Talked to my guy today....

Belkast

First off, let me be the 736th person in this thread to offer up my thanks to Belkast (as well as the other insiders) for your posts. I appreciate them.

I also think that at this moment, Andy MacPhail really appreciates having the hot, left-handed starter who doesn't have a no-trade clause sitting on his "players available to trade" shelf!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, let me be the 736th person in this thread to offer up my thanks to Belkast (as well as the other insiders) for your posts. I appreciate them.

I also think that at this moment, Andy MacPhail really appreciates having the hot, left-handed starter who doesn't have a no-trade clause sitting on his "players available to trade" shelf!

Ahhh. Screw you Belkast! Just kidding. We kid about Peter Gammons being a pawn of GM's sometimes because of his c nnections. Do you think there is somneone to monitorr him?

This is like some sick psychology experiment.

Hey, I heard from my guy tonight. Something is going to happen before Spring Training.

Now I expect no beef about this prediction or else I'm going to rant and threaten to never post again.

Hi there-

Have you been paying attention? He was admonished by the Hangout staff and apologized several times publicly.

Just so we're clear...you are free to doubt/question/refute/debate/etc. anything Belkast or any other poster says, insider or not, as long as your comments stay within the board rules and policies. However, the post quoted above clearly qualifies as trolling.

If you have a problem with him, other posters, or the way this board is moderated, feel free to contact me directly and privately.

But for once, he is right.

Belkast said he wasn't going to go into detail...Just stop asking so many questions...If he wanted to say more, he would have.

Sorry SG...this exactly contradicts the principles behind having a message board in the first place.

Insider or not, anything posted here is open to questioning and scrutiny as long as it stays within the board rules and policies.

Sorry SG...this exactly contradicts the principles behind having a message board in the first place.

Insider or not, anything posted here is open to questioning and scrutiny as long as it stays within the board rules and policies.

Thank you ScottieB! The voice of reason prevails once more.

One suggestion if I may be so bold, Why not have the insiders post articles on the front page when they have new info? This would make it much easier for those who come here primarily for that info to find their reports, and any debate could be carried out on the message board and the insiders could choose to participate or not.

I love the insider info and appreciate the he!! out of these guys for sharing it with us, but when an insider is here on the message board as just another Hangouter, giving their opinions they should expect to be treated as such. In a thread yesterday Bigbird was trashing the heck out of AM over going to bed too early, (in his opinion), and his words were obviously the result of his dislike for AM. He has every right to share those views, however, 1) It will make me wonder how much his personal feelings about AM are tainting his insider info from now on, and 2) I was very anxious the whole time I was disagreeing with him for fear I would be kicked off the board, or attacked by some on here that think challanging an insider on anything is heresy. For those reasons I would further suggest that "insiders" use different screen names when here for idle chit-chat. This would further protect their sources and put them on equal footing with their fellow posters!

Just this old man's humble opinion.

Thank you ScottieB! The voice of reason prevails once more.

Yes, except that questioning them (in the sense of doubting them) wasn't the point. The insiders post what they hear, but then other people keep bugging them for even more information. What they hear is privileged information and revealing too much of it could cost someone a job. If they could safely give additional information, they probably would.

The constant begging for more scraps from some people seems as if it might have gone to the heads of some other people, which created a mindset that could have resulted in last night's brouhaha.

Keep begging for more information other than what people feel comfortable providing, and it sets up an unequal relationship in which a sense of perspective is lost. It's similar to the old thing about power corrupting.

Yes, except that questioning them (in the sense of doubting them) wasn't the point. The insiders post what they hear, but then other people keep bugging them for even more information. What they hear is privileged information and revealing too much of it could cost someone a job. If they could safely give additional information, they probably would.

The constant begging for more scraps from some people seems as if it might have gone to the heads of some other people, which created a mindset that could have resulted in last night's brouhaha.

Keep begging for more information other than what people feel comfortable providing, and it sets up an unequal relationship in which a sense of perspective is lost. It's similar to the old thing about power corrupting.

and if you read beyond the first sentence of my post I suggested a reasonable plan for avoiding just that scenario!

This is a "MESSAGE BOARD". Which is traditionally where people go to state their opinions, challenge what they disagree with, and ask for further clarification when they don't fully understand. That is why so many "newbies" (God I hate that demeaning word) get trashed on this site. They are used to traditional message boards where you can speak your mind and no one has privileged status.

You said "What they hear is privileged information and revealing too much of it could cost someone a job." Exactly why they should be posting their info outside of a message board format!

If anyone gets annoyed with any other poster (as long as the board rules and policies are observed), insider or otherwise, they are free to A) ignore said poster's "begging for more scraps" or B) place them on their Ignore List. No one has such a privileged status here that they can't be asked a question.

In the meantime I won't admonish any poster (nor will I allow them to be admonished by anyone else) for asking for more information. Obviously if it borders on trolling, I'll step in. Otherwise, see the previous paragraph.

***EDIT***

By the way, you'll notice several deleted posts through out this thread. We all appreciate (yours truly included) what Belkast brings to the table with information, but it's been a firm stance by the Hangout staff to prevent any insider thread from spinning into a Love Fest. You want to let someone on the board know how much you appreciate what they contribute to our community? Throw 'em some rep points! Send them a PM! Don't, however, contribute to a 5-page "We love you! Thank you! You're the only reason I come here!" thread. Not even bigbird, Belkast, or Peace21 want that.

Sorry if all that comes off as abrasive, but I'm just trying to keep things in perspective.

If anyone gets annoyed with any other poster (as long as the board rules and policies are observed), insider or otherwise, they are free to A) ignore said poster's "begging for more scraps" or B) place them on their Ignore List. No one has such a privileged status here that they can't be asked a question.

In the meantime I won't admonish any poster (nor will I allow them to be admonished by anyone else) for asking for more information. Obviously if it borders on trolling, I'll step in. Otherwise, see the previous paragraph.

***EDIT***

By the way, you'll notice several deleted posts through out this thread. We all appreciate (yours truly included) what Belkast brings to the table with information, but it's been a firm stance by the Hangout staff to prevent any insider thread from spinning into a Love Fest. You want to let someone on the board know how much you appreciate what they contribute to our community? Throw 'em some rep points! Send them a PM! Don't, however, contribute to a 5-page "We love you! Thank you! You're the only reason I come here!" thread. Not even bigbird, Belkast, or Peace21 want that.

Sorry if all that comes off as abrasive, but I'm just trying to keep things in perspective.

If I can chime in here.....Lets everyone remember this a board about our favorite team...The Orioles, and we should keep the discussions to the Orioles. I do love when people post their opinions on what myself,BB, and Peace post, but I don't think it is necessary to praise us for posting our info. I think I can speak for BB and Peace and say we do appreciate most posters appreciation in what we post but we would rather everyone discuss the topic at hand.

If I can chime in here.....Lets everyone remember this a board about our favorite team...The Orioles, and we should keep the discussions to the Orioles. I do love when people post their opinions on what myself,BB, and Peace post, but I don't think it is necessary to praise us for posting our info. I think I can speak for BB and Peace and say we do appreciate most posters appreciation in what we post but we would rather everyone discuss the topic at hand.

Thanks for backing me up!

I'm not saying no one should comment. There's plenty of comments in this thread saying thanks, but it's followed up with baseball discussion. Like Belkast said...that's why we're here.

As I stated previously...throw him some rep points or drop him a PM saying thanks or something.

I think people compliment you guys to counter act the few people that are always sure to complain about your predictions and bash you. People are scared that if they don't counter those people, you will think people aren't grateful and will stop posting. Glad you made that post though.

Back on track here...

I've heard that the Cubs' "Plan A" is:

Figgins for CF

Fukudome for RF

Roberts for 2B

So everyone get cracking on the 3-ways that land Figgins and Roberts in CHI, Tejada in LAA, and a bunch of young guys in BAL.

Okay back to Baseball. With the information that I have gathered I believe Roberts could go to the Cubs soon. We all know Roberts is a fan favorite and has done a good job in the community, and the fans with knowledge know by trading him we would be moving in the right direction in rebuilding. What do you think the "casual fans" reaction would be? Do you think it would be a PR nightmare for the front office?

Okay back to Baseball. With the information that I have gathered I believe Roberts could go to the Cubs soon. We all know Roberts is a fan favorite and has done a good job in the community, and the fans with knowledge know by trading him we would be moving in the right direction in rebuilding. What do you think the "casual fans" reaction would be? Do you think it would be a PR nightmare for the front office?

If we get back some good prospescts (Pie), I doubt most fans will react too terribly to trading Roberts.

I like Roberts, he's one of my favorite current players. But I don't think he'll resign, and the team is not likely to contend the next couple years. So, he should go, and hopefully go somewhere he has a chance to win.

I'm very happy if Roberts gets traded, but I think it first makes sense to wait until we trade Bedard and Tejada to see what holes we need to fill. As people alluded to yesterday, if we don't get a CF prospect back in those deals, we really should do what is necessary to get Pie.

Archived