Xavier Avery

luismatos4prez

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strongly disagree here. Plus D in the OF and blazing speed. He offers a lot of things that Flaherty doesn't. They are good players to have for the IF and OF.

Right. I like Flaherty, but I wish they would leave him in the infield and stop batting him lead off.

I'm excited to see what Avery brings to the table.

The O's have an interesting bench at the moment. Hall can play anywhere, Flaherty can play anywhere, Tolleson can play anywhere. I really like how Exposito looks behind the plate and I'll think he'll eventually hit around .250 with some doubles. Interesting 25-man, to say the least.

Yep. All the moves being made seem to line up. Exposito is a vast improvement over Paulino behind the plate if not quite the bat, Flaherty can play all over, so can Hall, Tolleson has looked good with the glove, so maybe Avery adds some speed we didn't have temporarily. Guess if he starts in left today we can expect him to bat lead off, eh?

Need both a 40 man and 25 man roster move for Avery ?

Could it finally be Gregg ?

PS - Is Hammel starting tomorrow ? , If not who would ?

I saw something that said he should be ready Monday or Tuesday. To keep everyone on proper rest, he'll need to be available tomorrow. I really don't mind having Hammel and Chen against the Yankees in the two game set.

No, moving Roberts to the 60 day DL makes the most sense.

You may be right on that. I hope Roberts can come back - he's only 34 after all. Regardless, he appears to be an animated assistant coach at this point. Maybe that's in the not so distant future.

Strongly disagree here. Plus D in the OF and blazing speed. He offers a lot of things that Flaherty doesn't. They are good players to have for the IF and OF.

Avery has never been considered a plus defender in the outfielder. He has outstanding speed but he;s always had suspect routes and jumps in center. We'll see how he handles left. He played left in high school so maybe it will be more natural for him.

This is an interesting one.

The easy answer seems to be Eveland.......but not so fast. Answer this question. If Hammel's knee forces him to the DL on Monday, who replaces him in the rotation? It would be Eveland. If Eveland has been DFA'd it would be Pineiro maybe. Is he ready? Steve Johnson should not be brought up yet. Tillman is not in a groove yet. The starter depth will be a little thin until Britton is ready in June. It may be time to keep Eveland for a while yet.

The other choices.

Pomeranz - Although Pomeranz looks like a keeper, he has a option and there are several relievers that could fill in for him in the next 10 days if Pomeranz is optioned - Miguel Gonzalez, Berken, Neshek, Socolovich or Villarreal could all be short term replacements. In the short term Pomeranz may be the best move.

Matusz - Yes, he pitched well enough yesterday to stay, but in a roster crunch he has an option and Eveland will probably be claimed if waived. At least Matusz would be available to return in 10 days. If Hammel goes on the DL, Matusz can be recalled immediately from AAA.

Hunter - See Matusz.

Starters are in demand during the season and that favors Eveland staying as a long reliever for now. Is that the way it will go down. I can't predict Buck and DD.

As far as the 40 man roster move. It time to put Roberts of the 60 day DL retroactive to the start of for the season.

Gets the call in LF and will lead off today. He's wearing Rodrigo Lopez' old #13.

Buck has been very strange with the lead off position today. Avery, making his MLB debut, will be expected to set the table against James Shields.

I really don't understand the hate towards Kevin Gregg. Sure, he has had some bad appearances but I think the way he is being used now he has been effective. He might not be able to give you innings every other day, but he is getting guys out when his name is called.

Reminds me a little of Jesse Orosco when he started with that awful peformance, but eventually he cut that era to something respectable.

Probably as good a chance against him as anyone else in the leadoff spot. Tough assignment, though, for the kid.

I guess on the bright side, while Avery has not faced Shields, Shields has also not faced Avery.

Archived