Matusz needs to go down and reinvent himself

Chevytrckman3

I say just send him down. This isn't another season down the drain where he can just keep pitching like crap ever other game or so. We are in first place! Looking pretty good. Let him figure it out in AAA.I'm so tired of him. Lets bring someone up and give them a shot or try a trade or free agent. Not a time to fool around. He may have had those 2 or or whatever good starts, but he didn't look very good. Same with hunter. Hunter is another problem. Everything seems to be in the middle of the plate. Not sure how he hasn't given up more runs then he has. He needs to be in bullpen or sent down. I'm ready to win now. I'm done being patient

This is understandable, IMO.

At some point, you have to put on the big boy pants.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worrisome that he has to maintain perfect location to log a good game. Granted he's literally all over the place tonight but the batters just don't respect his "stuff" in general... sometimes he mixes some pretty plus curves/offspeed stuff but there's just no sustained consistency there. I don't think he will make it even as a #5. It's a shame because I believe he worked his ass off this offseason.

Of course threads like these are made after he has a bad start, never mind the two good ones he had just made before. Consistency is something missing at times.:rolleyes:

He's had 1 really good start ...The rest have been mediocre or worse. So IMO its not reactionary. He's been worse than the guy that got demoted today.

Of course threads like these are made after he has a bad start, never mind the two good ones he had just made before. Consistency is something missing at times.:rolleyes:

You could make the case that the two decent starts were the abnormality. Should two decent starts erase the previous three, where he gave up 13 ER and walked 11 in 14.2 IP? Consistency has been missing in Brian Matusz whole career in the majors, except for that flash at the end of 2010. And how many teams did he face taking looks at late season callups?

I think there probably is when he was a top 5 pick. You want to and need to hit on those guys. That said, I am at a loss of what has happened to Matusz. I think some lesser competition would be good for him though.

I understand that but it probably all evens out. You find guys like a Jason Hammel or Wei-Yin Chen and you've suddenly made a significant improvement to your rotation if they keep it up.

Actually, he got shelled by the Angels. Maybe you mean against the Jays?

I didn't bother to look it up so probably. He went 6 gave up 0ER 2 unearned runs. The Angels game must have been the one where the normally lights out bullpen let the inherited runners score, turning a decent line into a bad line.

I didn't bother to look it up so probably. He went 6 gave up 0ER 2 unearned runs. The Angels game must have been the one where the normally lights out bullpen let the inherited runners score, turning a decent line into a bad line.

Yeah. And it's not so much about the final lines for me. Matusz just looks out of whack on the mound. I'd say let him figure it out here, but we possibly have a chance to experience something really good this year. I know i'm being greedy, and I know Matusz could be a part of the future, but we are in 1st place and playing well. I'm a little tired of basically a sure loss coming every 5th day from Matusz. And that goes for Hunter too, in which he hasn't been as bad as Matusz, and he already got shipped down.

He's left a couple of off-speed pitches over the plate, but generally down. I agree, a lot of it is FB command. You can see it immediately when he flies open.

When i first read this, I thought you said the problem was that his fly was open. Then I re-read it, and it sounds like the same problem he had all of last year. His velocity is up compared to last year, which is good. But, he still can't command his FB. When he first came up, his command was great - wasn't it? What happens to change command? Confidence? Mechanics? What gets him back to the "old Matusz"?

Archived