If they stay in contention - Trade Idea

vab

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd trade for Wright but no way I give up Britton or Machado. Maybe Schoop...maybe.

I just reviewed Wright's numbers and he would really help this team. Most likely he is a 4-5 WAR player each of the next 2 season at a position the Orioles currently can't defend.

But the value just isn't there. He peaked young and is owed tons of money. The Mets would have to eat a bunch of salary or take B prospects for him. If they wanted Schoop I would even want the trade contingent on Wright signing an extension (contract through 2016 about).

Chase Headley is a better option because he is going to cost less (definitely in dollars and likely in prospects), probably a better defensive player, and slots in really nice as a leadoff hitter in front of Reimold and Markakis. He's also under team control through 2014.

The Mets are probably going to want to extend Wright. As nice as it would be to have him, I don't think he's a realistic or worthwhile target. Also, I'm not giving up Machado for anybody short of an absolute superstar. David Wright circa 2005-2008? Sure. In 2012? No way.

I also think we should look to add another SP. Hunter should preferably be the long man in the bullpen. He's pretty ideal for that role because he throws strikes and has already shown his stuff plays up much better as a reliever because he definitely adds a few MPH. Hopefully Britton comes back strong and Matusz continues his improvements so we can bump Hunter out of the rotation internally, but if not, we should stay on the lookout. I've got my eyes on Brandon McCarthy right now, who is only under contract for this season, so we can get the picks and then have some money and a rotation spot available to go after the strong FA class of SP.

Could DD make this team happen this season? What would it take?

Lineup: Headley 3B, Reimold LF, Markakis RF, Jones CF, Weiters C, Hardy SS, Davis 1B, Reynolds/Betemit DH, Andino/Roberts 2B

Bench: Betemit/Reynolds CI, Flaherty/Roberts 2B, Chavez OF, Paulino C

Rotation: McCarthy, Arrieta, Hammel, Chen, Matusz (Britton AAA depth, Hunter as more starter depth)

Bullpen: Johnson, Strop, Lindstrom, O'Day, Ayala, Patton, Hunter (Neshek, Phillips, Pomeranz, Eveland in AAA)

I just reviewed Wright's numbers and he would really help this team. Most likely he is a 4-5 WAR player each of the next 2 season at a position the Orioles currently can't defend.

But the value just isn't there. He peaked young and is owed tons of money. The Mets would have to eat a bunch of salary or take B prospects for him. If they wanted Schoop I would even want the trade contingent on Wright signing an extension (contract through 2016 about).

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/david-wright/

I agree that he could help the team, there is obviously just no way you trade Machado AND Britton for him. He's making $15 mil this year with a $16 mil option for next year.

I would be tempted by something like Schoop and Tillman + guaranteed team-friendly extension from Wright if it really looked like we were on the verge of something special.

EDIT- His dWAR has been pretty pathetic the last few years, though, so I'm not sure if he's the greatest defensive solution. -1.8, -0.7, -1.2 the last 3 years.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/david-wright/

I agree that he could help the team, there is obviously just no way you trade Machado AND Britton for him. He's making $15 mil this year with a $16 mil option for next year.

I would be tempted by something like Schoop and Tillman + guaranteed team-friendly extension from Wright if it really looked like we were on the verge of something special.

EDIT- His dWAR has been pretty pathetic the last few years, though, so I'm not sure if he's the greatest defensive solution. -1.8, -0.7, -1.2 the last 3 years.

My own personal opinion is that dWAR is inaccurate enough that those numbers are virtually league average. And league average is a huge upgrade for this team at 3B!

Schoop and Tillman isn't a bad package so long the Mets are eating a good chunk of money and the Orioles get an extension done.

My own personal opinion is that dWAR is inaccurate enough that those numbers are virtually league average. And league average is a huge upgrade for this team at 3B!

Schoop and Tillman isn't a bad package so long the Mets are eating a good chunk of money and the Orioles get an extension done.

UZR is at -10.0, -10.6, and -10.5 as well. Funnily enough, Reynolds was better than Wright with this stat 2 of the last 3 years with -6.5, 2.2, but the ghastly -22.8 last year. Errors past three years have been 18, 19, 20 for Wright compared to 19, 18, 26 for Reynolds. Might not be as much of a difference as we would hope, although the present day performance of Wright is almost certainly better than that of Reynolds.

I knew it wouldn't be a real popular idea but not even one of you?

It's really overpaying tremendously for an aging, overpaid, overhyped player who is actually a decent player, but not great. Not anymore.

I would give them Justin Turner and Tim Byrdak, no more...

Kieth Law (who could never be confused for an Os fan) said "by the end of the year the Orioles could have the two top prospects in baseball" . And you want to trade one of them plus a very good pitching prospect for the chance at the playoffs.

Trade Muchado?

Trade Schoop?

Trade Britton?

Why are we trading our young prospects?

Schoop is clearly our 2B of the future.

Muchado is clearly our SS of the future.

Britton has the stuff to be a MOR starter.

Trade Tillman, Hunter, or Andino (ONLY depending on Schoop)

Archived