IP:. 4-Plus *

H:o 3

R:O 4

ER:)2 **

BB: 2

SO: 6

Pitches: 88 (53 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.52

* Berken walked one batter before departing in the 5th inning.

** The Tides' defense made 3 errors so far today in 5 innings. All 3 errors led to the 3 unearned runs by Berken. The first 2 errors occurred while he was in the game. The 3rd error allowed the first batter that Villareal faced to reach base safely immediately after Berken's departure.

JASON BERKEN O(vs. AAA-Toledo Mud Hens 6/24)

IP:. 8

H:o 3 (1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 2

Pitches: 96 (61 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.32 [AAA-Norfolk]

I wonder what Berken can be for us. I don't think he has much of a shot as a starter, but I thought he looked good out of the pen when he was healthy and he had his curveball working. He is good bullpen depth IMO.

I wonder what Berken can be for us. I don't think he has much of a shot as a starter, but I thought he looked good out of the pen when he was healthy and he had his curveball working. He is good bullpen depth IMO.

Yeah, Berken is kind of in never-never land. Even though his numbers at AAA-Norfolk are better than Brad Bergesen's, I think that management sees Bergesen as having a better chance at becoming an Oriole starter again someday than does Berken. That's probably because Bergesen has had a couple of significant stretches as an excellent starter for us in 2009 and at the end of 2010. Plus, he was the only Oriole that had a complete-game shutout in 2011, even though the rest of that season was crappy for him.

Oh, well. I guess it's good to have depth like this. Hell, if 1 or 2 of our starters suddenly went down with an injury, I think Berken OR Bergesen would at least have a puncher's chance to pitch a few games and be fairly effective as a starter if we needed them to. :)

Seriously, what does this guy have to do to get called up? He can't possibly be worse than Hunter. No way Hunter could put up those numbers in AAA, probably not even AA.

Hunter has had one start at AAA-Norfolk this year. It was a complete game, as the Tides played a doubleheader that day.

IP:. 7

H:o 6 (1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 85 (56 Strikes, 29 Balls)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2012_06_02_swbaaa_noraaa_1

Archived