Talked to my guy today....

Belkast

So you want a player just as good as Roberts, only younger, cheaper, and 4 more years from free agency.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

There is a reason prospects are called prospects. There's a risk because they haven't established themselves as major league players yet. You trade established production for upside because the team in "win now" mode needs an established performer while the team in "rebuilding" mode needs potential for the future. Neither Gallagher, Murton, or Patterson have a whole lot of that. You should at least get someone back who has some chance of being close to as good as Roberts.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The revenue from licensed merchandise like jerseys is shared equally by all 30 teams.

The O's got just as much from all those Damon jersey sales as did the Red Sox.

Thanks, for the info. I did not know that.

See, you learn something new every day.

Do they? My problem with trading him now is that the offer on the table involves 2-3 mediocre players/prospects. Pie I guess is worth a risk because he's the Cubs former top prospect, but though he's extremely physically talented, he lacks virtually all the things that make Roberts great... instincts on the basepaths and in the field, batting eye, ability to work the count... in other words, "the little things." We should not have to throw in a prospect with Roberts to get Pie + a lesser prospect. Roberts needs to go in the right deal, not the first one to come along.

Agreed.

My point is unclear.

Roberts is an asset for his ability to play baseball. He is also an asset as a member of the community and as a marketing tool for an organization. All of these reasons increase his trade value. So, I don't buy the argument that you don't trade Roberts because he is good for the community or because he is the face of the franchise. I think these concepts make him more attractive to other teams thus increasing the return Roberts will bring in a trade.

Archived