Dodgers Sign Andruw

Leo Gomez

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a specific reason that Jones would sign for only 2 years? Was this anticipated?

The reason given in the story I read was that he was interested in rehabilitating his career in time for one final big long-term payday.

This is an interesting signing for me. It could be argued that two years is very short for him. Also 18 million a year is too much considering the crappy year he had last year. On the other hand, Scott Boras is his agent so from that standpoint, it was for too little and for too short a period of time.

In the end, this could work out for the Dodgers.

I am still going to assume Kershaw and Billingsley will not be involved in a package for Bedard since Bedard and Schmidt are FAs in 2 years and Penny and Lowe are free agents after next year. Kershaw would still have a place in their rotation once he is ready. So with that said...

Pick a package:

The Dodgers offer:

Kemp, Elbert, Meloan, Laroche/Hu

The Mariners offer:

Jones, Morrow, Trunfiel, and Chris Tillman

Very tough for me to choose...

Kemp=Jones (maybe slight advantage to Kemp)

Morrow>Elbert (by a moderate amount)

Tillman>Meloan (by a small amount)

Laroche>Trunfiel but Trunfiel>Hu (or is Hu better?)

I still don't know who the Mariners would offer as a 3rd or 4th prospect, but I go back and forth based on the last pieces of each package.

It might depend on what we *think* we are likely to get back for Tejada and Roberts...if we could get Pie in a deal for Roberts, I start liking the Dodgers deal a lot more.

I'd take the Mariners package, and I'd ask for Balintien instead of Trunfiel . We need help now, not 2 years from now.

Also, there's a big difference between LaRoche (consensus top 50 prospect in baseball) and Hu (good organizational defensive player).

I am still going to assume Kershaw and Billingsley will not be involved in a package for Bedard since Bedard and Schmidt are FAs in 2 years and Penny and Lowe are free agents after next year. Kershaw would still have a place in their rotation once he is ready. So with that said...

Pick a package:

The Dodgers offer:

Kemp, Elbert, Meloan, Laroche/Hu

The Mariners offer:

Jones, Morrow, Trunfiel, and Chris Tillman

Very tough for me to choose...

Kemp=Jones (maybe slight advantage to Kemp)

Morrow>Elbert (by a moderate amount)

Tillman>Meloan (by a small amount)

Laroche>Trunfiel but Trunfiel>Hu (or is Hu better?)

I still don't know who the Mariners would offer as a 3rd or 4th prospect, but I go back and forth based on the last pieces of each package.

It might depend on what we *think* we are likely to get back for Tejada and Roberts...if we could get Pie in a deal for Roberts, I start liking the Dodgers deal a lot more.

I'd take the Dodgers offer if it's LaRoche. I think he is easily the most attractive player after Kemp/Jones. I'm not that high on Morrow and Triunfel is far away from the bigs and has the highest chance of being a bust out of those players imo.

There's a big difference between Laroche and Hu. Laroche has much higher value. Though I personally do really like Hu.

If it's LaRoche, I think I take the Dodgers trade. If it's Hu, I take the Mariners trade.

I still don't like trading with the Dodgers and leaving them with both Kershaw and Billingsly. Even if the two packages are comparable.

I'd take the Mariners package, and I'd ask for Balintien instead of Trunfiel . We need help now, not 2 years from now.

Also, there's a big difference between LaRoche (consensus top 50 prospect in baseball) and Hu (good organizational defensive player).

Hu is ranked as the 3rd best Dodgers prospect by BA, one spot below LaRoche, and will probably be in the 40-80 range in most prospect lists.

If the Dodgers are looking for a starter to put them over the top, why haven't I seen them mentioned as being involved in Santana trade talk?

Because they are being very stingy with their prospects. The same reason I'm not too excited about trading them Bedard.

Because they are being very stingy with their prospects. The same reason I'm not too excited about trading them Bedard.

They're not very stingy with their prospects, but of course they're stingy with guys like Billingsley, Kemp, and Broxton, who have already played at a great level in the majors, and have a ton of potential.

I'd take the Dodgers offer if it's LaRoche. I think he is easily the most attractive player after Kemp/Jones. I'm not that high on Morrow and Triunfel is far away from the bigs and has the highest chance of being a bust out of those players imo.

I don't disagree with you here, but regarding Morrow, the guy was a top-5 pick in the 06 draft and has all of 16 minor league innings. He is still projected to be a starter and his control did improve from July until the end of the year (4.76 BB/9 though he still ended up at 7+ BB/9, so it shows his control came a long way). Anyways, I think we may be over analyzing his MLB experience thus far since he has basically zero minor league experience.

I don't disagree with you here, but regarding Morrow, the guy was a top-5 pick in the 06 draft and has all of 16 minor league innings. He is still projected to be a starter and his control did improve from July until the end of the year (4.76 BB/9 though he still ended up at 7+ BB/9, so it shows his control came a long way). Anyways, I think we may be over analyzing his MLB experience thus far since he has basically zero minor league experience.

That's a good point, but I've read that there was already debate over whether he'd be a starter or a reliever before he was called up. His secondary pitches apparently require a decent amount of work in order for him to be a starter, and obviously the control is an issue. So I don't think it can be assumed that his role in the bigs will be as a starter.

It seems Elbert has more potential as well, and the reports are good concerning coming off his injury, so I'd take him over Morrow.

Archived