Let's show up and give them a warm welcome home

crowmst3k!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice try.

That's pretty brutal for a game against the AL champs and after an exhilarating 17-inning win and great road trip against the Yankees and Red Sox. I know it was Monday and I know the weather was cool and dreary, but I thought at least 20,000 would show. Just goes to show that the Orioles have taken the first step and have people talking about them again, but most are still not buying in yet with their money.

That's pretty brutal for a game against the AL champs and after an exhilarating 17-inning win and great road trip against the Yankees and Red Sox. I know it was Monday and I know the weather was cool and dreary, but I thought at least 20,000 would show. Just goes to show that the Orioles have taken the first step and have people talking about them again, but most are still not buying in yet with their money.

its worse than that.

I took a friend last night who isn't really a baseball fan. I have gotten used to looking at a bad crowd and seeing very few people and thinking its 11,000 people. I told him thats what i thought the attendance was.

his response: " i have been to concerts with 11,000 people. 3 thousand might be generous."

: /

You won't see crowds down there until people are convinced that there is a legit chance they make the playoffs, IMO.

Agreed. This is what happens when thousands upon thousands of people don't renew their season tickets. I would love to see a comparison of season ticket plans from 1997 thru 2012. When people have 82 game plans, they give their seats away, sell them to friends etc. They have a resource and so they feel the need to use it. You plan your week around it. You plan your weekend around it. When things come up, instead of staying home, you say, well, I've got the ticket, I need to go.

The Orioles are reaping what they have sowed. It's a long process to getting consistently 25,000 again, let alone 30,000.

There is now another team in Maryland. The Orioles have sucked for 14 years.

The fans are not in the habit of coming. This wont change till they are in their second year of competing.

I hate to say this, but it's almost better to watch a game at home anyway. Maintaining a home life and career isn't easy, mixing in several Orioles games makes it more challenging. The time (I'm an hour away from the stadium), the parking, the food/beer, the tickets (although they're pretty cheap), and also the little things.

With MASNHD, it's hard not to prefer just chillin' on the couch and watching the game, and also picking up on all the small things. Mechanics, location, Palmer's analysis, etc. All the while talking with all of you fine folk in the Game Threads.

The other thing is that with a 162 game schedule, watching one game at the stadium is pretty insignificant. I like going to Ravens games because there are only 16 games and only 8 home games... each game is significant to the end result. There's also the buzz/atmosphere because it's sold out. There's also the legen-wait for it-dairy tailgating.

I'm as die hard as they get (as all of you are as well), but there are more pros to watching the Orioles games at home than to going to the stadium. Opening Day is an exception, so is September baseball when the O's are in contention, so is the playoffs.

That said, I'm going to three games this week (including last night and tonight), so I obviously don't practice what I preach, but this is how I feel.

fairweather fans ftl

If by "fairweather" you're referring to fans who are literally waiting for better weather, then yes, it's accurate to call them "fairweather." Once it gets closer to summer and it's warmer outside, attendance will increase.

Also, capital letters are your friend. Please use them. Posts written entirely in lower case are hard to read.

Archived