Antonelli Claimed By Yankees

Brendan25

He also could potentially be a boat anchor for the lineup. He was showing signs of decline before the injury and now he hasn't played in over a year. I hope Roberts can come back and play well, but I have little reason to believe we would be getting spark plug Roberts back.

As for Antonalli, I guess I don't get keeping Jai Miller and his 60 K's in 138 PA over him. He started out slow and he hasn't shown much in AAA, but with our whole at third base, I'm not sure why we would decide he's not worth keeping around. I don't think this is a huge loss, but the the fact the Yankees claimed him suggests others see value in him.

The O's didn't keep Jai Miller over Antonelli. Miller had to be placed on waivers to get him to Norfolk on April 3rd. No one claimed him and that is why he is still with the Tides. The Yankees did claim Antonelli and that why he is moving on. Otherwise he would probably be with the Tides also.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a Tides season ticket holder' date=' this really pisses me off.

We already have next to nothing in terms of offensive talent down here in Norfolk. Now we are giving up one of the better guys on the team (and I agree with others, he's not that good, but it really just speaks to the lack of quality in the farm system right now, at least at the AAA level) all because we aren't willing to put a guy on the 60 day DL that should have been there all along.

A dumb dumb move by the front office. Sacrificed a decent player and some half way decent minor league depth for NOTHING.[/quote']

This! All I can think is that they made verbal promises to Antonelli to get him to sign here and then it became clear he wasn't going to see the Majors for a while and they decided to be nice and let him go b/c they wanted Antonelli to succeed.

This move seems REALLY short sighted to me. There was no need to do it. They could have put BRob on 60day DL retroactive to forever ago. Just dumb.

I get that travel and being in large crowds is part of Brians rehab...but there are other ways to get that done, and you have to take into account his age. If B-Rob was a 25 year old future star going through this, it might be worth a roster spot to make sure he gets back and anchors the leadoff spot and second base for the next tem years. But face it, even if his rehab goes perfectly he might give you a couple of years of average major league play.

I think they should have put him on the 60 day, and had him travel with the team (lots of team employees not on the roster travel with the team) and watch the game from a private box.

Agreed.

We already have next to nothing in terms of offensive talent down here in Norfolk. Now we are giving up one of the better guys on the team (and I agree with others, he's not that good, but it really just speaks to the lack of quality in the farm system right now, at least at the AAA level) all because we aren't willing to put a guy on the 60 day DL that should have been there all along.

A dumb dumb move by the front office. Sacrificed a decent player and some half way decent minor league depth for NOTHING.[/quote']

Certainly an understandable reaction from a Tide's fan. There isn't much there to get excited about.

Roberts to the 60-day DL was the right move instead of losing a a depth player.

Yep. Again, for me, it's more about the process than the quality of the player.

He also could potentially be a boat anchor for the lineup. He was showing signs of decline before the injury and now he hasn't played in over a year. I hope Roberts can come back and play well, but I have little reason to believe we would be getting spark plug Roberts back.

Yep.

He looks like he's lost 15 pounds at least. He's 34 years old to Robert Andino's 28. Who knows whether, after having his head beaten, he's still got the fine motor skills and vision necessary to recognize pitches and be a high OBP guy. I think his return to the line-up would be more of a distraction than anything. Are other, now better players going to be pushed out of the way so he can play? Is this a... gasp... Angelos thing?

As someone that spent 3 summers with Harbor Park as their closest stadium (Mets affiliate years) I agree. Hampton roads does a pretty good job supporting the Tides and they deserve a better team then the O's have provided them.

I would imagine the reason they don't want to put Roberts on the 60 day DL is becaquse they don't want to set a time table either way. If he goes on retro active then they have set a deadline for him to begin his rehab. If they set it as of today then he can't join the team before 60 days. The reality of his readiness is probably less than 60 days.

I would imagine the reason they don't want to put Roberts on the 60 day DL is becaquse they don't want to set a time table either way. If he goes on retro active then they have set a deadline for him to begin his rehab. If they set it as of today then he can't join the team before 60 days. The reality of his readiness is probably less than 60 days.

We are on day 43 now. Do you think Roberts is going to be ready in under three weeks?

We are on day 43 now. Do you think Roberts is going to be ready in under three weeks?
He is on the 15 Day correct? Doesn't that mean he has 30 days in the MiL to rehab before he has to be activated? I would think he will begin rehabbing in Sarasota in about a week or two and then go to Bowie or Norfolk for two or 3 weeks more. I could see him back around the end of June.

I know that second-guessing is a major part of being a baseball fan. We do it with players, managers and GM's. But, in this case, I have to ask -

Do any of those who disagree with the Antonelli move believe that Duquette and Showalter are ignorant of the 60-day disabled list? That they haven't considered putting Roberts on it? That they haven't made a conscious decision, for reasons unknown to us, not to use the 60-day list?

Is it not possible that after watching Antonelli for 30 days during spring training and another month of minor league baseball, that Duquette has simply made a judgement that two other teams have made before? That Antonelli is not, and is not going to become, a productive major league player.

Snyder is the only guy that we've jettisoned who has done anything significant and no one thought he belonged on the major league roster. Rapada has also gone to the Yanks. But, again, no one was clamoring for a LOOGY who's only role was to face one left handed hitter and then run like hell for the dugout.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but even with decline and injury history, I think Brian Roberts is more likely to contribute something positive for this team than Antonelli ever would - or will for anyone else.

I know that second-guessing is a major part of being a baseball fan. We do it with players, managers and GM's. But, in this case, I have to ask -

Do any of those who disagree with the Antonelli move believe that Duquette and Showalter are ignorant of the 60-day disabled list? That they haven't considered putting Roberts on it? That they haven't made a conscious decision, for reasons unknown to us, not to use the 60-day list?

Is it not possible that after watching Antonelli for 30 days during spring training and another month of minor league baseball, that Duquette has simply made a judgement that two other teams have made before? That Antonelli is not, and is not going to become, a productive major league player.

Snyder is the only guy that we've jettisoned who has done anything significant and no one thought he belonged on the major league roster. Rapada has also gone to the Yanks. But, again, no one was clamoring for a LOOGY who's only role was to face one left handed hitter and then run like hell for the dugout.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but even with decline and injury history, I think Brian Roberts is more likely to contribute something positive for this team than Antonelli ever would - or will for anyone else.

1. I'm sure they are very aware of the rule, i think they (or Angelos) has made the decision that Roberts needs to be in the dugout during games. (I disagree).

2. Doesn't matter if you think Roberts will contribute more than Antonelli, moving B-Rob to the 60 day you could have both, and not lose any time with Roberts since he won't be back before the 60 days is up anyway.

I agree with much of what you wrote, but I don't think this last point is the right way to look at the Antonelli DFA. It isn't a question of whether Antonelli or Roberts is more likely to contribute in the future. We should be considering what value Roberts will bring over the next three weeks versus losing Antonelli to another organization. If Roberts isn't going to bring value over the next three weeks, then, as many others have pointed out, we should've moved him to the 60-day and kept Antonelli for depth. I would rather than Antonelli in the org than Hall or Tolleson, but that's a different debate. We should've moved BRob to the 60-day and kept all three of the others.

Yawn.

Interesting to note... But.... I don't care. Everyone is hating in BRob. But according to that sun article, he's probably getting ready for some game action after this road trip. How about some positive thoughts.... He could be a huge addition to the squad!

He'll be worse than Antonelli.

Archived