Gregg vs. Most of the rest of O's pen

bluedog

Gregg has given up more ER (5) in 4.2 innings than Johnson, Strop, Lindstrom, Ayala & O'Day combined (4 ER) over 44 innings.

I know its fashionable to pile on Gregg at the moment, but that's an amazing set of stats to me and shows just how extraordinary the O's pen has been through the first 18 games.

Nice job rebuilding our pen so far DD. Now find a way to get rid of Gregg!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last outing was in CHI on 4/18. He's only appeared in 4 of the 18 games so far this season. He is obviously being minimized and should only be in blow-out games (winning or losing) in order to keep the "real" players fresh for games that will matter.

Last outing was in CHI on 4/18. He's only appeared in 4 of the 18 games so far this season. He is obviously being minimized and should only be in blow-out games (winning or losing) in order to keep the "real" players fresh for games that will matter.

I want to see him pitch. It would be nice for our offense to bust out tonight, so that we can watch Gregg throw a couple of innings.

For all the statistical analysis in the game now, it still blows me away that most teams do not understand the concept of sunk cost. You have to pay Gregg whether he's on the roster or not. Why play with either a 24 man roster or an incredibly ineffective reliever when you could use that spot for someone who is more effective at a low marginal cost (Neshak, Phillips, or Antonelli)?

What people forget about Gregg is that he pitched to a 3.51 ERA with 37 saves as recently as 2010. The O's are hoping to use him in blow outs and get him going. Then trade him to save half his salary. I don't think they will cut him anytime soon.

And to think, he's the highest-paid pitcher on the team.

That's mind boggling. Hadn't realized that till you posted it.
Man, that is really sad.

Given the nature of free agency, where you're paid big bucks for your peak performance during your decline years, I'd be willing to bet many teams have a highest-paid something-or-other who's vastly underperforming. Pick a random team... the Giants... their highest paid player is Barry Zito, who is currently pitching well but has provided them 4 wins for $80M over his contract so far. Their highest-paid position player is Aubrey Huff, who fields like Ty Wigginton and has had a sub-700 OPS three of the last four years (including April '12 as a "year").

I'm all for not playing Kevin Gregg, but the downside of that is if he doesn't start getting innings he runs the risk of being even worse the next time he comes in. We're more or less screwed no matter what we do. Bring him and his sucks, don't pitch and he may suck even more. Releasing him would be optimal, but I can't see it happening.

Given the nature of free agency, where you're paid big bucks for your peak performance during your decline years, I'd be willing to bet many teams have a highest-paid something-or-other who's vastly underperforming. Pick a random team... the Giants... their highest paid player is Barry Zito, who is currently pitching well but has provided them 4 wins for $80M over his contract so far. Their highest-paid position player is Aubrey Huff, who fields like Ty Wigginton and has had a sub-700 OPS three of the last four years (including April '12 as a "year").

I noticed the other day that Ronny Paulino is making twice what Matt Wieters is making.

Archived