Hoping for a rainout tonight

crowmst3k!

Actually the last doubleheader against Texas was in the second week of the season last year, on April 9. The O's won the first game behind Zach Britton to improve to 6-1, then lost the nightcap to start an 8-game losing streak.

I was going to say, because I was there for the first game. Great crowd, but pretty crappy conditions for a ball game. Reynolds hit his first home run as an Oriole in that game, an absolute jacked one to left. Coincidentally it was off Colby Lewis. Boy would I like a repeat of that this afternoon.:scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The odds of the Orioles and Yankees getting Monday night's game in are not good, and for Tuesday they are questionable. Here are the teams' mutual days off and scenarios for the rest of the season (assuming all other games go as scheduled, ha ha)....

Thursday, May 24. The Yankees play the Royals at home at 7:05 on the 23rd, and will embark on a road trip that begins with a 10:05 game in Oakland on the 25th, and continues with two more games in Oakland, three in Anaheim, an off-day May 31st, and three in Detroit. The Orioles will be in the midst of a six-game homestand; they play Boston at 12:35 on the 23rd, and KC at 7:05 on the 25th.

Thursday, May 31. This is the off-day in the Yankees' road trip mentioned above. They play in Anaheim at 10:05 on the 30th, and Detroit at 7:05 on June 1st. The Orioles will be in the middle of a road trip, playing in Toronto at 7:07 on May 30th and in Tampa Bay at 7:10 on June 1st.

Monday, June 4. The Yankees are scheduled to finish their road trip with a 1:05 game against Detroit on the 3rd, and start a homestand on the 5th with a 7:05 game against Tampa Bay. The Orioles will still be on the aforementioned road trip, with a 1:40 game in Tampa on the 3rd and a 7:10 game in Boston on the 5th.

Thursday, June 21. The Yankees will finish a home set with Atlanta at 1:05 on the 20th, and play at the Mets at 7:10 on the 22nd. Meanwhile, the Orioles will have played the Mets in a 7:10 contest on the 20th, and will be set to play the Nationals at home at 7:05 on the 22nd. This is the Yankees' sole scheduled off-day between June 14 and July 5.

Thursday, August 2. The Yankees and Orioles will have just finished playing each other in a three-game set in New York, concluding with a 1:05 game on the 1st. The Yankees will continue their homestand on the 3rd against Seattle at 7:05, while the Orioles will continue their road trip in Tampa Bay on the 3rd at 7:10. This is the Yankees' sole scheduled off-day between July 26th and August 23rd, and is the Orioles' sole scheduled off-day between the All-Star break (which ends July 12th) and August 13th.

Thursday, August 23. The Yankees will be in the middle of a six-game road trip, having played the White Sox at 8:10 on the 22nd, and getting ready to play Cleveland at 7:05 on the 24th. The Orioles will be returning home from a six-game road trip against Detroit and Texas, having played Texas at 8:05 on the 22nd, and facing Toronto at 7:05 on the 24th. This is the Yankees' sole scheduled off-day between the 2nd and the 30th, and is the Orioles' sole scheduled off-day between the 13th and September 10th.

Monday, September 10. The Yankees and Orioles will have just finished playing a four-game series in Baltimore, the last a 1:35 start on the 9th. The Yankees will continue their road trip in Boston with a 7:10 game on the 11th, while the Orioles will continue their homestand on the 11th with a 7:05 game against Tampa Bay. This is the Orioles' sole scheduled off-day between August 23rd and September 20th, and the final mutual off-day of 2012 for the two teams.

If Monday's game is rained out and Tuesday's isn't, I would figure June 4 for the make-up date. Only question would be the time. If both games get rained out, it will become more challenging. The May dates involve the Yankees either leaving for or coming back from the West Coast. Playing on any of the post-All-Star Break dates involve leaving one or both teams with four weeks or more between off-days. June 21 would be the next best date to June 4, but it's in the middle of interleague play, so someone (somewhere in MLB, not an OHer) will complain about it.

The odds of the Orioles and Yankees getting Monday night's game in are not good, and for Tuesday they are questionable. Here are the teams' mutual days off and scenarios for the rest of the season (assuming all other games go as scheduled, ha ha)....

Thursday, May 24. The Yankees play the Royals at home at 7:05 on the 23rd, and will embark on a road trip that begins with a 10:05 game in Oakland on the 25th, and continues with two more games in Oakland, three in Anaheim, an off-day May 31st, and three in Detroit. The Orioles will be in the midst of a six-game homestand; they play Boston at 12:35 on the 23rd, and KC at 7:05 on the 25th.

Thursday, May 31. This is the off-day in the Yankees' road trip mentioned above. They play in Anaheim at 10:05 on the 30th, and Detroit at 7:05 on June 1st. The Orioles will be in the middle of a road trip, playing in Toronto at 7:07 on May 30th and in Tampa Bay at 7:10 on June 1st.

Monday, June 4. The Yankees are scheduled to finish their road trip with a 1:05 game against Detroit on the 3rd, and start a homestand on the 5th with a 7:05 game against Tampa Bay. The Orioles will still be on the aforementioned road trip, with a 1:40 game in Tampa on the 3rd and a 7:10 game in Boston on the 5th.

Thursday, June 21. The Yankees will finish a home set with Atlanta at 1:05 on the 20th, and play at the Mets at 7:10 on the 22nd. Meanwhile, the Orioles will have played the Mets in a 7:10 contest on the 20th, and will be set to play the Nationals at home at 7:05 on the 22nd. This is the Yankees' sole scheduled off-day between June 14 and July 5.

Thursday, August 2. The Yankees and Orioles will have just finished playing each other in a three-game set in New York, concluding with a 1:05 game on the 1st. The Yankees will continue their homestand on the 3rd against Seattle at 7:05, while the Orioles will continue their road trip in Tampa Bay on the 3rd at 7:10. This is the Yankees' sole scheduled off-day between July 26th and August 23rd, and is the Orioles' sole scheduled off-day between the All-Star break (which ends July 12th) and August 13th.

Thursday, August 23. The Yankees will be in the middle of a six-game road trip, having played the White Sox at 8:10 on the 22nd, and getting ready to play Cleveland at 7:05 on the 24th. The Orioles will be returning home from a six-game road trip against Detroit and Texas, having played Texas at 8:05 on the 22nd, and facing Toronto at 7:05 on the 24th. This is the Yankees' sole scheduled off-day between the 2nd and the 30th, and is the Orioles' sole scheduled off-day between the 13th and September 10th.

Monday, September 10. The Yankees and Orioles will have just finished playing a four-game series in Baltimore, the last a 1:35 start on the 9th. The Yankees will continue their road trip in Boston with a 7:10 game on the 11th, while the Orioles will continue their homestand on the 11th with a 7:05 game against Tampa Bay. This is the Orioles' sole scheduled off-day between August 23rd and September 20th, and the final mutual off-day of 2012 for the two teams.

If Monday's game is rained out and Tuesday's isn't, I would figure June 4 for the make-up date. Only question would be the time. If both games get rained out, it will become more challenging. The May dates involve the Yankees either leaving for or coming back from the West Coast. Playing on any of the post-All-Star Break dates involve leaving one or both teams with four weeks or more between off-days. June 21 would be the next best date to June 4, but it's in the middle of interleague play, so someone (somewhere in MLB, not an OHer) will complain about it.

Don, this is a great post, and it is much appreciated. However, I think you may be getting some OFFNY-itis. The time and effort that it took you to write this was probably even more time-consuming than my silly font-and-colored posts. :eek::)

Don, this is a great post, and it is much appreciated. However, I think you may be getting some OFFNY-itis. The time and effort that it took you to write this was probably even more time-consuming than my silly font-and-colored posts. :eek::)

Heh...well, the rescheduling became a topic of conversation last week with the Texas series, so as the specter of another rainout began to loom, I took a quick look at the schedule. It certainly took longer to type than to think about, but I figured someone may want to know.

How about they play, and we get 7 innings out of the SP. and move on..

It's pretty unlikely. If tonight is rained out, they will probably look to the mutual off-days. The best doubleheader option is September 8, which would create a five-game series over four days. I believe it's been done before, but creating a lengthened series during the last month of the season, whether via a doubleheader or a five-day, five-game series, likely won't sit very well with the clubs.

As for the current weather, most of the rain is still west of I-95, though downtown has started to get some measurable rainfall during the late morning. The odds are still not great for getting the game in, but I'm sure they will wait as long as they can before making a decision. The chances of playing on schedule tomorrow are better than they appeared last night.

Great research and detail, but I think if both games get rained out, we see some double headers later in the year. These guys HATE giving up off days, especially ones in the middle of road trips like many of the examples above.

Archived