Keith Law Has O's Taking Gausman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more I hear about Correa the more I like. That being said Gausman seems like a solid choice.

Agree with this.

Everything I read about Correa has me hope he is there at 1-4 and we take him, regardless of any other player. That said, I will be fine with Zimmerman or Gausman. Can never have enough hard throwing kids like them. If Correa is gone by 1-4, I would want Giolito. But it isn't my money.

But, strange that Law goes out of his way to say the O's are NOT involved with Giolito. Perhaps this is just what it is. Maybe bonus demands and injury have GR and DD moving in another direction. It's a shame because you bring in Rick Petersen to work with kids like him. Or, is DD going low-profile here so he can swoop in and get the kid he wants.

Agree with this.

Everything I read about Correa has me hope he is there at 1-4 and we take him, regardless of any other player. That said, I will be fine with Zimmerman or Gausman. Can never have enough hard throwing kids like them. If Correa is gone by 1-4, I would want Giolito. But it isn't my money.

But, strange that Law goes out of his way to say the O's are NOT involved with Giolito. Perhaps this is just what it is. Maybe bonus demands and injury have GR and DD moving in another direction. It's a shame because you bring in Rick Petersen to work with kids like him. Or, is DD going low-profile here so he can swoop in and get the kid he wants.

The industry "consensus" right now is that Giolito is heading to UCLA. As I noted earlier, I think the market for him is essentially limited to 3 or 4 teams, and for two of those teams they would need to make Giolito essentially their sole draft pull. I personally don't see him taking, say, $3.5 MM. UCLA has had a solid recent track record as far as developing pitchers and keeping them relatively healthy. He and McCullers, to me, seem like the most likely to go to school and rank 1-2, in some order, come 2015.

The industry "consensus" right now is that Giolito is heading to UCLA. As I noted earlier, I think the market for him is essentially limited to 3 or 4 teams, and for two of those teams they would need to make Giolito essentially their sole draft pull. I personally don't see him taking, say, $3.5 MM. UCLA has had a solid recent track record as far as developing pitchers and keeping them relatively healthy. He and McCullers, to me, seem like the most likely to go to school and rank 1-2, in some order, come 2015.

Thanks Nick. That makes sense.

Gausman beat South Carolina over the weekend, 5-2. He threw a complete game, giving up two runs on five hits. He walked two, struck out six.

Note Gausman against Top 25 RPI teams this year:

SO%: 26%

BB%: 5%

GB/FB: 1.47

WHIP: 0.90

SO/BB: 4.875

Plate appearances for RPI top 25 teams against Gausman ended in a ground ball or strikeout over 50% of the time.

I don't like a guy who has issues with his release point. Makes you question his athleticism/muscle memory. If he can't repeat his motion, that could be a real problem. Daniel Cabrera had all the talent in the world but he was unathletic and could not repeat his delivery.

This is a very interesting tidbit regarding Gausman courtesy of youtube.com

The stupid powdered donuts thing is enough to dissuade me from taking the guy. Turk Wendell was ridiculous, so is any guy that thinks he needs to eat 4 powdered donuts between innings. I know guys are superstitious, but this is taking it to the absurd.

No offense, but I find that it would be absurd to drop a guy off your list because of a superstition.

Also, I really like the idea of adding Almora or Correa, but I feel like some on here are undervaluing Gausman.

No offense, but I find that it would be absurd to drop a guy off your list because of a superstition.

Also, I really like the idea of adding Almora or Correa, but I feel like some on here are undervaluing Gausman.

I have to agree, he're is a draft eligible sophomore pitching in the toughest conference in baseball. The Twins are looking at him at #2 so we may not even get a shot at him. I also love Correa but as we can see from this year, you're only as good as your pitching staff.

I have to agree, he're is a draft eligible sophomore pitching in the toughest conference in baseball. The Twins are looking at him at #2 so we may not even get a shot at him. I also love Correa but as we can see from this year, you're only as good as your pitching staff.

Why would you say that? To me a superstitution so extreme as believing that you have to eat 4 powdered donuts in between each inning is a sign of a weak mind. This isn't wearing an old shirt. This is something that is demonstrably not good for him. If he starts to fail in th minors or majors, I wonder whether he would be able to deal with it.

At this pick there are a lot of guys that are very close in talent. This would be enough of a negative for me to pick someone else at that spot. I am not saying I wouldn't pick him period, just not at 1:4.

Why would you say that? To me a superstitution so extreme as believing that you have to eat 4 powdered donuts in between each inning is a sign of a weak mind. This isn't wearing an old shirt. This is something that is demonstrably not good for him. If he starts to fail in th minors or majors, I wonder whether he would be able to deal with it.

At this pick there are a lot of guys that are very close in talent. This would be enough of a negative for me to pick someone else at that spot. I am not saying I wouldn't pick him period, just not at 1:4.

With that eating chicken every day thing hanging over his head I knew that Boggs guy wasn't going to make it.

Archived