vs. YANKEES 5/14

OFFNY

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But Ive known Nick Swisher for years. He's a great guy. Super friendly to fans, very self effacing and very very funny. Just my thoughts.

You can go on hating him if you want, but he and Granderson are GREAT guys. There are plenty of other Yankees to dislike.

Granderson seems genuine and likable to me. Swisher has never done anything to warrant dislike from me but it is just something about his facial expressions that I don't like looking at. I dunno. He isn't my least favorite but I don't know any of these players personally. I just don't like Alex Rodriguez, that's all I know haha.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But Ive known Nick Swisher for years. He's a great guy. Super friendly to fans, very self effacing and very very funny. Just my thoughts.

You can go on hating him if you want, but he and Granderson are GREAT guys. There are plenty of other Yankees to dislike.

Fair enough. It's difficult to know whom to like and dislike when you aren't "in the business". I don't know anyone who plays or played baseball professionally, except those whom I've talked to on these boards. I'm just an armchair fan. A dedicated one, but just a fan.

I only formulate my opinions about players based on their behavior on the field. Swisher seems much too proud of himself when he does something like hit a home run. That arrogance is what turns me off to him. He's always smiling like a jackass and going "YEEEAAA!!!! I deed it, daddy, I deed it!!!" whenever he hits a homer. Other players are pretty much pokerface running the bases, unless they get a walk-off grand slam in the 17th... THEN you're allowed to smile. But a solo homer in an 8-2 game? No, you jog the bases, you hi5 your players and you sit the eff down.

I know how it is misleading to judge someone without ever interacting with them personally, because you don't get a sense of their character. But baseball players are professional performers and actors as much as they are professional sports competitors. Swisher's act just doesn't sit right with me for reasons I've stated, and I agree with callahan09 above also.

I always been a Yankee hater. As a kid I loved Mickey Mantel. Saw he many times in DC and Baltimore.

To be fair, if he was an Oriole, I'd probably love him...

But the weird thing is, I don't know of any O's who have played in recent memory that act even remotely similar to Swisher. It's like we intentionally recruit players who are modest, quiet and self-contained... they only let their emotions show in the post-game and on walk-off wins.

We're even relatively unlikely to get into fights. I recall the bench-clearing brawl with Gregg and Ortiz, but overall the O's will take a lot of flak and not do that kind of thing. You can tell they're pissed but they don't do anything about it.

Injuring a starting pitcher is one of the hardest things to take for a team. That's really unfortunate, even if it is the MFYs. I have no dislike for Nova. Bad luck, kid :(

Edit: Amazing that he seems to be okay. It might come back to hurt him later in this game or in the long run though. That was a ROCKET. I imagine that ball hit him at between 100 and 125 mph.

Archived