Taking the OH pulse on Andino

Todd-O

First of all -- I know some posters were skeptical that Andino would be as good in 2012 as he was in 2011. So far, he has been better. Right now, he is playing as an above average starting 2B. You don't move a guy off his position that easily when he is performing at an above average level.

Second of all -- we have no idea how good BRob will be when he comes back, whether he'll be able to play pretty much every day, how his defense will look, etc. So, I don't see that he is just going to be slotted into 2B every day and Andino will have to find another spot.

Third -- let's assume BRob comes back, hitting very well and playing acceptable defense. Yes, in that scenario I could see Andino becoming a super-utility type, but he'd still have to be in the lineup 75% of the time or more. He's the best defensive 3B we have, so I'd expect him to get a fair amount of time there, and also play a pretty significant amount at 2B with BRob perhaps DHing, not to mention spelling Hardy.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of when Roberts came on to take Hairstons spot when he went down how ever many years ago it was now. I'm a big Andino fan if you couldn't tell. Why not move BRob to 3rd... or would that just not work?

Andino to third wouldn't be the end of the world, but as stated what then do we do with Flaherty?

Hopefully Roberts comes back productive. This is a problem I certainly wouldn't mind having.

Roberts is not a better fielder. Roberts was a better hitter.

Agreed and it is disgusting if we just hand the job back to Brob. No way. He earns playing time and it will probably be a win-win because he won't stay healthy long. Platooning him will perhaps prolong his value.

First of all -- I know some posters were skeptical that Andino would be as good in 2012 as he was in 2011. So far, he has been better. Right now, he is playing as an above average starting 2B. You don't move a guy off his position that easily when he is performing at an above average level.

Second of all -- we have no idea how good BRob will be when he comes back, whether he'll be able to play pretty much every day, how his defense will look, etc. So, I don't see that he is just going to be slotted into 2B every day and Andino will have to find another spot.

Third -- let's assume BRob comes back, hitting very well and playing acceptable defense. Yes, in that scenario I could see Andino becoming a super-utility type, but he'd still have to be in the lineup 75% of the time or more. He's the best defensive 3B we have, so I'd expect him to get a fair amount of time there, and also play a pretty significant amount at 2B with BRob perhaps DHing, not to mention spelling Hardy.

This. If BRob returns it will be because he demonstrated the ability to play effectively in the MiL. But he won't be able to play every day, so I could see him DH and 2B with Andino moving around 2B/3B/SS. Hardy could sure use a rest right now.

This. If BRob returns it will be because he demonstrated the ability to play effectively in the MiL. But he won't be able to play every day, so I could see him DH and 2B with Andino moving around 2B/3B/SS. Hardy could sure use a rest right now.

So if Roberts looks to be a -2 or so WAR player based on what he does in the minors do you think the O's release him? What if he looks done and still wants to make a comeback?

So if Roberts looks to be a -2 or so WAR player based on what he does in the minors do you think the O's release him? What if he looks done and still wants to make a comeback?
What does a -2 WAR player look like? If he can't slide and steal bases or hit, he won't be back. If he can it's worth giving him a shot. Unless you are enamoured of Nick Johnson, that's all we have to lose. As long as Andino hits they'll find a place for him to play.

What does a -2 WAR player look like? If he can't slide and steal bases or hit, he won't be back. If he can it's worth giving him a shot. Unless you are enamoured of Nick Johnson, that's all we have to lose. As long as Andino hits they'll find a place for him to play.

What if he wants to come back? What if he thinks he can do it and the O's FO disagrees? Do they cut him?

Many players think they can still play after they should hang it up. If the O's decide that is the case with Roberts, but do not think he will be incredibly bad, do they cut him or let him play?

What if he wants to come back? What if he thinks he can do it and the O's FO disagrees? Do they cut him?

Many players think they can still play after they should hang it up. If the O's decide that is the case with Roberts, but do not think he will be incredibly bad, do they cut him or let him play?

If he can't slide and steal bases, why do you think that would be? If he can't hit do you think it will be from a loss of bat speed? If these things aggravate his concussion symptoms, why would he play? He isn't now. If he can do these things without aggravating his symptoms, why not find out what, if anything he has left?

If he can't slide and steal bases, why do you think that would be? If he can't hit do you think it will be from a loss of bat speed? If these things aggravate his concussion symptoms, why would he play? He isn't now. If he can do these things without aggravating his symptoms, why not find out what, if anything he has left?

What I am asking is: Do you think the O's owe Roberts a chance to play on the MLB team if they think his performance will hurt the team more then it helps?

What I am asking is: Do you think the O's owe Roberts a chance to play on the MLB team if they think his performance will hurt the team more then it helps?
How are they going to come to this conclusion? Unlike you who seems to have reached it already based on nothing, they will have to see him play. Then it's like any other player who is not cutting it. You work out something with him. I really don't see the problem. The easiest thing IMO would be to agree to release him if he is willing to restructure his contract and spread it out over 10 years or so. Then he can try to sign on with another team, if he feels he can still play.

Roch just reported some on BRob.

It included this:

The Orioles still haven't set a target date for second baseman Brian Roberts to start playing games at extended spring training or go on an injury rehab assignment in the minors.

"He's progressing well. Little by little he's getting there," manager Buck Showalter said.

"I think it bodes well for the potential. He's doing a lot of things he wasn't doing and it's going to kind of be up to him. We're dealing with something that none of us are experts on. He has a lot more good days than bad. That's different.

The thing that struck me is Brian is still having Bad days. It sounds like it is going to be quite some time before Brian begins full baseball activities yet alone play with the Os.

The report saddened me. I had the impression that Brian was doing better than that.

If Roberts plays with the Os this season it won't be until well into the second half. Who knows who will be on the roster by then.

Archived