Philip Humber vs. the Mariners 4/21/12

nevadaO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, say he struck him out. And he reached on the ball getting away. And he gets the next guy. Still not a perfect game, right?

I think that was a little Ryan not doing the unwritten rules thang. He reacted to the call, but then he paused when he saw the ball.

If Nick Markakis checks his swing during the 3rd inning, you see 3 different replays. Now we are here the next morning and I've seen countless highlights of this game and not one side view to see if he really checked his swing or not. It does bother me. It's a perfect game one way or the other but we have a right to see for ourselves. It's like a conspiracy by ESPN and MLB not to ruin a good feeling about the perfect game. Very strange. In normal speed, it looked like he checked it but I'd need to see a replay.

Check the :50 mark of this video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20821149&topic_id=21753540

If Nick Markakis checks his swing during the 3rd inning, you see 3 different replays. Now we are here the next morning and I've seen countless highlights of this game and not one side view to see if he really checked his swing or not. It does bother me. It's a perfect game one way or the other but we have a right to see for ourselves. It's like a conspiracy by ESPN and MLB not to ruin a good feeling about the perfect game. Very strange. In normal speed, it looked like he checked it but I'd need to see a replay.

I am still fine with it. To find out that he had a perfect game as a result of a blown call would be almost as bad as a couple years ago when a perfect game was lost by a bad call.

The odds of the end result of the game being altered by that out call are miniscule.

I don't get it. If it's a bad call then it's a walk and no perfect game but you think that's miniscule?

You don't want to know the truth because the truth might bother you? I get that on some level. Still, it's as if the baseball networks made that decision for us. BTW, thanks to the other poster for the video but it's impossible to tell anything on that.

Here's a still shot that shows that it either was a swing or close enough that you can't complain. Still, very odd that such a big moment wasn't replayed.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16599

I meant the chances of the Mariners winning the game.

Archived