Matusz needs to go down and reinvent himself

Chevytrckman3

Ah yes, the last two starts. Walked 4 against NY, and hardly looked great IMO. Guess the two good starts sanwhiched between a 1-9 with an almost 11 ERA 2011, and tonight should give me reasons to think he's turned a cornered? Sorry, i'm just not convinced. Even in the previous two starts you mentioned, he didn't have great command. Atleast, not good enough, when you combine it with the stuff he has, to be successful on a consistant basis. He will show flashes yes, but i'm just not seeing it in him. It's not about beating up on Matusz.

Kind of amazing. People can knock Greg, but don't get on one of the board favorites. Like it or not, Matusz is to the starting rotation what Greg is to the bullpen. Inconsistant, and never know what your going to get from one game to the next.

In a (non) word: gah.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its the same problem, fastball command. That's really it. He's holding his own.

He's left a couple of off-speed pitches over the plate, but generally down. I agree, a lot of it is FB command. You can see it immediately when he flies open.

He's 5 outs away from registering a QS against the top offense in the AL, but no, clearly, we have better options waiting in AAA

I'll give credit where credit is due. He's hung in there. Hopefully I reversed-jinxed him. Not sure why so many took this thread as a personal bash against Matusz. Maybe it was the " I really hope he succeeds " part of the post?

I'll give credit where credit is due. He's hung in there. Hopefully I reversed-jinxed him. Not sure why so many took this thread as a personal bash against Matusz. Maybe it was the " I really hope he succeeds " part of the post?

If I ever tell you "No offense but" Prepare to be offended.

The frustration is definitely understandable, he really hasn't turned that corner....yet and he certainly hasn't reached the potential many of us thought he had when he was drafted. The thing is, what else can he do down in AAA? Last year is completely different than this year IMO. He was injured for much of last year and this year he's looked better.

He needs to be better, that much is certain, or at least more consistent, but he's either going to sink or swim up here.

He's left a couple of off-speed pitches over the plate, but generally down. I agree, a lot of it is FB command. You can see it immediately when he flies open.

That was basically the point I was attempting to make. He's just raring back and throwing. Unlike when he first came up, when he would use his fastball to set up the change. Now, it seems like he's trying to be a power pitcher, instead of mixing it up.

The frustration is definitely understandable, he really hasn't turned that corner....yet and he certainly hasn't reached the potential many of us thought he had when he was drafted. The thing is, what else can he do down in AAA? Last year is completely different than this year IMO. He was injured for much of last year and this year he's looked better.

He needs to be better, that much is certain, or at least more consistent, but he's either going to sink or swim up here.

I guess I look at the Halladay situation, and see what he did. But, Matusz doesn't have Halladay stuff. So, to compare the two situations isn't fair. So, I guess it is sink or swim here.

If I ever tell you "No offense but" Prepare to be offended.

I really don't take things personally on here. I made a comment, and touched some nerves on here. I just hope no one loses any sleep over anything I say, because I know I won't over any comments at me :)

He doesn't look like he was during the end of the 2010 season, but:

a) He's one of the top 5 pitchers in the organization not named Britton or Bundy

b) He's gotten good results against three of the best offenses in the game

I get what you're saying about the stuff, because the BBs are a concern, but the guy literally just had the worst season a pitcher has ever had, he's come back to be a pretty average pitcher in a very short period of time. He's earned the chance to have a few bad starts in a row without too much questioning, let alone three good starts.

Archived