Chris Davis

theobird

I like Davis a lot. No, he's not going to be a superstar and, no, he's not going to carry the team on his back. But he is going to produce at a decent rate for a very reasonable cost. He allows the Orioles to use resources to fill bigger holes on the roster, of which there are many. That has value.

It seems a little crazy to me to complain about Davis when we've got a crater at third base and the Mariana Trench for a starting rotation.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Here's a thing I didn't expect. In all of MLB history there have only been 10 seasons where a player had 30+ homers, <=40 walks, and more than 150 Ks. I expected the following seasons from these players to be pretty poor.

But actually:

Alfonso Soriano actually played about as well in '03 as in '02.

Andres Galarraga was a little better in '97 than in '96.

Tony Armas only fell off 19 points of OPS after '84.

Ron Kittle and Henry Rodriguez declined, but didn't totally crash after their Chris Davis seasons in '83 and '96.

Dave Kingman improved a little after '75.

Butch Hobson dropped 69 OPS points in '78.

Cory Snyder played much better in '88 than '87, despite league-wide offensive cratering.

Bo Jackson had his best OPS and OPS+ the year after his Davis-like '89.

So maybe, just maybe, Chris Davis isn't destined to have his K:BB ratio crush his performance going forward.

Davis has been flat out awesome this year, especially since Markakis has went down (or maybe its just more noticeable without Nick in the lineup). I think Chris can do some great things for this team in the future. His ability to play the outfield as a decent defender only adds to his value. Oh yeah... he can pitch too.

On a related note. I would love to see the stats for our RF production and the leadoff spot production since Markakis got hurt. I've looked on a few websites, but can't find a site where I can get this info from. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Archived