Xavier Avery

luismatos4prez

We'll see. It would be unusual for a guy with a .328 minor league OBP and a 7% walk rate to become a good major league leadoff hitter, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I think Avery's defensive scouting report reads something like "has the tools to mostly make up for poor reads and routes."

The kid is 22 years old. He is still developing. He looks like he has a lot of talent though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The kid is 22 years old. He is still developing. He looks like he has a lot of talent though.

Right. This is one of those "exceptions" where the circumstances surrounding a player are very important in order to give the numbers context. In Avery's case, he has been young at each level, progressed a level each year, and started from a baseline that was generally less refined than a typical 2nd Round high schooler due to his attention at the prep level being split between baseball and football and the generally light competition he faced.

That said, I don't think anyone should count on him being an on-base machine. But his Minor League numbers need to be appropriately framed.

It doesn't matter what UZR says if you don't believe it accurate. Certainly the AL managers value Nick's defense.

Just as they highly valued Raffy's the year he played 25 games at first, and they highly value each of Derek Jeter's 8 cm of lateral range.

You continually dismiss and mock UZR, but put your faith in other metrics we know to be highly, consistently flawed.

Ahh, someone else still living in 2008. Say what you will about UZR, but Nick is working on his fourth consecutive season with a negative score. One season is a small sample size, but four is pretty damning.

Nick is still a great fielder. He can make great plays coming in on the ball but over the years I have noticed he has trouble making plays on balls behind him.

My perfect one will prove you all wrong! :) In all seriousness, he looks good in LF so far but hasn't really been challenged. I would love to see him in Fenway:)

I like the move and think we should let him play out there.

Now, let's get a SP and a 3B/1B that can field and we are ready to go!

My perfect one will prove you all wrong! :) In all seriousness, he looks good in LF so far but hasn't really been challenged. I would love to see him in Fenway:)

I like the move and think we should let him play out there.

Now, let's get a SP and a 3B/1B that can field and we are ready to go!

Avery is not ready yet to be a FT MLB OF'er. He would be another Felix Pie. He needs to get back down to AAA ASAP to keep developing. He's only 22 and needs more time.

I think Nick is generally pretty good going back and coming in on balls. My problem with him is his side to side range and I believe he plays too deep in a park with a short RF. You don't see many balls going over his head unless they are homeruns or off the wall. IMO, that means he just plays too deep.
I believe he plays deep because with a shallow RF, he can get better angles on ball in the gap. If he played more shallow, more balls would get by him between RCF and RF.

Avery is not ready yet to be a FT MLB OF'er. He would be another Felix Pie. He needs to get back down to AAA ASAP to keep developing. He's only 22 and needs more time.

You should tell him that:) Fuel from the nah-sayers!:)

In all seriousness, until the Braves signed Pie, I thought we should have given our lack of OF depth and the fact nobody else can play CF.

We will see, regardless I am pulling for the kid!

X strikes again! He is poo-poo-ing your more time premise:)

X strikes again! He is poo-poo-ing your more time premise:)

Kid's using his skills to buy himself more time up in the big show. Good for him. Hope he can keep making it work. With his speed he could force both CI's to play on the inner grass every at bat.

Archived