McPhail left this morning

amateurfan

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have trust that AM got plenty of offers for Bedard and he wants to sort threw them to see which offer best suits the club. Let's not forget 11 teams were interested.

Bedard is the guy most valuable in a trade. After we trade him we will have a better idea of what else we need to get in a Tejada or Roberts trade. I'm not saying that Roberts or Tejada won't be traded before Erik, but AM and company would have to be blown away.

Let's not all get up in arms about coming home with no moves. We should be somewhat used to this. I for one am willing to wait until Spring Training to grade our offseason performance.

I have trust that AM got plenty of offers for Bedard and he wants to sort threw them to see which offer best suits the club. Let's not forget 11 teams were interested.

Bedard is the guy most valuable in a trade. After we trade him we will have a better idea of what else we need to get in a Tejada or Roberts trade. I'm not saying that Roberts or Tejada won't be traded before Erik, but AM and company would have to be blown away.

Let's not all get up in arms about coming home with no moves. We should be somewhat used to this. I for one am willing to wait until Spring Training to grade our offseason performance.

Right on, dude.

I'll be thankful when something actually comes true. :P

I've been around here long enough to appreciate our insiders, and realize that the information they give us is 100% accurate. Most of the time it doesn't come true, but that's the nature of inside information. How many times do the goons on ESPN report things and then they never happen? If anything our insiders make this place a lot more enjoyable, and I thank them for keeping us updated on what is going on behind the scenes.

We always walk away.

Seriously, i hate this team. If they come back next year with basically the same team, i may just be done with them.

I never took you for one of the knee jerk crowd. Take a day and calm down, you know as well as the rest of us a great deal of ground work was laid, and now is the time for the serious work to get started. I am disappointed as the rest that nothing major happened, but I'll be darned if I just want to give these guys away just for the sake of getting something done.

Agree with you 100%. I really wish anyone could provide us with a reason for optimism. The fact that a ton of teams want Bedard, but we haven't been able to get an offer that meets our needs, worries me.

Its quite simple, actually. Numerous teams are intersted in Bedard and Tejada, yet its not what AM is looking for? He has obviously overvalued these players and should take what he can get. They do us no good opening the season in Baltimore. I know there are 4 months left until Opening Day, but screw it, its the same thing every year! We'll see where things lie in a few months, and I will be the first to admit IF I'm wrong, but all I see is the same crap we've seen from every other GM we've had...ie...all talk and no action make Dippy a mad boy! Red Rum...Red Rum...Red Rum!

It's only December 6th.

I remember the "it's only November 6th" posts too. And, the "it's only 2001" posts. No need to worry...we'll always improve later! Didn't someone post some AM comments saying that if deals weren't completed at the WM, that the team would have to wait a while for anything serious to be done? He seemed to think the WM were a very important milestone...well, that milestone passed without him doing jack.

Its quite simple, actually. Numerous teams are intersted in Bedard and Tejada, yet its not what AM is looking for? He has obviously overvalued these players and should take what he can get. They do us no good opening the season in Baltimore. I know there are 4 months left until Opening Day, but screw it, its the same thing every year! We'll see where things lie in a few months, and I will be the first to admit IF I'm wrong, but all I see is the same crap we've seen from every other GM we've had...ie...all talk and no action make Dippy a mad boy! Red Rum...Red Rum...Red Rum!
Depending on whats officially been on the table, I don't think we've gotten a good enough offer for Bedard yet. I think we will get good enough offers to move him, but holding him until the deadline isn't a terrible option either. Only problem is we'd then have to trade him almost exclusively for guys still in the minors whereas we can get guys with some MLB experience right now.

Dippy,

Sorry to try to calm you down. However, don't you think it's possible that we left Nashville with numerous offers for Bedard, Tejada and Roberts. Some probably very good offers, others not so good. However wouldn't it be in our best interest to take all these offers back home compare all of them and the different pieces we will obtain with each offer, and then accept the three individual offers that help the team the most. I don't think it has anything to do with McPhail overvaluing Bedard. We've heard nothing about teams withdrawling themselves from the Bedard talks. We've not officially heard any team withdrawling themselves from the Tejada talks, and we didn't hear anything about Roberts being traded until yesterday.

Let's give these things some time, and try to calm down a little bit. I have no doubt we've got some decent offers, and something will be done.

We always walk away.

Seriously, i hate this team. If they come back next year with basically the same team, i may just be done with them.

While I won't be done rooting for them, I will be done talking about them here. Call it an extended sabaatical until they make a real, lasting course correction.

Of course we ALL wanted to see something huge happen at these meetings, but there is still a lot left going on and I believe we are still going to be washing away veterans here shortly.

I like this tidbit:

"I was up last night -- way beyond what I normally am," MacPhail said late Wednesday afternoon. "My last conversation ended just before 1 [a.m. CT], and honestly, I'm generally in bed three hours before that. This has taxed me. I've drank more coffee than I have [at home], and I'm an older guy. But we stay up as long as we think there's something to stay up for."

I am pretty sure that a lot of groundwork has been laid. Outlines to a few potential deals here and there.

I still say that Bedard and Tejada get moved very soon, if not by the end of today.

Now... if the same roster is intact on opening day, then we can all scream. But... I think what is more important is that no quick, irrational deals were made just for the sake of doing it. Did you see that Astros deal for Tejada being reported from that Houston station? That would have sucked had we really made that deal.

Just wait a little longer... I know we are all restless. There should be a few big things going on...

I find this to be very pathetic for a person in his position with the amt of work he has to do.

Dippy,

Sorry to try to calm you down. However, don't you think it's possible that we left Nashville with numerous offers for Bedard, Tejada and Roberts. Some probably very good offers, others not so good. However wouldn't it be in our best interest to take all these offers back home compare all of them and the different pieces we will obtain with each offer, and then accept the three individual offers that help the team the most. I don't think it has anything to do with McPhail overvaluing Bedard. We've heard nothing about teams withdrawling themselves from the Bedard talks. We've not officially heard any team withdrawling themselves from the Tejada talks, and we didn't hear anything about Roberts being traded until yesterday.

Let's give these things some time, and try to calm down a little bit. I have no doubt we've got some decent offers, and something will be done.

Before the WM, we had the same type of posts. "Wait until the WM..." Now, it's "The WM are over, no big deal...just wait until _______________." We just keep ignoring the current milestones of inaction and waiting for the next, expecting things to somehow change.

Archived