jones is seeing an average of 3.75 pitches per plate appearance, which just so happens to be the same as the career average for Derek Jeter.

Last year Jones saw only 3.60 P/PA, he has improved that greatly so far. He is also only swinging at 50% of pitches thrown to him, down about 5% from his career averages.

Jones has been more patient this year that the last two.

This should be a really interesting development. Obviously everyone wants to see more walks from Jones, but if he likes to be aggressive with what he sees and he's getting to the pitches in the zone we could really have something.

There is some real evidence to back up his approach though. His Z Swing % (pitches in the zone) is down 6% so far from last year. His O Swing % (pitches outside the zone) is down 5%. Maybe his pitch recognition is starting to improve.

As he progresses as a hitter, he may never take 80 walks a year, but if he can get the numbers up to 45-50 BBs a year. But if he stays selective he'll start to get more pitches outside the zone and if he can lay off, we might just have something.

With Jones it's always been about pitch recognition to me. And maybe...the light has gone off.

This should be a really interesting development. Obviously everyone wants to see more walks from Jones, but if he likes to be aggressive with what he sees and he's getting to the pitches in the zone we could really have something.

There is some real evidence to back up his approach though. His Z Swing % (pitches in the zone) is down 6% so far from last year. His O Swing % (pitches outside the zone) is down 5%. Maybe his pitch recognition is starting to improve.

As he progresses as a hitter, he may never take 80 walks a year, but if he can get the numbers up to 45-50 BBs a year. But if he stays selective he'll start to get more pitches outside the zone and if he can lay off, we might just have something.

With Jones it's always been about pitch recognition to me. And maybe...the light has gone off.

The light has gone on!

I agree you can just see it in his at bats so far this year. He is being selective and in only a couple at bats where his emotions came to the surface he has been sticking with the plan. He will have a monster year.

Agreed. This "argument" from Johnny is getting even worse. But, some people just won't admit when they've been proven wrong.

I'm not wrong ....Jones has had 1 good game were he produced non solo homerun RBIs. That is a fact ...Period end of discussion. He still flails wildly at a lot of junk. He seems to be laying off the low and outside breaking balls which cant hurt. He still has is striking out 10% 5 out of 50 & only has 1 BB in 50 PAs. These are all true!

I'm not wrong ....Jones has had 1 good game were he produced non solo homerun RBIs. That is a fact ...Period end of discussion. He still flails wildly at a lot of junk. He seems to be laying off the low and outside breaking balls which cant hurt. He still has is striking out 10% 5 out of 50 & only has 1 BB in 50 PAs. These are all true!

He's now hitting .250 in scoring position and you act like he's struck out every single PA with runners in scoring position.

Stupid Adam Jones. Why couldn't he force other players to get on base before hitting his home runs? Oh wait...yeah. That's silly.

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen on here. Jones has 1 good game? That's what you're saying? When he went 3-4 with a HR and 2 RBI, that wasn't a good game? He's got a 1.036 OPS and you're saying he's only had one good game. You're foolish if you believe that.

Jones comes up with the Orioles trailing 3-1 in the sixth and one out and swings at the first pitch and pops it up and then semi walks down to first with a "I screwed up look." Immature? Yes! Has he improved ? Yes. Does he strike out with men on third and less than two outs or with two outs? Yes! I believe at least three times in the last week. No....he's not perfect. Will he ever end the bad habits? That's the $60 million dollar question. 8 RBI's and 5 HR'S batting 4th with Reimold, Hardy and Markakis in front of him? That's pretty hard to do. Less stress when nobody is on base? Jones would love to return to the west coast and we can expect him to be swinging for the fences this weekend trying to impress the Angels, Padres and Giants. Reimold just got number 5 to tie Jones with 5 HR's. Reimold has 9 RBI'S batting leadoff to Jones's 8 RBI's batting 4th. Maybe they should be reversed. Should Jones bat leadoff and Reimold bat 4th? No? Don't ruin a good thing?

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen on here. Jones has 1 good game? That's what you're saying? When he went 3-4 with a HR and 2 RBI, that wasn't a good game? He's got a 1.036 OPS and you're saying he's only had one good game. You're foolish if you believe that.

WO ...You're only selectively hearing what I'm saying. Are you doing it on purpose to try to down me? I said that Jones has only had 1 good game where he's produced RBI that was not of the solo home run variety. I'm not trying to diminish all the solo homeruns as they certainly count especially when he hit them. I was simply pointing to the fact that he was struggling with men on base other than one game. That again is a fact no matter how ridiculous you happen to think it is. He is hitting in the clean up position in the Orioles lineup and before the game the other night he had produced only one RBI that was not himself in 12 games. The Solo production is fine for a #8 hitter. I know others have mentioned that Hardy & Kakes could get on base more in front of him. That would certainly give him more opportunities to raise the %. It may happen over time this season and could happen rather quickly. But I was merely pointing out a observation thus far in the season. A observation that his advocates seem to want to selectively ignore.

Archived