If they stay in contention - Trade Idea

vab

Why would KC want to trade Moustakas, though? We'd have to make a pretty significant offer for him, I'd think.

Im certain we would ...but it could be a deal that would hope both team. KC will be buried by he Allstar break.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love for the O's to acquire Wright (I'm one that doesn't care what money he's owed), but not at that price.

I wonder if the Mets would take a collection of B and C-level prospects if they wouldn't have to eat any of his salary?

I'd love for the O's to acquire Wright (I'm one that doesn't care what money he's owed), but not at that price.

I wonder if the Mets would take a collection of B and C-level prospects if they wouldn't have to eat any of his salary?

Tillman and Schoop for me, would be plenty to give up for Wright. I think I'd be willing to do that. Especially given what Andino seems like he's becoming. Those are two B+ type guys, I think. But, Given what we have in Andino, I'm much more willing to give up Schoop than I might have been before about ⅔ of the way through last season. It makes me excited to think about contending and what that entails!

Even thinking about trading for Moustakas, Headley, or Wright makes me happy. :)

Tillman and Schoop for me, would be plenty to give up for Wright. I think I'd be willing to do that. Especially given what Andino seems like he's becoming. Those are two B+ type guys, I think. But, Given what we have in Andino, I'm much more willing to give up Schoop than I might have been before about ⅔ of the way through last season. It makes me excited to think about contending and what that entails!

Even thinking about trading for Moustakas, Headley, or Wright makes me happy. :)

Does Tillman still have B+ status with his high era at AAA?

The biggest asset the O's theoretically have is the ability to take on payroll. IF the O's are in contention as the trade deadline approaches, then DD should be able to parlay that into some kind of impact acquisition. If Machado is ready by August, I could see the O's shipping Hardy out as part of a three way deal to acquire someone like Wright without having to part with any of our top prospects. That assumes the Mets are out of the race and looking to shed payroll / get younger. The fact they let one of the top veteran SS leave in FA last year rather than paying him suggests that management may be moving in that direction, so Wright might be in play.

I'd be fine with Headley over Wright. Better D, cheaper, and maybe not that much of a loss on offense. I bet Schoop and Tillman would get it done for Headley.

We shouldn't give up much at all if we have to pay him 15 million. he's injury prone and not worth the money we would have to pay him. I would not give up anyone that has star potential for him, that's for sure. Give the Mets a few minor prospects so that they can save face and let them dump his salary. If they won't do that, the hell with Wright.

Not Joking. We need more SP and a good 3B plus much more depth in the MiL in order to contend on a regular basis. Depending on how our SP looks at the deadline a Jones trade would bring us a good haul, and so would a JJ trade. If Strop can continue to maintain his command, he is a fine replacement at closer. Reynolds, if he ever finds his HR stroke again, could also bring some value. Our biggest trade chip is of course Wieters, but he will bring more in the off season, and I would try to extend him first.

Why the constant trading? Its not like these guys are washed up, they're just entering their primes. To blow up the team now would put us out of contention for 5-10 years, just when we're starting to show flashes that out time could be sooner. Remember the 2000 (or was it 2001) fire sale trades? Those sure put us on a great track.

The teams not perfect and could use some more depth but at what cost? To constantly blow ourselves up for PROSPECTS who may or may not pan out is ridiculous. Whether or not the early success continues it would make no sense to give up the talent we do have.

By the time the prospects we got back had matured, the guys we didn't trade would be to the point where you would probably be advocating trading them. I see what you're arguing in principle but its based off the assumption that the current team doesn't have the talent to compete consistently. Seeing as the Orioles are so young at the major league level, we honestly don't need a ton more minor league depth. Bundy, Johnson, Bridwell and Rodriguez are four decent to great SP prospects we have to augment a rotation without a single guy under 30. The only positional area of need is 3B, and maybe first. But its not like the Reynolds-Betemit platoon is totally hopeless either.

The biggest asset the O's theoretically have is the ability to take on payroll. IF the O's are in contention as the trade deadline approaches, then DD should be able to parlay that into some kind of impact acquisition. If Machado is ready by August, I could see the O's shipping Hardy out as part of a three way deal to acquire someone like Wright without having to part with any of our top prospects. That assumes the Mets are out of the race and looking to shed payroll / get younger. The fact they let one of the top veteran SS leave in FA last year rather than paying him suggests that management may be moving in that direction, so Wright might be in play.

True, but Hardy isn't any younger and still costs $7 million a year. He also has a limited no trade clause, and I feel like the Mets are a team that might be frequently named in those clauses.

Why the constant trading? Its not like these guys are washed up, they're just entering their primes. To blow up the team now would put us out of contention for 5-10 years, just when we're starting to show flashes that out time could be sooner. Remember the 2000 (or was it 2001) fire sale trades? Those sure put us on a great track.

The teams not perfect and could use some more depth but at what cost? To constantly blow ourselves up for PROSPECTS who may or may not pan out is ridiculous. Whether or not the early success continues it would make no sense to give up the talent we do have.

By the time the prospects we got back had matured, the guys we didn't trade would be to the point where you would probably be advocating trading them. I see what you're arguing in principle but its based off the assumption that the current team doesn't have the talent to compete consistently. Seeing as the Orioles are so young at the major league level, we honestly don't need a ton more minor league depth. Bundy, Johnson, Bridwell and Rodriguez are four decent to great SP prospects we have to augment a rotation without a single guy under 30. The only positional area of need is 3B, and maybe first. But its not like the Reynolds-Betemit platoon is totally hopeless either.

Jones has one year after this and is unlikely to extend. JJ can be replaced. Reynolds costs too much to pick up his option next year, even if he starts hitting. Trading three guys is hardly blowing up the team. Right now if one of our starters goes down, the best we have to replace them is Eveland. We need much more talent in our MiL.

M

Give us a proposal.

I'm not really the trade guru.... I usually defer to SG on this stuff.

Maybe Bergy/Berken/Tillman, R Welty/Hoes, Zagone, and a PTBNL (c type guy)

I think it would take a lot to get him as they have control of him for a while. I think Bergy or Berken would be very good NL pitchers. Welty could be our fastest moving position prospect. Zagone looks like he has real potential but is a ways out and a 4th guy from A or AA that's not one of our major guys ...Maybe a RP type guy.

Jones has one year after this and is unlikely to extend. JJ can be replaced. Reynolds costs too much to pick up his option next year, even if he starts hitting. Trading three guys is hardly blowing up the team. Right now if one of our starters goes down, the best we have to replace them is Eveland. We need much more talent in our MiL.

Why would Jones be unlikely to extend? The Orioles have cash to spend and he's worth as much if not more to us than other teams. Jones seems to like playing here; he's close with Buck and a leader on the team. Why would he leave? If a decent trade offer crops up for Reynolds at the deadline and we're not contending, moving him would make a ton of sense because his option is absurd. JJ's production matches or exceeds his contract, moving him wouldn't seem to make a ton of sense until Machado comes up, and even then he could possibly move to third.

We need SP depth, sure, but so does every other team. Pitchers capable of starting in the major leagues aren't exactly a dime a dozen, and once Britton comes back thats another quality guy. The Yankees and Redsox have both had to move relievers to the rotation this year, similar to what we were contemplating with JJ after last year, but didn't have to resort to.

Archived