Dontrelle Willis walks out on the Orioles without permission

paulcoates

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone think Willis will still be in the organization by July?

He hasn't thrown a professional inning since I made this prediction on May 9th, correct?

Absolutely remarkable that he is still on the team. It would appear that my prediction will be incorrect, even if it is for reasons completely beyond my comprehension.

DONTRELLE WILLIS O(vs. AAA-Columbus Clippers 6/28)

IP:O 2.67

H:o) 6 (1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:..) 4

BB:) 2

SO:) 4

Pitches: 70 (43 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2012 ERA: 8.53

DONTRELLE BY INNINGS

31 *

* Willis recorded 2 outs in the 3rd inning before departing.

How anyone in this organization can think that Dontrele Willis or even (yes i know he pitched well there) Jamie Moyer should take a rotation spot either in the minors or majors is baffling to me.

The Toronto GM is on the record as saying "there is no such thing as a bad minor league signing". I agree.

Neither will pitch in the majors for the Orioles, so that part is moot.

The Toronto GM is on the record as saying "there is no such thing as a bad minor league signing". I agree.

Neither will pitch in the majors for the Orioles, so that part is moot.

This is where the Tornoto GM is wrong. Maybe Moyer, but then they didn't use him after he pitched great. What was the point in that? Bergy or Steve Johnson should be in the rotation in AAA. Bergy, so they can trade him for something-anything. Johnson, because his numbers are really good and it's just stupid that he is a long man in AAA at his age and with his numbers. Plus, we have 2-3 starters struggling in Baltimore.

This is where the Tornoto GM is wrong. Maybe Moyer, but then they didn't use him after he pitched great. What was the point in that? Bergy or Steve Johnson should be in the rotation in AAA. Bergy, so they can trade him for something-anything. Johnson, because his numbers are really good and it's just stupid that he is a long man in AAA at his age and with his numbers. Plus, we have 2-3 starters struggling in Baltimore.

Moyer cost the O's essentially nothing. Bergesen is not a major league starter, not unless someone can locate his plus-plus sinker that's been AWOL for years. No one is getting any kind of return on a mediocre AAA pitcher. And Johnson is clearly thought of as a fringy guy, without the stuff to be an effective major league pitcher. He wasn't left off the 40-man, taken in the Rule 5, returned, and bounced around the Tides rotation because the Orioles (or the Giants) thought he was anything but a Grade C prospect. Among Norfolk Tides with 10+ IP Steve Johnson is 11th in ERA.

For Johnson to be taken in the Rule 5 and returned by the Giants the year they won the WS is not a negative for him. Just means he wasn't ready for the majors on a very good staff at 21. That is the case for most pitchers. as far as ERA. Johnson would quaify for top 10 in ERA in the league if he had a couple more innings. 10-15 innings is not enough to compare good or bad stats. His other numbers are very good. Batting avg against, Hits per inn and K's. He clearly seems to have put it together this year and for him to sit in a AAA bullpen at 24 is just stupid. Moyer not costing any money is not the point. He was taking up a spot that Bergy could have been showcased or Johnson could have used for developement. Now Willis is there. He is awful.

For Johnson to be taken in the Rule 5 and returned by the Giants the year they won the WS is not a negative for him. Just means he wasn't ready for the majors on a very good staff at 21. That is the case for most pitchers. as far as ERA. Johnson would quaify for top 10 in ERA in the league if he had a couple more innings. 10-15 innings is not enough to compare good or bad stats. His other numbers are very good. Batting avg against, Hits per inn and K's. He clearly seems to have put it together this year and for him to sit in a AAA bullpen at 24 is just stupid. Moyer not costing any money is not the point. He was taking up a spot that Bergy could have been showcased or Johnson could have used for developement. Now Willis is there. He is awful.

You need to remember that Johnson pitches in a league that averages 4.2 runs/team/game, in an extreme pitcher's park. They have a team ERA of 3.27 and a losing record. Hunter, Eveland, Berken, Gonzalez, and Moyer have a combined ERA of nearly a run/game better than Johnson.

Archived